Author Topic: Has anyone used these IBM Mice?  (Read 5248 times)

Offline wheel83

Has anyone used these IBM Mice?
« on: Fri, 29 May 2009, 15:21:43 »
http://www.kbdmania.net/xe/?mid=photo&page=440&document_srl=507636

I was looking at the 2 on the right.  Anyone have any experience with these?  thanks
I <3 BS

Offline DrunkenDonut

« Reply #1 on: Tue, 02 June 2009, 09:25:53 »
I haven't used those mice before, but I had a mouse with the integrated pointing thing (forget what it's called) like the one on the far right. It moves, much more than a track point, and works well enough for scrolling around, but it gets tiring for me to use for any amount of time. After a breaking-in period it was still stiff, so it would get your scroll finger tired.
*Hang on to your wallet!*
BTC E5X5R5BTC-5339R-0 (\'90), MS Natural Keyboard Pro (\'99), Sun Type 5c, 2x 1391401, DASK3ULT (\'08), ABS M1, Dell AT101W, M4-1
FKBN87M/EB (\'09), FKBN87ML/EB (\'09), FKBN87Z/EB (\'09), FKBN87MC/NPEC (\'09), G80-3000LQCDE-2 (\'11)

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 04 June 2009, 11:27:13 »
I just got the one on the right but an older version. When it came I was surprised that it uses a ball. The ScrollPoint also isn't lit, just black plastic. Top color is blue slate (?) a dark blue metallic paint which doesn't fit to anything else I have. Being that old it is surprising that the controller is combo usb/ps2.

The ScrollPoint scrolls really fast when I touch it very lightly. I looked for a driver but couldn't find any so I gave up and unplugged it. I need more patience.

These mice only have three buttons. The middle button is under you thumb. No forward/backward buttons which I'm quite used too.

What I really did like on it is the slanted shape. I should get an ergo mouse.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 04 June 2009, 12:17:32 »
Quote from: lowpoly;94178
What I really did like on it is the slanted shape. I should get an ergo mouse.

MS Natural Wireless Laser Mouse 6000.  I can't recommend it enough.  It solved a lot of wrist pain for me.

Offline wheel83

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 04 June 2009, 12:18:05 »
the one in the middle has a back button which is good enough for me.  i just cant find it for sale anywhere.  the shape looks comfortable if it fits my hand.
I <3 BS

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 04 June 2009, 12:37:26 »
Quote from: itlnstln;94186
MS Natural Wireless Laser Mouse 6000.  I can't recommend it enough.  It solved a lot of wrist pain for me.
I need something with a wire. There is this cheap Taiwan ergo mouse that was mentioned here lately.

Edit: This one: http://wowpen.us/joy.htm

Quote from: wheel83;94188
the one in the middle has a back button which is good enough for me.  i just cant find it for sale anywhere.  the shape looks comfortable if it fits my hand.
The buttons can be configured but I need the middle button so I never tried it.
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 June 2009, 12:42:51 by lowpoly »

Offline MsKeyboard

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 04 June 2009, 17:06:42 »
I have personally tried the contour mouse, and with all the sizes it could be quite a chore to finally get to the mouse that fits exactly, specially if you are ordering.  It has some neat features, but it is fairly specialized and personal.
I personally use the Evoluent, and found that once I got used to the feel it is very natural as far as fit and form.  This mouse also offers a lot of personalized settings.
Don't want to talk you out of a product, just thought I could offer some more information.
Later.......Ms Keyboard

Offline wheel83

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 04 June 2009, 17:35:35 »
i had an evoluent and i consider it one of my worst computer related purchases.  it felt very unnatural.  

if only i could wire up an optical sensor under the bottom of my trackball.  so it could be used as a regular mouse.  its shaped so perfect.
I <3 BS

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 05 June 2009, 05:07:50 »
Quote from: ripster;94195
Looks like a ripoff of the Evoluent.
It has more like a 45 degree angle, not almost vertical like the Evoluent.

Quote from: wheel83;94239
if only i could wire up an optical sensor under the bottom of my trackball. so it could be used as a regular mouse. its shaped so perfect.
mod mod mod!

Offline MsKeyboard

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 05 June 2009, 09:48:26 »
The Evoluent mouse looks like it places your hand at an almost 90 degree angle, but it is more likely about 70 degrees.  If you were to put your hands on the desk while seated, you would find that this is the angle that your hands will naturally rest in, or at least very close.
I used to use a Logitech scroll mouse, but found that after sitting at the desk all day my wrists were really taking a beating.  With the typical generic mouse you are forced to rotate your hand too much, regardless of where you place your mouse.
This is the same problem that I am having with my scroll ball.  I really like the CST, but have to bend my hand too much, which after a while is just too problematic.  I am currently working with a wedge that tilts the scroll ball to place the hand in a more natural position.  A little different, but I will let you know how it works out.
Later........Ms Keyboard

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 05 June 2009, 09:57:40 »
Quote from: MsKeyboard;94346
The Evoluent mouse looks like it places your hand at an almost 90 degree angle, but it is more likely about 70 degrees. If you were to put your hands on the desk while seated, you would find that this is the angle that your hands will naturally rest in, or at least very close.
I used to use a Logitech scroll mouse, but found that after sitting at the desk all day my wrists were really taking a beating. With the typical generic mouse you are forced to rotate your hand too much, regardless of where you place your mouse.
This is the same problem that I am having with my scroll ball. I really like the CST, but have to bend my hand too much, which after a while is just too problematic. I am currently working with a wedge that tilts the scroll ball to place the hand in a more natural position. A little different, but I will let you know how it works out.
Later........Ms Keyboard

Women's arms, in general, are rotated several degrees outward (palms toward the front of the body)*. This might be why I find the MS Natural mouse a little more comfortable than more vertically-oriented mice like the Evoluent.

* I learned this in Health class in High School.  I tried, briefly, to find a reference on the Web, but found it suprisingly hard to search for, so I gave up.

Offline MsKeyboard

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 05 June 2009, 10:04:16 »
Are you sure you didn't learn this on the playground??

Must be Friday!

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 05 June 2009, 10:12:43 »
Quote from: ripster;94354
Well, my teenager is only in Middle School but you would be AMAZED what he learns in Health Class.

I learned more stuff than I ever wanted to know in 7th grade in a Natural Science class.  We were discussing reproduction, and for a couple of days, we were allowed to ask any reproduction (read: "sex") questions we wanted.  At that time, I was shocked to learn that the solution to 3*23 had other interpretations.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 05 June 2009, 10:14:16 »
Quote from: ripster;94361
Yep it's Friday. I didn't even start talking about how I use an XXL Contour mouse.

You know what they say about men with big hands!!

(Don't answer that, the boss may be looking).

D*mn.  I have small hands and small feet.  This sucks.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 05 June 2009, 10:25:04 »
Quote from: ripster;94354
Well, my teenager is only in Middle School but you would be AMAZED what he learns in Health Class.

I took a second stab at trying to find a reference, but stumbled into a site called Second Type Women.  Fail.  I'm at work, too. :(

BTW, I searched for "womens mens arm skeletal."  I'm sure they cover the topic there, but, well...

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #15 on: Thu, 11 June 2009, 12:40:41 »
I decided not to get the Wowpen mouse. The Fwd/Backward-Buttons are very low and I imagine they are hard to reach with the thumb.

Offline CreamyNutButter

• Trackball Gamer
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 20 July 2009, 23:43:43 »
Quote from: ripster;94348
LOL - now you're modding away!!  

Have you called Robert Rolling at CST yet and asked him if he has problems walking uphill?

Poor guy - he must hear that one every day.

At least his first name isn't Rick...

Trackballs: Kensington Orbit with Scroll Ring and Logitech Marble
Keyboards: Who cares?