Author Topic: [IC] Retro Cassette DSA  (Read 37710 times)

Offline ConscienceDrop

• a-are these pbt?
Re: [IC] Retro Cassette DSA
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 00:59:18 »
The more i look at these colors the more I'm in love with this set. Keep up the good work, the brown and grey both look good; i lean slightly towards grey myself, but I would be interested in both schemes.  :thumb:

Offline Data

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 09:08:52 »
I keep telling myself it's an optical illusion, but the brown alphas appear to lend a brown tone to all the other keys, which makes the image look washed out or artificially aged to me.  I think it would probably look much better in person.

Still kinda prefer the gray.

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #52 on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 17:41:28 »
I keep telling myself it's an optical illusion, but the brown alphas appear to lend a brown tone to all the other keys, which makes the image look washed out or artificially aged to me.  I think it would probably look much better in person.

Still kinda prefer the gray.

Think you're right about the brown alphas.  I was trying to figure out why that set looked much much older. 

I love gray but...so many gray caps, already.  If this becomes a GB, I really don't know which set I'd go for.  :-\

Offline DzyDzyDino

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 02:08:13 »
I'd be in for sure, although may I point out this would also look really nice in SA profile also? :D

Offline deci

« Reply #54 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 02:27:58 »
Wow love that last one. I don't have enough keyboards for all the nice sets coming out recently....

Offline -blind

« Reply #55 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 05:12:46 »
Loving this, what color are those legends going to be?  Could pop some color in there on the gray set like you had going with the Royal Apollo set (...I really wish that had tipped :( )

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #56 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 05:15:50 »
Wow love that last one. I don't have enough keyboards for all the nice sets coming out recently....

Time to buy more boards.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #57 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 05:19:26 »

Time to buy more boards.

You're now a Geekhacker, ALWAYS buy more keyboards even if you don't need them now, but in the future you will  :thumb: .

Offline deci

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 06:30:25 »

Time to buy more boards.

You're now a Geekhacker, ALWAYS buy more keyboards even if you don't need them now, but in the future you will  :thumb: .

Lol I've already bought 3 in the short time I've been here...  ;D

Although I guess I haven't built a 60% yet... hmmm I see a nice black GON pcb GB and an IC for a one with hot swappable switches and LEDS.   :p

Offline ConscienceDrop

• a-are these pbt?
« Reply #59 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 13:10:43 »

Lol I've already bought 3 in the short time I've been here...  ;D

Although I guess I haven't built a 60% yet... hmmm I see a nice black GON pcb GB and an IC for a one with hot swappable switches and LEDS.   :p

I just got a 60% that i think this set is destined for . . . 

The pursuit never ends. I'm gonna have to get into making stuff instead of being on the buying end!  :cool:

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #60 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 13:45:18 »
I'd be in for sure, although may I point out this would also look really nice in SA profile also? :D

You may, but I won't run it as SA until after DSA is made.

Loving this, what color are those legends going to be?  Could pop some color in there on the gray set like you had going with the Royal Apollo set (...I really wish that had tipped :( )

I'm aiming for WCK or one of the other beige/creams to give it an aged look.  There will be some color with some of the oranges and reds, but it will be a little more laid back outside of the possibility of some mod packs.  If anyone has any ideas for mod packs they'd like to see, please pipe up.

Offline Data

« Reply #61 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 16:11:47 »
If you did something similar to Granite's Ergodoxian that would be super sweet.  Just a few 1.5u and 2u mods with legends would make it a must-buy kit.  There might be a few limitations with the legend orientation since this set is doubleshot, but I doubt that would be a big problem.

Offline -blind

« Reply #62 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 18:31:54 »

I'm aiming for WCK or one of the other beige/creams to give it an aged look.  There will be some color with some of the oranges and reds, but it will be a little more laid back outside of the possibility of some mod packs.  If anyone has any ideas for mod packs they'd like to see, please pipe up.

