Author Topic: why does a mod always lock threads in off-topic?  (Read 11290 times)

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
Re: why does a mod always lock threads in off-topic?
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 14:24:16 »
Thanks for the info hashbaz, your posts cleared things up a bit.

#favoritemodstatus
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 14:25:21 »

I guess that I am in the minority, but I find such childish nonsense to be very entertaining.  I love a good poking of the bear.  Oblivious, humorless people that fall for the nonsense and cannot identify the troll are the real problem.

I don't mind it in moderation.  In fact, I'd say it's necessary sometimes; however, they were flooding.  That will get you banned almost anywhere. 

If you're going to troll, do one good troll instead of 50 ****ty ones, especially if they're all in the span of two days.

Fine point.  A good troll shall never get identified as a troll.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline Malphas

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 14:25:23 »
I'd disagree with poor judgment and killjoy.  They were flooding the sub-forum with pointless or controversial spam to get a rise out of people.  Personally, I'm amazed they allowed it to go on for as long as they did.

I'd disagree with poor judgment and killjoy.  They were flooding the sub-forum with pointless or controversial spam to get a rise out of people.  Personally, I'm amazed they allowed it to go on for as long as they did.

Nah, I get that, but it wasn't working. A few suckers went for it, wading in with "omg stop making these dumb threads" comments, but for the most part no-one took the bait and some people actually discussed the subject in earnest, regardless of the motivation the OP had making the thread (which was actually funny).

Regardless, the threads weren't actually disruptive and are clearly labelled, including the poster, so they're easy to ignore. The off-topic forum in general is fairly slow anyway so they broke up the monotony a bit, more than anything.

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #53 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 14:34:21 »

I noticed some of those threads and stayed away as I knew it was just going to be an argument.

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
  • All your base are belong to us!
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 14:35:34 »
we are lucky we even have a off topic area.
A large percentage of the threads in OT are garbage that get locked and waste the mods time.
They have better ways to spend there time then policing the off topic threads.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #55 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 14:46:13 »

Nah, I get that, but it wasn't working. A few suckers went for it, wading in with "omg stop making these dumb threads" comments, but for the most part no-one took the bait and some people actually discussed the subject in earnest, regardless of the motivation the OP had making the thread (which was actually funny).

Regardless, the threads weren't actually disruptive and are clearly labelled, including the poster, so they're easy to ignore. The off-topic forum in general is fairly slow anyway so they broke up the monotony a bit, more than anything.

Well said, sir.

I'm just glad the 3 WORD STORY THREAD wasn't locked...
tp thread is tp thread

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Malphas

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 14:51:14 »
we are lucky we even have a off topic area.
A large percentage of the threads in OT are garbage that get locked and waste the mods time.
They have better ways to spend there time then policing the off topic threads.

But they don't need policing... We're all adults, I'm sure we can decide for ourselves what threads are and aren't worth taking part in.

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #57 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 14:52:18 »
"we're all adults"
lol right
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 14:52:55 »
.... We're all adults....

Actually, no. There are children that are forum members, and plenty who access the forum as guests.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 14:56:16 »
Do you mean children or teenagers
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline Malphas

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 14:56:53 »
Well if you're going to take me overly-literally, then I'll rephrase that as we're all self-aware human beings capable of rational thought that don't need babysitting or other people to decide what topics of conversation we take part in, then.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 14:57:00 »
Do you mean children or teenagers

They sure don't seem to be mutually exclusive...

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 15:00:17 »
I agree that a "banned" flag in the avatar would be helpful.  Not sure if that's just how SMF is, or whether we can configure it to do that.

If it can show muted and have custom texts, I don't see how a banned flag isn't possible.

Offline jwaz

• * based mod
  • #geekhack on freenode
« Reply #63 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 15:01:04 »
I agree that a "banned" flag in the avatar would be helpful.  Not sure if that's just how SMF is, or whether we can configure it to do that.

If it can show muted and have custom texts, I don't see how a banned flag isn't possible.

It isn't impossible at all, code changes are just difficult at the moment.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 15:01:05 »
Well if you're going to take me overly-literally, then I'll rephrase that as we're all self-aware human beings capable of rational thought that don't need babysitting or other people to decide what topics of conversation we take part in, then.

I'm not sure that can be assumed, either.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 15:01:41 »
We're all humans
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 15:03:18 »
We're all humans

It's possible that's a true statement. Are we 100% certain there are no artificial intelligences browsing GH?

in memoriam

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 15:03:42 »
We're all humans

ARE WE NOW???

