Author Topic: A list of Driver less keyboards ?  (Read 6247 times)

Offline b0f0

A list of Driver less keyboards ?
« on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 01:13:11 »
Hi !
Can you help me make a list of driver less keyboards or if you know a company that makes it driver-lesss and if you dont know the keyboard name you can just write the company name. I need that to decide what to buy and I need a driver less keyboard also no addtional software install needed also some say I need plug&play.
If you have or know any driver-less keyboards please write it here.  :thumb:
Ducky Shine 3
Func KB-460
CM Quick Fire Ultimate

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: A list of Driver less keyboards ?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 01:19:02 »
I have not explicitly installed drivers for any keyboard on any operating system.

Under Windows I installed a CM tool to facilitate programming the macros, but that's all.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 01:33:47 »
Almost all modern keyboards I know of use the standard USB HID (Human Interface Device) drivers to function.

OP: do you know of keyboards that don't?

Offline b0f0

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 01:41:28 »
Hmm you have a point. So I want a list of keyboards that dont have addtional software that needs Windows.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 01:47:30 »
Hmm you have a point. So I want a list of keyboards that dont have addtional software that needs Windows.

Might be easier to just list those that do have additional Windows-only software!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline b0f0

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 01:50:08 »
I forgot to write that I am talking about mechanical keyboards. If that changes anything.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 02:05:26 »
I forgot to write that I am talking about mechanical keyboards. If that changes anything.

I think that's more or less a given, around here :p

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 02:26:09 »
The only real answer I can give would be to not get anything with backlighting, because you may need some tool to control that. With that exception I can't see how literally anything would need some driver to work.

Even then, though, one of my gaming mice for example - it has its driver software that has profiles that each allow control of which DPI settings are available and whatnot along with LED colors and button layout. Once I finished setting it up (I never got very complex with it) it was itself causing problems with some game I was playing at the time. So I simply uninstalled the software and since the profiles were stored on the mouse I had both all my settings and no longer any conflicts. So if it did need such a tool this would be the worst case, because I also don't know of anything that does not store onboard. Even cherry POS stores onboard for its extra keys.

So no matter what the case, you can always set up windows in a VM for 5 minutes while you configure everything and then you'd no longer need it.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 04:51:47 »
Even a Ducky Shine 3 backlighting is completely controllable from the function keys - to set the lighting mode, the speed, brightness, even to set which keys are lit and which are not.

Offline Coreda

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 04:59:37 »
I have not explicitly installed drivers for any keyboard on any operating system.

This. Can't remember ever installing drivers for something as simple as a keyboard, and as rowdy suggested might be easier to list boards that do require drivers.

I'd be curious :thumb:.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 05:03:47 »
I can't think of any mechanical keyboard that REQUIRES drivers / software to be installed. For some you can get added functionality from installing their software, but they all work out of the box, just plugged into the machine.

So, just choose the board that appeals to you most and has the right features for you (switch type, plate/PCB mount, size and layout, type and colour of backlighting, etc.). Then plug it in and enjoy.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline RED-404

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 04 August 2014, 05:05:59 »
If the keyboard has a cluster of macro keys, has an LCD and looks stupid it has software.

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 10:08:30 »
That's true, that one logitech rubber dome with an LCD would definitely require some kind of driver in order to make the screen useable.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 10:11:52 »
A shorter list would be a list of keyboards that require special drivers.

tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 10:14:20 »
Human interface device protocol = love

Offline D01

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 10:26:28 »

This.

Like a Razor Blackwidow yes?

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 10:49:33 »

This.

Like a Razor Blackwidow yes?
Yep
And corsair k90/95 and most "gaming" boards.

My ducky only needed firmware. 

Offline Data

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 05 August 2014, 12:53:26 »
All keyboards require device drivers.  Nearly all of them will install with default drivers in Windows and operate as normal keyboards with zero user interaction or setup.

The only boards that should require extra drivers/software are those that try to do something out of the ordinary like programmable macro keys, on-board LCDs, or a ton of user customization options.  But even those should work as basic input devices prior to installing said software.  Your system BIOS relies heavily on being able to communicate with your keyboard, so for that reason they have retained legacy compatibility (even into the USB age) and require no user-level drivers.