Author Topic: What is/are your Favorite Topre Switch Keyboard(s) and Why?  (Read 9594 times)

Offline Hypersphere

What is/are your Favorite Topre Switch Keyboard(s) and Why?
« on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 18:24:38 »
What is your favorite Topre Switch Keyboard and Why?

Here is a list of all the Topre-switch keyboards that I know about (please let us know if there are others!):

CM Novatouch (45g)
HHKB Pro 2 (45g) [white/black/legends/blank]
HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (45g)
Leopold FC660C (45g) [black/gray]
µTron (45g)
RF 87u (variable) [black/white]
RF 87u silent (variable) [black/white]
RF 87u (45g) [black/white]
RF 87u [anniversary edition]
RF 87u (55g) [black/white]
RF 104u (variable)
RF 104u high-profile (45g)
Type Heaven 104 (45g)

In my case, I have owned and tried the CM Novatouch with stock and thick PBT keycaps, HHKB Pro 2 white and black, Leopold FC660C, RF 87u 45g, and RF 87u 55g white and black.

My favorites are the HHKB Pro 2 for the form factor and layout, and the RF 87u 55g black for the sound and feel.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
Re: What is/are your Favorite Topre Switch Keyboard(s) and Why?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 18:32:56 »
My HHKB pro 2 with 55g domes is easily my favorite. The answer used to be my 55g Realforce, but there's just something about the way the HHKB mounts the sliders that makes it ridiculously smooth. It's my work board for the most part, but if I need to travel, it goes with me as well. I've been doing all of my papers on it and some light gaming because it just feels too good to put away. Just wish I could get an aluminum case for it.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 18:53:29 »
My HHKB pro 2 with 55g domes is easily my favorite. The answer used to be my 55g Realforce, but there's just something about the way the HHKB mounts the sliders that makes it ridiculously smooth. It's my work board for the most part, but if I need to travel, it goes with me as well. I've been doing all of my papers on it and some light gaming because it just feels too good to put away. Just wish I could get an aluminum case for it.
For some time, I have been thinking that the ideal keyboard would be a HHKB Pro 2 with 55g domes and the switches mounted in a steel plate. The next best thing might be the HHKB Pro 2 as it is (case-mounted switches), but with a transplant of 55g domes from a 55g RF board. However, I have been reluctant to do major surgery on two of my best and most expensive keyboards.

Could you please describe in detail how you installed 55g domes into your HHKB or post links to the procedure (videos or a series of images would be most welcome!)? Did you put the HHKB 45g domes into your RF donor board? What did you do with the resulting RF "Frankenboard"?

Edit: On second thought, although I have not yet tried the HHKB Pro 2 Type-S, from all that I have read about it, I think this could be the very best starting point for a 55g dome transplant. Thoughts on using a Type-S vs a regular HHKB?

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 September 2014, 18:56:42 by Hypersphere »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 18:58:05 »
55g RF
hhkb 45g

switch feels much smoother on the RF than hhkb.

and yes, i've tried the 45g RF also. but that felt way too light. couldn't even rest my fingers on the board without a key activating.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 18:58:53 »
I don't have any pictures (did it on a whim and didn't think to take any) but it's actually really easy. It's just unscrewing both PCBs and pulling the domes from one to the other. I suggest placing them face down into the sliders, then suspending the plate/top case so that the sliders fall which makes reassembly a lot easier. I did put the 45g domes into my realforce, but I just don't like 45g topre...at all basically, and that's why I waited until I got my 23u to transplant the last of the 55g domes into that. I sold the resulting "frankenboard" (which was really just a 45g Realforce with 3 55g domes on esc, caps lock, and scroll lock) and that was that.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 19:05:35 »
I'm kind of split on a lot of things.

I like the typing feel/sound of HHKB (case mount).  But since I use a lot of software shortcuts / number pad at work, so a full size regular layout is best for me.

I've also tried Realforce HiPro before and I like the feel of it too, except in the end I couldn't get used to the keycap angle (way too sculpted and I keep hitting the edge) and spherical profile.

Currently I'm using my Realforce 104U variable but I always wish it was 45g uniform, which I might mod it to later.