I approve of WCK - that'll look very sweet.  Some ideas I've had for mod kits:

• Icon mod set
  • CMYK (or some other color) mod legends - for those who would like a bit of color but keep the classy gray scheme (I think this would be really cool - like look at how the yellow interacts with the midnight alphas: http://i.imgur.com/qxQnya1.jpg)
  • WASD legends inverse - like what you got, but keep the cap gray and the blue / orange for legends instead?
  • Definitely add an ISO kit for our friends across the pond

I'd certainly be willing to goof around in Blender a bit and mock up some renders for this if you'd be interested - could you PM me the list of colors please?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #63 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 18:39:34 »
Tell me more about what you mean by icon mod set. 

ISO is definitely planned.  I just need to get a better idea of what should be included in it. It sees every GB has different caps in their ISO kit.  That makes it kind of tough to figure out the ideal caps.

And for the Ergodox mentioned above, I don't have one, so it helps if you list the special caps needed for an e-dox kit.

Offline Data

« Reply #64 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 22:15:01 »
This is what Matt3o did for Granite R2.

The biggest difference is that Signature Plastics can only do doubleshot legends parallel to the longest side.  So in this case all of the 2u legends would be rotated 90 degrees, and same with some of the 1.5u.  You can probably guess from the image which keys.

I have some suggestions for additional keys if you're curious.  Let me know what font and RGB color codes you're working with and I can do a mock-up.

Offline -blind

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 05:50:30 »
Tell me more about what you mean by icon mod set. 

ISO is definitely planned.  I just need to get a better idea of what should be included in it. It sees every GB has different caps in their ISO kit.  That makes it kind of tough to figure out the ideal caps.

And for the Ergodox mentioned above, I don't have one, so it helps if you list the special caps needed for an e-dox kit.

You know, like icon mods like at wasd (thinking about it, I don't know if SP can doubleshot mold them - worth asking though):

Offline prophit

« Reply #66 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 05:57:03 »
Ya I am down love the colors on the common set.

Offline ConscienceDrop

• a-are these pbt?
« Reply #67 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 10:29:53 »
+1 for icons, if possible. I'm very fond of that clean text-less aesthetic.

Offline Data

« Reply #68 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 12:52:01 »
This is just me messing around in Photoshop.  Hope I'm not stepping on any toes.

That would probably be an expensive set, so you might have to trim a few keys to hit a decent price point.  Not sure.  I do think it covers a lot of common ErgoDox layouts though.

It's my understanding that Tab and Backslash keys are already 1.5u in a standard ANSI layout.  If I'm wrong someone please correct me.  Since this is DSA they could be dropped into an ErgoDox with no profile issues.

Offline Supergeek

« Reply #69 on: Wed, 17 September 2014, 19:39:38 »
I love the retro colors, and I love DSA.

The only thing I would add is maybe a couple novelties, like a Commodore 64 C= logo or a pixel sprite like a Space Invader or something.

Offline Arvid

« Reply #70 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 07:38:53 »
Wow, really like the retrodox.

Offline spenghammer

« Reply #71 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 19:23:59 »
Ooh I like the looks of this set :D Count me in :D  It might be asking too much, but an Amiga logo cap would be killer!

Offline vimx

• ENHANCE
« Reply #72 on: Mon, 29 September 2014, 20:18:24 »
Playing around with the idea of some WASD clusters:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Liking the orange wasd with the brown,  and the blue wasd with the gray.   Very interested!

Offline Zeroblade

• Twitter
« Reply #73 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 02:39:34 »
Playing around with the idea of some WASD clusters:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Liking the orange wasd with the brown,  and the blue wasd with the gray.   Very interested!

Agreed. A DSA profile with large centered text (or icon) legends in these colors would just be amazing.

Offline Acanthophis

« Reply #74 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 06:44:37 »
SA pls?

Offline Data

« Reply #75 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 08:17:55 »
SA pls?