(jk, I'm half human)
tp thread is tp thread

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 15:04:12 »
We're all humans

It's possible that's a true statement. Are we 100% certain there are no artificial intelligences browsing GH?

So far no bots that I see

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 15:05:35 »

Again, I agree in general.  Under this doctrine we let a lot of stuff go that could probably be justifiably locked/removed.  But in this particular instance, MW had been flooding the OT forum with troll threads.  That's a terrible precedent to allow and I think it overrides the more casual stance to him that I usually try to take given his age on the forum and long history of amusing Windows propaganda.  I left some threads alone that seemed to be having legit conversation despite MW's intent, but many had become arguments as intended.
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 May 2014, 15:08:55 by hashbaz »

Offline domoaligato

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 15:10:44 »
We're all humans

So far no bots that I see

Just what a bot would say!

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #71 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 15:11:15 »
If MW kept all his posts either keyboard or windows related, it would have been fine and dandy. Like his mousepad IC, that was pretty amusing. But the generic trolling threads are just crap and aren't even amusing

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #72 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 15:15:09 »
This went exactly where I expected.

I vote against troll threads. There's a difference between trolling and being off topic.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 16:01:40 »
Late to the party, but hey...I showed up.

Maybe if he came up with some better material. After a while all the IE6 and Win98 posts got REALLY old...

And remember what happened last time they banned him? He created a new account, they IP banned him, so he logged on from several different IPs before the admins/mods finally gave up and unbanned him.

It's easy to see how users who weren't active participants for 3, 4, 5 years or more could appreciate and see some degree of novelty in his posts. The issue is that it wears off quickly, and in the context of GH as a community there is nothing new about it.

And yes, those of us who remember John Deer (sic), as in Deer power supplies, all share a special but meaningless part of GH history.
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #74 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 16:35:30 »
The off-topic forum is not a free-for-all.  The forum rules still apply.  The threads that have been locked were very clearly intended to incite argument and drama (i.e., trolling).  MW and the1onewolf have dramatically ramped up the noise recently.  Locking their threads was intended to squelch them a bit, both because the threads were going off the rails and because it's against the rules to spam the forum with garbage.

I went through a ton of off-topic threads last night that were recently posted by MW and the1onewolf, closing some and leaving others (and even posting in some).  This was not a blanket action but has been specifically targeted at particular threads.

MW has been temp-banned, and I'm sure he'll be back.  He's already attempted to create a second account to circumvent the ban, which is also against the rules.  Transparent enough for you?

Remember that (1) we are under-staffed and (2)  the mods are volunteers with lives and family and school and work just like everyone.  Those of you who know me personally through skype or IRC or whatever know that I am always open to discussing this stuff.  This thread is totally valid and TBH I expected someone to post something like it, but frankly we don't have the time or the obligation in general to justify all moderator actions publicly.

The only issue I ever had with either of them was the1onewolf's signature trainwreck. His signature annoyed me badly enough I would have turned down free clacks/bros from him just on principle  :))

I noticed some of those threads and stayed away as I knew it was just going to be an argument.

This is pretty much 100% true for me, almost all of the posts in question were clearly troll topics/posts that would have been lame even if they were legit so I never even open the majority of them. A few topics weren't bad, like the internet data/speed posts but they were more of an exception.

FWIW, I think removing the topics/user was the right move. They were lame as **** and I think we're better off not having that garbage clog up the forum, including the off-topic area.
« Last Edit: Tue, 27 May 2014, 19:45:38 by strict »

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #75 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 16:40:07 »
tp thread is tp thread

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 17:30:16 »
[...] and because it's against the rules to spam the forum with garbage.

Uh-oh :eek:
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #77 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 18:10:11 »

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #78 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 18:13:34 »
Mods should just steer clear of Off Topic altogether.

This is not your land, begone foul beasts of repression!

wonder how long till this topic gets locked.....

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #79 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 18:53:18 »
wonder how long till this topic gets locked.....

I've been responding here all day, so I'm gonna say ... a long time?

Offline dante

« Reply #80 on: Tue, 27 May 2014, 22:01:12 »

Offline tinlong117

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #82 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 00:09:22 »
As much as I feel this place can feel over-moderated at times, I guess it's better than under-moderated.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #83 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 00:10:59 »

Offline tinlong117

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #85 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 08:36:54 »
Sometimes I miss the way the forum was when I joined a few years ago. There was no real moderation. Sure often threads were derailed with wildly off topic remarks and random animated gifs and lego pictures... and there were a few quite bad flame wars, but it was fun. It felt like how I remembered the internet being in the late 80's/early 90's, a no holds barred frontier. Back when I joined the forum felt like... an illegal rave at an open all night donut shop. Now days I often think it feels more like an office party. It's still a lot of the same people but acting 'growed up'.
I think the real problem is not people being silly, posting worthless content... but that there are too many thin skinned cry babys that take things too seriously. Personally I don't see the need for moderator intervention in many cases. Sure, if people are being wholly vicious to the point where it is a serious disruption there should be some words/action taken but that is generally few and far between as most members aren't that way.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 May 2014, 08:39:48 by IvanIvanovich »

Offline Malphas

« Reply #86 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 10:50:05 »
Yeah, skins here have definitely gotten a lot thinner compared to a few years ago.

Offline dante

« Reply #87 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 11:42:05 »
Sorry if my animated graphic offended anyone (OTOH - if it offended why did you not delete it?)

I'll try to keep it G rated.

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #88 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 11:44:12 »
Sorry if my animated graphic offended anyone (OTOH - if it offended why did you not delete it?)

That GIF was equal parts hilarious and disturbing, but not offensive IMO.
tp thread is tp thread

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #89 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 12:04:50 »

Not morally offended, just visually.   :confused:

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #90 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 12:06:05 »
You had me scared for a second there hashy... thought you were gonna lock this thread too...
tp thread is tp thread

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #91 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 12:07:02 »
Sometimes I miss the way the forum was when I joined a few years ago. There was no real moderation. Sure often threads were derailed with wildly off topic remarks and random animated gifs and lego pictures... and there were a few quite bad flame wars, but it was fun. It felt like how I remembered the internet being in the late 80's/early 90's, a no holds barred frontier. Back when I joined the forum felt like... an illegal rave at an open all night donut shop. Now days I often think it feels more like an office party. It's still a lot of the same people but acting 'growed up'.
I think the real problem is not people being silly, posting worthless content... but that there are too many thin skinned cry babys that take things too seriously. Personally I don't see the need for moderator intervention in many cases. Sure, if people are being wholly vicious to the point where it is a serious disruption there should be some words/action taken but that is generally few and far between as most members aren't that way.

The amount of moderation we do is actually shockingly small compared to the size of the forum.  We've been dealing with thread derailment and spam because it's a much bigger problem than it was in the old days.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #92 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 12:14:21 »
But can't a forum evolve? Change from just being about keyboards, and become something more? A community of people, rather than a place that has nothing but keyboard information peppered in random time?

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #93 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 12:17:36 »
But can't a forum evolve? Change from just being about keyboards, and become something more? A community of people, rather than a place that has nothing but keyboard information peppered in random time?

While GH has never been a home for me, I have to say; the forums that I've really been a core member of are those that evolve past there original topic and intention.
But those have been much smaller forums.

I'm not sure if it could work but maybe running a no hold bars (bar porn ofc) general chat thread in the OT section might be a nice way for people to banter, argue, troll etc etc in one place without filling OT with nonsense threads that just end up getting closed?

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #94 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 12:20:22 »
GH18+ subforum pls

unmoderated
tp thread is tp thread

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #95 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 12:23:07 »
21+, I would suggest. Though it's impossible to verify age online, so in reality, anyone could come in...

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #96 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 12:28:31 »
21+, I would suggest. Though it's impossible to verify age online, so in reality, anyone could come in...
apart if ur a haxor
but they're ****ing losers
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

Offline baldgye

• Will Smith Disciple
« Reply #97 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 12:29:21 »

+13 becasue its legal in japan looooooooooooooooooooool
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 May 2014, 12:34:56 by baldgye »

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #98 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 13:19:19 »
I don't know... maybe I just don't notice it or something or you moderator guys move fast to delete? But I don't really notice a high amount of spam/derailment. It's certainly much less than it was 3 years ago. But most of those worst offenders from back then are not around anymore whether from being banned or just leaving on their own. I guess I would just maybe do things different like move/merge all that stuff into a thread like 'so and so's random observations' instead of delete/lock stuff.
As far as time waste threads... maybe bringing back first post preview on title hover (can SMF even do that?) might help curb some anger against people that like to make silly threads? Then if you haven't even opened the thread perhaps people won't feel obliged to comment at all? As we all know, the best way to beat a troll is not to respond at all. Generally if people don't feed their behavior they get bored and stop... eventually.

Offline paicrai

• * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #99 on: Wed, 28 May 2014, 13:20:43 »

+13 becasue its legal in japan looooooooooooooooooooool
wait what

13 year olds can do the sex in the japanimes?
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI