Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 861 times)

Offline arakula

Hello!
« on: Fri, 12 September 2014, 06:53:29 »
Hi there -

I'm new to this forum, but definitely not new to mechanical keyboards :cool:

Having started on 3277 and 3278 terminals back in the early '80s, I've worked with the original IBM PC, XT, AT, 3270 PC, up to the PS/2 (Model M) keyboards - which I dearly love and have used ever since their appearance. IMO, nothing beats the haptics of a buckling spring IBM. Wherever I set up shop, I take one of them with me, either original IBMs or Unicomp ones. Currently, I got about... hmmm... 8 or 9 IBM Model M MF-II keyboards, one Unicomp Classic 105, and one Unicomp PC/5250 (which I'm currently writing this on). And one rubber dome IBM Model M, but that doesn't really count :-)

A 122-key model M terminal keyboard is currently waiting in semi-modified state, waiting for a Teensy which should arrive any day.

Bye,

Hermann

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Hello!
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 06:21:30 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

I was feeling nostalgic, and switched to one of my Model M keyboards this morning (I have only two).  Fantastic keyboards, although I found out this afternoon that the case on this one was separated on the lower right side.  It snapped together easily enough, but still feels loose.

There are quite a few Model M aficionados here too - you will fit right in :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