Top of the page:

Also, I'm pretty sure this set is on "permanent hold" at least until several other GBs have run their courses.

Offline ctrlX

« Reply #76 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 03:56:16 »
Really nice! I am definitely up for it.  :thumb:

Base set, ISO, the lot actually.  ;D

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #77 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 05:13:38 »
If this set ever runs in SA profile (either 2,3,3,3,4 or 1,2,3,4,3) I would order at least one set :D
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline caffo

• 10 GOTO 10
« Reply #78 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 06:15:01 »
Would buy the hell out of this.

Offline Asininity

« Reply #79 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 17:30:33 »
I have a interest in this set.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #80 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 17:57:43 »
DSA is a faithful profile for the set to match the original. Of course, some does not care about fidelity in the reproduction, instead they care just about what they want, another this, or another that. Therefore, fulfill the dream of the masses, who cares about retro-sh...

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #81 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 18:33:35 »
DSA is a faithful profile for the set to match the original. Of course, some does not care about fidelity in the reproduction, instead they care just about what they want, another this, or another that. Therefore, fulfill the dream of the masses, who cares about retro-sh...

Kind of how I feel.

That said, I now have a PX-8 and HX-40 in person.  The caps are interchangeable between the two even though one is RD and the other Hirose switches. 

The PX-8 caps, while low profile, are closer in shape to GMK caps, the HX-40 is closer to DSA.  Personally, I think the DSA profile is awesome.

Since we now have DMK Dolch out in the wild, I'm debating two ways for this.  While not a perfect match while it doesn't have the nice brownish notes I want, it would be possible to make a GMK modifier set that you could use with Dolch and get a similar look.  The second is to go with my original plan and do a DSA set. 

If none of those work, I can look into SS (though I think it's retired) or, as much as I hate it, SA.  I wouldn't mind Devlin, but they won't work individuals last time I contacted them and I really don't want to do anything through QWER (if they're even around still) since Devlin told me I had to go through them.  The only other real options are lower quality caps.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #82 on: Sat, 21 February 2015, 18:55:49 »
Here's two rough GMK color mockups.

Here it is as a Dolch add-on:

Here it is as an independent full set:

Offline TheOpposition

« Reply #83 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 14:52:26 »
I'm in on this, looking good :cool:
(2) Poker II's
Poker 3 W/ Blues
JD40
Ergrodox

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #84 on: Sun, 22 February 2015, 18:38:03 »
And a GMK color mockup with the SP template.

Offline Data

« Reply #85 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 15:06:16 »
How faithful is the GMK colorway, in your opinion?

I'm still on board for a DSA set.  Stick with the original plan, I say.  :P

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #86 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 18:38:15 »

Faithful to Epson?  The Alphas aren't but the mods are.  I still think GMK looks great.

I'll need to order some SP rings to scan and make some SP mock ups with.  I'm just having a hard time dropping ~$50 with shipping.

And I got an e-mail from Melissa. SS is totally retired.  I can only do DSA, DCS, SA, or KT.

Offline Data

« Reply #87 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 08:34:04 »

Faithful to Epson?  The Alphas aren't but the mods are.  I still think GMK looks great.

I'll need to order some SP rings to scan and make some SP mock ups with.  I'm just having a hard time dropping ~$50 with shipping.

And I got an e-mail from Melissa. SS is totally retired.  I can only do DSA, DCS, SA, or KT.

SP raised the price of their color rings recently.  Which chips do you need?  I might be able to loan you some from the ABS ring.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #88 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 12:25:24 »
I really couldn't say.  I was planning on scanning them in so I could play with them and figure out the best colors.  It would have to be the reds, browns, and greys at the least.

Offline Data

« Reply #89 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 13:14:17 »
I really couldn't say.  I was planning on scanning them in so I could play with them and figure out the best colors.  It would have to be the reds, browns, and greys at the least.

