Author Topic: Newbie to the mech world  (Read 1860 times)

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
Newbie to the mech world
« on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 05:46:08 »
Hello geekhack! I been lurking this forum for about a month now.
Im glad I found this website I didn't know there was this cool community dedicated to mech keyboards.

After lurking this forum for a while I been adding keyboards to my wish list and I recently took a hit on my wallet. I bought a poker 2 mx blues and race 2 mx browns.
Now I hope I don't end up spending too much on this expensive hobby as im  already looking forward to my first granite keycaps and 2 low profile poker Aluminum cases red/silver.
I bought 2 alu cases because I plan on buying another poker 2 but for my gf. She loves the feeling of blues but she thinks its a little loud. She likes the browns but not as much as the blues but the noise is the issue.
We are torn between buying another poker with blues or browns. I told her we could switch between our keyboards. Which sounds like good idea. However I really enjoy the blues very much and I have the Race 2 with browns.
I'm not sure what switch to buy  :'(.
anyways enough of my crying here are my keyboards

Offline Candyflip

• ★★★
Re: Newbie to the mech world
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 06:57:27 »
Welcome to GeekHack nice keyboards man!
Prepare your wallet for many hits in the future, there is a reason why this place is called wallethack  :))
I am a fan of blues myself but I don't mind the noise at all. If you like the tactility of the blues over the browns but dislike the noise they make you should look at clear switches or even modded ones, or you can even venture in the Topre land. I hope you enjoy your stay here and feel free to ask away whatever question you may have.
ps. Sooner or later you will want to try them all  ;)
This sucks more than anything that has ever sucked before.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 16:24:48 »
2 keyboards. Good start, heh.

One day you'll discover the awesomeness (and expensiveness) of Korean custom (or "Kustom") boards.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 17:28:45 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Sometimes known as Wallethack ;)

We have a number of therapy threads.  Actually, I don't think there is a wallet therapy thread :eek:
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Hundrakia

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 17:35:48 »
Nice photography!!
Welcome

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 18:50:59 »
2 keyboards. Good start, heh.

One day you'll discover the awesomeness (and expensiveness) of Korean custom (or "Kustom") boards.
Links/photos to what you are talking about ? you got my attention :blank:

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 18:53:17 »
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47644.0

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=35864.0

http://gonskeyboardworks.com/

I love GON's keyboards the most (I'm building one soon), but the sheer variety of Kustoms that exist is astounding.

They usually come as a kit too, so you have to build it yourself.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 18:55:59 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

We have a number of therapy threads.  Actually, I don't think there is a wallet therapy thread :eek:
I have no idea how much i spent but im not going to keep count this is just 1 big spend and I'm done for now....  :eek:

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 19:01:21 »
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=47644.0

http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=35864.0

http://gonskeyboardworks.com/

I love GON's keyboards the most (I'm building one soon), but the sheer variety of Kustoms that exist is astounding.

They usually come as a kit too, so you have to build it yourself.

I seriously hate this forum now. My heart/wallet hurts now :'( those keyboards with acrylic cases are nice. I see many mx clears are they really more better than browns?
how do i go about making a 60% one :llama:

EDIT: I lurked and holy the prices for parts. No thank you I spent enough already maybe in about a year or two. Going to enjoy the pokers and race for a while with custom keycaps and alu cases.
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 August 2014, 19:04:07 by appleonama »

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 26 August 2014, 19:13:59 »
It's been 2 years and I only now said "I really should get one of these"

You'll be fine without one. For now.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 27 August 2014, 05:02:49 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

I have no idea how much i spent but im not going to keep count this is just 1 big spend and I'm done for now....  :eek:

Are you in denial already? :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