Yupe still looking for the perfect Topre lol.
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 September 2014, 19:08:31 by Hyde »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 19:07:11 »
I don't have any pictures (did it on a whim and didn't think to take any) but it's actually really easy. It's just unscrewing both PCBs and pulling the domes from one to the other. I suggest placing them face down into the sliders, then suspending the plate/top case so that the sliders fall which makes reassembly a lot easier. I did put the 45g domes into my realforce, but I just don't like 45g topre...at all basically, and that's why I waited until I got my 23u to transplant the last of the 55g domes into that. I sold the resulting "frankenboard" (which was really just a 45g Realforce with 3 55g domes on esc, caps lock, and scroll lock) and that was that.

And just to confirm: Did you start with a regular HHKB Pro 2 or with a HHKB Pro 2 Type-S?

In addition, I prefer a black case on the HHKB Pro 2, but the Type-S is available only in white. Is it also a simple matter to swap cases? So, what I would like to do is as follows:

1. Type-S white case --> Type-S black case.

2. Type-S black case --> Type-S black case + 55g domes.

Suggestions?

Thanks again.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 19:09:53 »

And just to confirm: Did you start with a regular HHKB Pro 2 or with a HHKB Pro 2 Type-S?

In addition, I prefer a black case on the HHKB Pro 2, but the Type-S is available only in white. Is it also a simple matter to swap cases? So, what I would like to do is as follows:

1. Type-S white case --> Type-S black case.

2. Type-S black case --> Type-S black case + 55g domes.

Suggestions?

Thanks again.

I have/started with a type-s. If you wanted to switch cases, that would require pulling all of the silencing pads and sliders out of the type-s and transplanting those to the black case which isn't hard either. Just takes a little pushing from the top to get them to pop out. Still wouldn't be hard, but it's expensive haha.
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 September 2014, 19:14:49 by exitfire401 »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 19:10:46 »
So far, I'm having to go with the HHKB as my favorite Topre.   I tried mkawa's Realforce Anniversary edition (I think it's 35g domes) and it was so light as to be ridiculous.  I couldn't use it if I wanted to.  The FC660C I borrowed from Hoffmanmyster just felt unpleasant, probably since it's plate mounted or whatever you call with Topre. The JDL board jalaj is letting me use for some Topre cap making experimentation just feels like a puddle of meh.  The only one I've really appreciated so far in terms of feel is the HHKB.

Offline paicrai

• Actually a Jane Austen novel
  • * Destiny Supporter
  • mindblank
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 19:13:20 »
hhkb type s
THE FEMINIST ILLUMINATI

I will literally **** you raw paicrai, I hope you're legal by the time I meet you.
👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀👌👀 good **** go౦ԁ ****👌 thats ✔ some good👌👌**** right👌👌th 👌 ere👌👌👌 right✔there ✔✔if i do ƽaү so my self 💯  i say so 💯  thats what im talking about right there right there (chorus: ʳᶦᵍʰᵗ ᵗʰᵉʳᵉ) mMMMMᎷМ💯 👌👌 👌НO0ОଠOOOOOОଠଠOoooᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒᵒ👌 👌👌 👌 💯 👌 👀 👀 👀 👌👌Good ****

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 19:22:05 »
Throwing in a vote for the HHKB too.  While I appreciate the sturdy and solid feel of 45g realforce keyboards, they feel somewhat stale to me after a while of use. The HHKB provides a much more "fun" typing experience for me.  By the way Hypersphere, I found an excellent blog post from someone who walks through the process of converting a stock HHKB into a 55g board.  I wouldn't be too scared of doing some surgery on your topre boards,aside from the tedious work of unscrewing the PCB, there's really not too much work involved.  The HHKB simply requires a bit more caution because there are some fragile components inside, and the case was not designed for enthusiasts in mind.  Modding Topre boards for me, at least,  has been so much simpler than any MX board I've owned.

Here's the blog post.
https://medium.com/@probablypat/keyboard-of-smiting-ed61dee89efd
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 13 September 2014, 19:47:17 »
FYI, I have also started a poll with the same question over on DT. Here is the link if you would also care to cast your vote and be able to see a bar chart with the results:

http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/what-is-your-favorite-topre-switch-keyboard-and-why-t8744.html

Thanks for expressing your opinions!

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 02:31:12 »
My 660C, honestly. Not sure what's up with my 55g, but recently my hands have been hurting using it coming from the Clears (probably because I have to use more muscle to lift the fingers back up after depressing a key).

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 02:38:27 »
My 660C, honestly. Not sure what's up with my 55g, but recently my hands have been hurting using it coming from the Clears (probably because I have to use more muscle to lift the fingers back up after depressing a key).

