Author Topic: Stacking Keyboards  (Read 1819 times)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Stacking Keyboards
« on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 07:58:28 »
How do you guys feel about stacking keyboards??

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Stacking Keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 07:59:57 »
It allows you to store a large number of them in a small volume of space.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 08:13:18 »
Looks like a reasonable storage plan. Just make sure the buckling spring boards are on top. You don't want to leave those keys in a compressed state for years.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 08:14:40 »
Nope nope nope nope nope.  If I care so little about them as to stack them, I probably don't need them.  And that is not a feeling I have ever had.

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 08:19:59 »
I don't think I'd ever have that many keyboards to stack them in such a manner...

I just throw them on a desk, on the floor, on the backseat of my car, etc.

EDIT: This looks like a MW-style thread. :))
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 July 2014, 08:21:43 by Computer-Lab in Basement »
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 08:27:45 »
While the photo is definitely a joke, the idea is semi serious.

Like the mention of putting the buckling springs on top.....anyone have an argument against stacking a few mx keyboards on top of one another?

Would it cause switch problems if they remained depressed for a while?

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 08:37:13 »
While the photo is definitely a joke, the idea is semi serious.

Like the mention of putting the buckling springs on top.....anyone have an argument against stacking a few mx keyboards on top of one another?

Would it cause switch problems if they remained depressed for a while?

I would think damage to the springs could be an issue. Also, in the case of Model Ms, the potential for the membrane to get damaged (with the hammers being constantly in contact, and all...)

Oh, and damage to the contact plates in MX/ALPS switches...
« Last Edit: Wed, 09 July 2014, 08:44:59 by Computer-Lab in Basement »
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 09:53:40 »
I stack all mine vertically, so the springs are all uncompressed.

oh, and put the G81 keyboards on the bottom, unlike this guy.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 09:57:50 »
I recall a few threads where people just got the freebie large game boxes from USPS and stacked with them.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 10:01:24 »
I would invest in a $100 shelf to protect my $300 keyboards.  :))
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 10:05:43 »
I bought a pretty nice 3 level shelf off Amazon for maybe 25 bucks.  Meant for shoes but is great for keyboards.  Actually just ordered two more

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 17:57:33 »
Stacking like that would just get the cables tangled.

I do stack mine, but only about 3 at a time (usually something like two Model M on the bottom, Ducky or QFR on the top).  Or HHKB on top.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 18:04:18 »
Does having the key depressed in storage hurt the overall life of the board? I would imagine the spring being under constant pressure makes them feel quite different after a while.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 18:09:51 »
I haven't noticed that mine are depressed.

In fact they seem quite happy to be stacked :))

But seriously, another M and a QFR is hardly sufficient to compress the keys on the lower M.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline johndavis33

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 18:34:13 »
Stacking them vertically is a good idea.

Also, if you didn't buy them used, keeping keyboards in their boxes for storage will allow you to stack them without taking up too much space.
HAVE AND WILL KEEP: HHKB - Printed white | Ducky Banana edition - Whites | Model M13 | Unidentified Goodwill keyboard - Simplified black ALPS
TOO BE SOLD: TG3 BL82 - Clears | Wheelwrite 5 - Buckling Springs typewriter
SOLD: Rosewill RK9000 - Blacks | QFR - Blues | Ducky G2 Pro - Greens |
IT WILL BE MINE: Northgate Omnikey - White ALPS

Offline 1391406

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 18:42:24 »
I'm working on a way to hang them on a clothes hanger (vertically) in a closet. Maybe clamps attached to a clothes hanger. I'm not sure yet. Like I said, I'm working on it. As it is, I keep them in a closet on the top shelf, stacked vertically on their side with feet extended to rest against the case of the keyboard next to it.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 22:55:21 »
I'm working on a way to hang them on a clothes hanger (vertically) in a closet. Maybe clamps attached to a clothes hanger. I'm not sure yet. Like I said, I'm working on it. As it is, I keep them in a closet on the top shelf, stacked vertically on their side with feet extended to rest against the case of the keyboard next to it.

Interesting! Maybe you could use bungee cords of an appropriate length. Or big loops made from the continuous, cut-to-length hook and loop fastener rolls, though that stuff can be pretty expensive. BTW, assuming you're a dude, don't let any prospective love interests see that closet! ;)

My earlier answer was a bit tongue-in-cheek, though i wouldn't recommend storing any boards with keys compressed. I'm actually using USPS Priority game boxes to store mine, plus I need to start a purging phase soon.

Offline IPT

• Formerly projectD
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 23:25:24 »
stack them in boxes =)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 07:24:01 »

That is a good idea about extending the legs to act as spacers!

My 'storage' room is out of space and my stuff is literally piled in boxes on boxes on boxes.....its an awful site....poor mashby has been waiting on a few caps from me for months now because I can't find them :facepalm:

Offline 1391406

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 10 July 2014, 12:31:43 »
Every once in awhile, I'll walk into the closet for something and end up fondling one of the keyboards before I leave.
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven