Author Topic: Hey, Finally Posting But Still Unable to Decide on a Board  (Read 1327 times)

Offline Roark17

Hey, Finally Posting But Still Unable to Decide on a Board
« on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 16:34:04 »
Hello everyone, long time lurker, first time poster here.  After finally replacing my old college laptop with a desktop, I entered the market for a new keyboard.  After a lot of time spent reading reviews and trying to decide what was right for me, I stumbled upon this site and my entire opinion on keyboards has changed!  First I learned about the various mechanical switches, then about TKL and 60% form factors, then about obscure brands I had never heard of, then about keycaps, then about DIY mods, and most recently about custom keyboards. . .

Well, needless to say, I'm a goner now.  :-[

But what really pushed me to join is my inability to decide on my first purchase.  I've narrowed my search down to these choice: Poker 2, KUL ES-87, HHKB Pro 2, and WASD Code.  Hopefully some of you experts can guide me into a decision that won't leave me with buyer's remorse.

A little bit about my preferences and usages.  I work in a physical biochem. lab and do a lot of work with spreadsheets as well as a lot of typing; however, I'm also a gamer.  I was able to try out the four "main" Cherry MX switches at my local Microcenter.  As a first timer, my favorites were Reds and Blues.  Blacks were a bit stiff but in a good way.  That is, I felt that I enjoyed having a more signification push back as I depressed the key but felt that I needed a bit more time to get used to typing so deliberately.  I really disliked Browns; they felt like mushy Reds.

Poker 2:  I'm hesitant to jump into the 60% form factor.  Losing dedicated arrows and function keys seems like it might annoy me when working with spreadsheets, graphs, and while gaming.  However, I've heard that it's possible to get used to having those keys on the function layer and not miss them.  Also, the 60% form factor would give me such a comfortable mousing experience.

HHKB Pro 2: It seems to be a huge improvement over the Poker 2 right down to the key caps.  However, it doesn't have sturdy rubber feet and has an altered layout than what I'm used.  Also, I've never tried Topre switches, but I've yet to hear anyone say they dislike them.

KUL ES-87:  I really like this one.  I can picture myself customizing this into my dream board as well, but then the cost would skyrocket when I add in key caps, springs, etc.

Code:  I love the backlighting but it lacks switch diversity and I've seen that is has some ping issues which would annoy me.

I think I'm rambling right now, and I actually have to head out.  Anyway, I'm excited to join the world of keyboards and appreciate any help!

KUL ES-87 w/ Clears (ETA 8/15)

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Hey, Finally Posting But Still Unable to Decide on a Board
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 16:42:44 »
Welcome to Geekhack! I've only tried two of the four keyboards on your list so I'll try and talk about some things I like and don't like about the Poker 2 and HHKB.

Poker 2 Pros:
- Good build quality in terms of a decent case, thick plate, and nice PCB if you decide you want to mod. Comes with PBT caps which a lot of people like.
- Probably the most recommended 60% board with a nice track record
- Easily found at retailers like mechanicalkeyboards.com

Poker 2 Cons:
- Layout might not be for you like you said.
- Not sure if they're still doing it but they originally came with spacebars that said "Enjoy you feeling". I laughed and bought one but a lot of people don't like that.

HHKB Pros:
- Very nice case and build quality in general. Case is easily opened to mod and I've heard the tolerances on the case and caps are really really good.
- Layout is unique but I think I could get used to it other than the backspace.
- Comes with nice caps
- When modding, you don't really have to do a lot of soldering. At least it seems like modding the HHKB is less solder intensive vs MX.

HHKB Cons:
- I prefer heavier switches and the 45g Topre switches are far too light for my own tastes. If I were to buy a HHKB, I'd swap it out to 55g domes. However I really don't like the Topre bottom out. I always bottom out when I type. It's so jarring that after an hour or two of typing, my hands feel like I've hit my hands on the desk too many times. I don't have a Topre board in my collection nor will I ever buy a Topre board. I don't type on anything that hurts me.

Offline cruzin

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 16:45:18 »
Welcome! I was in a similar situation as you a few weeks ago, and ended up getting the KUL ES-87 with clears. I haven't regretted my decision at all. It's a fantastic keyboard to start with. The build quality is quite nice except for the keycaps. They're a bit thin, but if you get custom keycaps then that won't be an issue.  ;)

That said, I'm still interested in getting either an HHKB Pro 2 or an Ergodox next. Once the bug has bitten, it's really difficult to buy only one keyboard.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 August 2014, 16:48:23 by cruzin »
Current: Ergodox (Ergo-clears) | Kinesis Advantage (Browns) -- Colemak
Future: HHKB Pro 2 | Maltron L90 | µtron | Axios

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 08 August 2014, 21:59:14 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Working with spreadsheets - do you do a lot of numbers?  Do you need a numpad?  If so, don't look any further than a fullsize keyboard.

But considering the list of keyboards that you are considering, maybe that is not so much of an issue.

I would suggest a layout with dedicated arrow keys.

You can also consider Ducky (if you want backlit, or even Ducky Zero if you don't want backlit), and Filco.  And CM QFR (if you can still get them).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Roark17

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 07:18:09 »
I appreciate the replies!

@CPTBadAss
I found myself also bottoming out a lot during my test drive of mechanical boards, and I'm also heavy handed.  For these reasons, I wanted to start out with a heavier switch and the 45g Topres are reason enough then to eliminate the HHKB Pro 2 from my list.  I may look into it down the road though.  Now I'm considering getting a TKL and a Poker 2, actually, and just getting the best of both form factors. :-)

@cruzin
Glad to hear you're liking your ES-87.  What attracted me to it was the solid construction and clean, professional aesthetics.  If they had just put PBT caps on it, I would have bought it a long time ago.  But, as you suggested, custom key caps solve that.  May I also ask, as someone who is enjoying MX Clears, how do you feel about the lighter switches?  Even though I initially felt more comfortable typing on Reds/Blues, I still feel that I prefer I heavier switch like Blacks/Clears and just needed a bit more time to get used to them.

@Rowdy
I do work with A LOT of numbers.  But most data entry is done automatically from our instruments into spreadsheet format.  I spent 4 years in college working with spreadsheets but while using a MacBook Pro so I got used to using the number row.  That being said, I decided to get a separate number pad along with a TKL/60% board.  It seems like a win-win to me.  Filco and Ducky were the first brands I learned about after I realized there was more to keyboards than the BlackWidow.  While I like both, availability is what puts me off from each.  Filcos on Amazon go up to ~$200 and ship from Japan and Duckys are hardly ever in stock.  I liked the QFR for its price, but was put off by the aesthetics so I didn't really take a second look.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 18:29:58 »
TKL/60% + separate numpad - you are already several steps ahead of the game!

Sounds like the KUL would your choice then.

As for cost, a mechanical keyboard should last you for years - plenty long enough to save up for a set of keycaps (or five).
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Roark17

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 19:44:22 »
I'm so happy to hear you say that because I just ordered the KUL with MX Blacks a few hours.  My girlfriend and I actually went out to celebrate since she was complaining about how long it was taking me to make a decision. LOL

Along with the KUL, I also ordered some key caps I liked from EK as well as the Leopold PBT black with front facing white legends set from eBay.  I'm really excited about this and thank you guys for the help in making this decision.  As shoudl be clear from my sig at this point, I still would love to try a Poker 2 but with Clears.  Unfortunately, they don't make it with clears, but hopefully I can find someone selling their own modded one or something.  The 60% form factor would serve me well on trips to campus due to its portability.  That way I don't need to use a crappy rubber dome at my university's labs.

Offline cruzin

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 09 August 2014, 22:38:43 »
@cruzin
Glad to hear you're liking your ES-87.  What attracted me to it was the solid construction and clean, professional aesthetics.  If they had just put PBT caps on it, I would have bought it a long time ago.  But, as you suggested, custom key caps solve that.  May I also ask, as someone who is enjoying MX Clears, how do you feel about the lighter switches?  Even though I initially felt more comfortable typing on Reds/Blues, I still feel that I prefer I heavier switch like Blacks/Clears and just needed a bit more time to get used to them.

I actually haven't tried too many other switches other than browns, reds and clears. I know I didn't like the mushiness of the browns and the lack of tactile feel on the reds. I took a gamble on the clears by buying the KUL before trying them out, but I'm very much enjoying them. I like the slight resistance to them and the barely noticeable bump. I think blues would've eventually driven me crazy although I'm still tempted to try out greens.
Current: Ergodox (Ergo-clears) | Kinesis Advantage (Browns) -- Colemak
Future: HHKB Pro 2 | Maltron L90 | µtron | Axios