Don't forget that Krogenar did this with the ABS chips back in 2013.  Just putting it out there.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #90 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 03:40:14 »

Don't forget that Krogenar did this with the ABS chips back in 2013.  Just putting it out there.

The Deskthority ABS colours are very accurate (about as accurate as you can get, IMHO): http://deskthority.net/wiki/Signature_Plastics_ABS_colours

I have yet to see an accurate GMK colour chart, though. Peeps need to do some proper colour sampling...
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #91 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 10:04:37 »
I don’t have the link handy (I can look it up in a few days), but there are google docs spreadsheets showing the spectrophotometer readouts (IIRC reflectance samples for wavelengths spaced 5 nm apart throughout the visible range) for all the ABS and PBT color chips. If you want, you can use that to calculate the appearance under any arbitrary light source, such as cloudy or sunny daylight, incandescent or fluorescent light bulbs, etc.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 February 2015, 10:09:41 by jacobolus »

Offline hairy9802

« Reply #92 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 11:10:29 »
no news regarding this set?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #93 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 11:15:21 »

There were way too many SP sets going on at once and PMK hasn't really been a great avenue, so it's on hold.  I still really want to do the set, but I'm trying to find a better way of doing it.

Offline pizza_is_a_lie

• * Maker
  • ISO Master Race
    • Paradigm
« Reply #94 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 15:01:40 »
I'm gonna put it out there - if you make the light grey match the light grey of the silver Ducky Mini and the dark grey the darker Ducky Mini, you're on to something ;)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #95 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 21:20:47 »

There were way too many SP sets going on at once and PMK hasn't really been a great avenue, so it's on hold.  I still really want to do the set, but I'm trying to find a better way of doing it.

That is wise, there is just too many GBs running now; however I think the idea is great. It took me a while to get accustom to DSA profile, but now it is second nature, and the look is just far better than most of the other profiles available. I have one main driver with DSA, and my second one with a Cherry set.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #96 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 21:31:16 »

That is wise, there is just too many GBs running now; however I think the idea is great. It took me a while to get accustom to DSA profile, but now it is second nature, and the look is just far better than most of the other profiles available. I have one main driver with DSA, and my second one with a Cherry set.

They're also much more versatile in terms of alternate layouts since the uniformity doesn't punish you and you can more easily add four additional deeper scooped home caps than you can completely change the layout.

Hopefully buys die down a little so I can launch this.  That and proper rendered mockups would be huge.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #97 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 23:45:54 »
When the GB comes, I strongly recommend to include the ISO enter and a couple of blank 1u keys as part of the main set ala GMK buys style, the recent history of SP buys showed that only Granite and Skull Sq.'s ISO keys barely reached MoQ. That may motivate Euro brothers to join. Of course, the proposal has its selfish side: I have configured my favorite GON with ISO enter key, and I'd love to use this set on it also.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #98 on: Wed, 13 May 2015, 23:53:42 »
The big problem with ISO support is twofold.  First off, no matter how you do it someone complains and you get threats that unless you do it a certain way someone won't join.  Those often include region and language specific keys instead of blanks.  Those threats are a huge impact on reason two.  Secondly, they add a considerable amount of money to the set (~$10-20) which is often a barrier to participation and you get the majority ANSI users complaining about the additional cost that they're subsidizing. 

If I can run it on CtrlAlt (and handle distro myself and/or with volunteers) where people buy because Bunny, I'd do something like you suggest.  If it's on PMK (as much as I hate the site), it will likely be a split set since the ISO kit will really hit hard.

I'd love to have built in ISO support, but, realistically, it's highly contingent upon how it's done as to whether or not ISO support is added.

Offline pizza_is_a_lie

• * Maker
  • ISO Master Race
    • Paradigm
« Reply #99 on: Thu, 14 May 2015, 06:55:23 »
Well, I'm in it if there's ISO in any way/shape/form.  :cool: