Author Topic: Hit the Jackpot, over 50 old IBM keyboards  (Read 8563 times)

Offline da20valve

Re: Hit the Jackpot, over 50 old IBM keyboards
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 18:49:21 »
How is the multimeter going to tell me anything ??, I know I can put one end on a keyboard pin and the other end on each wire to see what one beeps and that pin goes to that color but how do I know what pin caries what, ie data,power,

I have submitted I pic of both the cables below

The Cable at the top is the PS2 and PS2 circuit board, the cable below is the AT cable.

« Last Edit: Wed, 16 July 2014, 19:17:55 by da20valve »

Offline da20valve

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 21:00:46 »
Worked it out,
Finished and tested and cleaned, the only thing I have to do is clean the keyboard shell, (might just give it a bath and paint it)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 21:04:32 »
Worked it out,
Finished and tested and cleaned, the only thing I have to do is clean the keyboard shell, (might just give it a bath and paint it)

Looks like you swapped the \| and right Shift key.  Not bad looking caps for pad printed.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 21:56:58 »

but how do I know what pin caries what, ie data,power,

Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline da20valve

« Reply #54 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 00:00:56 »
Yeah I realized about the shift key when I was putting the cover back on, anyway its all working.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #55 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 01:15:23 »
Worked it out,

Looks like you swapped the \| and right Shift key.  Not bad looking caps for pad printed.
You sure those aren’t double-shot?

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #56 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 02:44:10 »
Worked it out,

I can't quite read the numbers on the controller chip from that photo, large as it is.
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline redskull

« Reply #57 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 02:55:32 »
OP,

can you take pictures of everything? especially the split keyboards?

Offline Nuum

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 17 July 2014, 04:25:48 »
Would be awesome, if there were some Kishsavers in the pile. I would instantly take one.

OP, if there are some 60% style keyboards in there please post! I would love to buy one off of you.
« Last Edit: Thu, 17 July 2014, 04:27:53 by Nuum »

Offline da20valve

« Reply #59 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 02:07:10 »
What keycaps will fit these, thinking of keeping 4 or 5 standard and modding a few with different keycaps.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #60 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 02:50:33 »
We really still have no idea what 'these' are. Because you've taken a picture of maybe one. It had Alps. Do all 50? I doubt it.

That one will take Alps-mount caps, of which there are currently few aftermarket, but that should be different in 1-2 years.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #61 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 03:00:21 »
Can you pleeeeeease just post a group shot of all the keyboards? There's a lot of people here dying to see which ones you have.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #62 on: Sun, 20 July 2014, 10:25:24 »
There are some people here who are very good at identifying keyboards in large pictures. ;)
🍉

Offline da20valve

« Reply #63 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 05:26:47 »
I have 20 identical to the picture and worked out the wiring (piece of cake, people seems to make it harder then it has to be, the rest I still haven't gone through (I have to do some actual work at work) and have had a **** load of printers go down, as for selling..., I wont be selling any (int shipping is a *****).

BTW What does owning a Leatherman/Gerbar have anything to do with IT ?, what a silly statement.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 07:53:41 »

I wont be selling any

A true geekhacker in the making - buys 50 keyboards just so he can have them lying around!
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 08:08:31 »
I have 20 identical to the picture and worked out the wiring (piece of cake, people seems to make it harder then it has to be, the rest I still haven't gone through (I have to do some actual work at work) and have had a **** load of printers go down, as for selling..., I wont be selling any (int shipping is a *****).

So when you say "IBM Keyboard" you mean "PC Keyboard"?  Because I don't recall seeing one IBM keyboard pictured in this thread.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline Magna224

« Reply #66 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 09:32:38 »
I keep checking up on this thread. All I ever see is "Pics!". I agree.
If you live in AZ you can try my keyboards. I usually keep plenty of different ALPS and MX and buckling springs.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 09:35:13 »
Even if you aren't selling, we still want pics! >:D
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline da20valve

« Reply #68 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 09:44:13 »

So when you say "IBM Keyboard" you mean "PC Keyboard"?  Because I don't recall seeing one IBM keyboard pictured in this thread.

Yeah because I don't know the difference between the 2, sigh

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #69 on: Tue, 29 July 2014, 13:24:01 »
I'm still waiting for a photo of the controller chip in that one keyboard.

"IBM Keyboard" -- a keyboard made by IBM. "PC keyboard": keyboard that connects to a PC.
Bore Awards

Offline da20valve

« Reply #70 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 02:48:29 »
You will be waiting a while, I already worked out the wiring and put it back together, vinyl wrapped it
« Last Edit: Wed, 30 July 2014, 02:53:41 by da20valve »

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 15:20:26 »
You will be waiting a while …

Yes that is the case 99% of the time … I guess I need to cracking on an elixir of life.

Bore Awards

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #72 on: Wed, 30 July 2014, 18:35:31 »
He claims to have 20 or more of the same type, but won't even take a group picture of them. If he thinks he needs to change cables on them, he'll probably open another one, but it seems to me that he probably won't take a picture of the controller even then.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline da20valve

« Reply #73 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 01:03:54 »
I will post pics when I get around to opening the rest, hence the term "you will be waiting a while", I posted a pic of the controller chip, its not my fault you couldn't read it, as for if you believe me or not well.... I couldn't really care, first I said I had the keyboards then some retard wrote "pic or it didn't happen", so I posted a pic of the keyboard pulled apart, now you are saying I don't have 20, get a life.

Offline sleepy916

« Reply #74 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 01:07:16 »
I will post pics when I get around to opening the rest, hence the term "you will be waiting a while", I posted a pic of the controller chip, its not my fault you couldn't read it, as for if you believe me or not well.... I couldn't really care, first I said I had the keyboards then some retard wrote "pic or it didn't happen", so I posted a pic of the keyboard pulled apart, now you are saying I don't have 20, get a life.

Hmm this is getting ugly quickly. I was interested in just seeing the pictures but if not then I'll just move along.  ^-^

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #75 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 01:11:24 »

Hmm this is getting ugly quickly. I was interested in just seeing the pictures but if not then I'll just move along.  ^-^

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #76 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 01:31:54 »

“OMG GUYS GUEZZ WHAT? I WENT ON AN ANCIENT QUEST IN THE DUNGEON AND HIT THE JACKPOT WITH KEYBOARDS!

No, I won’t show you. And you’re a meanie just for asking.”

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #77 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 01:34:25 »

“OMG GUYS GUEZZ WHAT? I WENT ON AN ANCIENT QUEST IN THE DUNGEON AND HIT THE JACKPOT WITH KEYBOARDS!

ROFL!...... +1
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 31 July 2014, 01:39:24 »

You forgot the part about "you guys told me nothing I found was worth much, so **** you, I'm taking my toys I got for free and leaving".