Author Topic: The Bike Thread!  (Read 72750 times)

Offline JP

Re: The Bike Thread!
« Reply #700 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 12:54:01 »
CK prices are crazy but when you read everywhere of people running the old version with the occasionally dodgy o-ring seal for 15 years without touching them the current/improved version doesn't sound like a bad invesment.  If it wasn't so tall I'd have bought one.

I like your thinking with the paint - sometimes the simple ideas are the best!  I have a can of black under my bed and pretty sure it's matte even.  If spraypaint has a shelf life of 10 years that is...

What happens when a headset wears out, does it just get stiff, crunchy and creaky or is it a potential health hazzard?  I ride along a canal with headphones on so it's pretty straight and I'm unlikely to notice noises.  I rode the full ~17 miles with my front brake rubbing and wondered why it was hard going, it was only luck that I locked my headphones in at work that day so heard it as soon as I set off for home otherwise who knows how long I would have carried on :-[

If your headset is grinding, gritty and mucky, your bearings might not be in the best shape. Check out this video on how to strip your headset, degrease and clean your bearings, re-grease them properly and re-assemble. Regarding old spray paint you could shake it very well and test it on something but it's hard to say how good it still is. At least spray paint is pretty cheap.

« Last Edit: Sun, 10 February 2019, 12:59:34 by JP »
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline JP

« Reply #701 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 13:08:15 »
Also it wasn't too long ago that a new bike I soon found out had inferior components and virtually had no grease anywhere including the bearings. I took apart the bearings which I discovered got wet and started to rust  :eek: To make due I tore them apart, ran them through a sonic cleaner and applied liberal amounts of grease where needed.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline Sniping

« Reply #702 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 13:43:11 »
headsets are an unsexy part but pretty important. used chris king headsets go for around $80. if that's too much too shell out then fsa/cane creek ones are just fine for half the price.
the best keyboard is the one in front of you

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #703 on: Sun, 10 February 2019, 15:23:40 »
Also it wasn't too long ago that a new bike I soon found out had inferior components and virtually had no grease anywhere including the bearings. I took apart the bearings which I discovered got wet and started to rust  :eek: To make due I tore them apart, ran them through a sonic cleaner and applied liberal amounts of grease where needed.
That's the situation here - the headset in my 'new' bike is only 15 to replace full price (FSA No.10) so it can't be great.  I guess the pot of grease would come in handy when fitting a replacement whenever though so so may as well rip it apart and add some.  It should be fine at around 500 miles, maybe 50 in moderate rain.

used chris king headsets go for around $80. if that's too much too shell out then fsa/cane creek ones are just fine for half the price.
They do, if I wanted any colour except matte black!  The matte one I can only find one place new in the UK for whatever reason, just happens to be on my way to work so no postage to pay, it's the added height not the money that puts me off.  Do you know which FSA/Cane Creek ones aren't shiny?  All sites just say 'black' and have pics with bright lights which can make anything look quite shiny.  Very helpful...

Though I guess I could upgrade and still get out the spraycans :))

Ducky Zero, MX Reds    JD40, Jailhouse Blues           GH60
Soarer controller