I hear ya there. 55g hurt my hands. 45g HHKB is where its at. But also 45g 87u.  :thumb:

Offline Belfong

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 04:17:32 »
I gotta say HHKB Pro 2 for me too. While I like 55g RF, it doesn't have the thock sound that I associate with HHKB... thock thock thock thock.... it empowers me in my typing, you know!

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 09:00:21 »
Throwing in a vote for the HHKB too.  While I appreciate the sturdy and solid feel of 45g realforce keyboards, they feel somewhat stale to me after a while of use. The HHKB provides a much more "fun" typing experience for me.  By the way Hypersphere, I found an excellent blog post from someone who walks through the process of converting a stock HHKB into a 55g board.  I wouldn't be too scared of doing some surgery on your topre boards,aside from the tedious work of unscrewing the PCB, there's really not too much work involved.  The HHKB simply requires a bit more caution because there are some fragile components inside, and the case was not designed for enthusiasts in mind.  Modding Topre boards for me, at least,  has been so much simpler than any MX board I've owned.

Here's the blog post.

Thanks for the advice and the link. This is exactly the sort of thing I am looking for. It looks like it might be necessary for some of the keys to cut out domes from a connected sheet of domes. Does anyone have recommendations on the best way to do this?

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 09:09:29 »
When I first started using my RF 87u 55g, I experienced wrist pain. This was the first time I had noticed any signs of repetitive strain injury from using keyboards, including my IBM Model M and IBM Model F XT. It might have been from the 55g weight, but it could also have arisen from the higher impact of bottoming out on plate-mounted switches (as opposed to case-mounted switches in my HHKB). I stopped using the 55g RF for a while and the wrist pain disappeared. Now I have gone back to the 55g RF, paying attention to good "wrist posture" -- keeping the wrist straight and not resting on any surface while typing -- no more wrist pain.

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #17 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 10:13:33 »

Here's the blog post.

Thanks for the advice and the link. This is exactly the sort of thing I am looking for. It looks like it might be necessary for some of the keys to cut out domes from a connected sheet of domes. Does anyone have recommendations on the best way to do this?
I think a good tool for that sort of job would be an xacto knife(http://www.amazon.com/X-ACTO-Knife-Cap-Silver-X3602/dp/B000V1QV7O)
Also, I found one of Dustin's many great build logs for even more reference on how to guide yourself inside the HHKB. (http://imgur.com/a/gxpEi)
If you need any further help, please let me know, I'd love to help!
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 September 2014, 10:16:10 by Flyersfan1 »
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 10:17:57 »
I have used a couple of em. I did not like the HHKB pro 2 due to layout and feeling just a tiny bit less fun to type on compared to the Realforce. When it comes to realforce, I prefer the all-45g to the variable weight. But I use both, and honestly do not notice it too much when I switch between the two.

I have no experience with any other Topre keyboards.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 10:37:19 »
my 45g RF because it's pink
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline LaPoune

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 11:40:51 »
I always seem to be the only one who loves the variable versions. My favorite is my anniversary variable...once you get used to these typing on anything else feels tiring. Always wanted to swap the domes from one of my variables to my hhkb too...might do it sometimes soon...
Realforce 87U AE | Realforce 87U | Realforce 86U | HHKB JP | HHKB PRO | Filco Tenkeyless blue | Deck 82 Toxic (blue switches) | Crappy Gigabyte black cherries | Corsair K60 | Dell Model M

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 11:46:31 »

Here's the blog post.

I think a good tool for that sort of job would be an xacto knife(http://www.amazon.com/X-ACTO-Knife-Cap-Silver-X3602/dp/B000V1QV7O)
Also, I found one of Dustin's many great build logs for even more reference on how to guide yourself inside the HHKB. (http://imgur.com/a/gxpEi)
If you need any further help, please let me know, I'd love to help!
Thanks for the links to the X-Acto knife and another guide to the innards of the HHKB. This is beginning to sound more and more like major surgery! ;)

Here are my interim conclusions:

1. I am inclined to try the dome swap of putting 55g domes from a 55g RF into a HHKB. Now I am debating whether to do this on my existing HHKB or to buy a Type-S.

2. I am less inclined to try the dental band method for silencing the HHKB. This is for at least two reasons. First, I've read in other posts that the dental band method results in decreased keystroke travel and that the bands can slip out of position. Second, although the Type-S HHKB uses a dampening pad, which is similar to applying dental bands, the Type-S switch is different from the regular Topre switch; I think it might have a tighter fit between the plunger and switch housing than a normal Topre switch. With these things in mind, I think a genuine Type-S would be better than a dental-band silenced HHKB.

3. The Type-S is available only in white, and I prefer a black case (but with white alphas and black mods). However, swapping cases appears to require popping the switches out of one case and inserting them into the other case. It seems that this could incur some risk of breaking the switches. Does anyone have any tips on doing this?

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 12:14:56 »
I always seem to be the only one who loves the variable versions. My favorite is my anniversary variable...once you get used to these typing on anything else feels tiring. Always wanted to swap the domes from one of my variables to my hhkb too...might do it sometimes soon...

A lot of people seem to like the 45g for typing, but a lot of the reviews you'll see are from gamers, as they're a lot more vocal about their keyboards and the problems that they have.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline dante

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 13:48:56 »
Topre Type Heaven is my favorite due to
1) Lower profile (most important to me)
2) Uniform 104
3) Not too loud - not too quiet - just right.

Yes, just ABS plastic keycaps - but for my personal preferences: Lower Profile > PBT.

Offline Rainbow_

• zealio master race
« Reply #24 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 13:50:53 »
I modded my Realforce 104UB to all 45g. That's my favorite
Zealio Master Race

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 14 September 2014, 14:07:46 »
I modded my Realforce 104UB to all 45g. That's my favorite
Interesting. What was your source for the 45g switches?

I prefer smaller form factor boards, and my favorite Topre-switch board in terms of form factor and layout is the HHKB Pro 2. However, I prefer the solid sound and feel of the RF 87u, which I have in both the 45g and 55g versions. I am having trouble detecting the difference between the 45g and 55g switch weights, but if I listen carefully, I think the 55g sounds a bit more solid. My all-45g is the EK edition; one nice touch on this one is the red LEDs, which I prefer to the blue LEDs on the other models.

Offline noons

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 10:12:12 »
Initially I loved my 660C the keys had a snappier rewarding press then my RF, but after a long day of typing my hands began to ache. This would in turn significantly slow my typing and being a systems engineer I couldn't take the lag time. Also as odd as it sounds the additional snappiness that I enjoyed just seemed to get old and almost aggravating when trying to type fast in the middle of fighting a fire. I ended up switching back to my Realforce 45g (which I almost sold) and missed how light the switches are.
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 September 2014, 10:17:10 by noons »
Tofu65 Turquoise Tealios | Drop ALT LP Alpacas | 2X Leopold FC750R MX Brown | KUL MX Brown w/Cherry Stab MOD | Leopold FC660C BLANK | REALFORCE 87U 45G | HHKB PRO2 | Leopold TKL MX RED | Filco Majestouch 2 TKL MX BLUE

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 10:30:44 »
Initially I loved my 660C the keys had a snappier rewarding press then my RF, but after a long day of typing my hands began to ache. This would in turn significantly slow my typing and being a systems engineer I couldn't take the lag time. Also as odd as it sounds the additional snappiness that I enjoyed just seemed to get old and almost aggravating when trying to type fast in the middle of fighting a fire. I ended up switching back to my Realforce 45g (which I almost sold) and missed how light the switches are.
Today I am back to my 45g HHKB. I very much like its elegant design, and it is more fun than my other keyboards. Although I appreciate its "thockiness", this gets old after a while, and I miss the quieter solidity of my 55g RF 87u. I am still dithering over whether I prefer the 55g or 45g RF.

I am also still considering putting 55g domes into a HHKB and trying to decide whether the recipient should be a normal HHKB, a dental-band-modded HHKB, or a Type-S HHKB. I do not yet own a Type-S, and the high cost is definitely a factor in the decision.

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 10:48:31 »

The only way to get a Realforce with "official" silent Topre switches is with variable weight. I use one at work, and it's great since all I do on it is type. Gaming would cause some frustration due to accidental key presses, which is why I have a uniform 87U at home. Actually, it's the "frankenboard" modded one that exitfire referenced in the below quote. Everything about it is exactly what I would want in a Topre keyboard: Uniform weight (for the most part, anyway), 45g domes, silent (due to added silicone and Krytox lube), and the black chassis (where I'm in the process of adding some contrast with different keycaps).

While I wish for some improvements to the basic design, such as a DIP swtich to swap Windows with ALT and a removable USB cable, I otherwise couldn't be happier with both my Realforce boards.

I did put the 45g domes into my realforce, but I just don't like 45g topre...at all basically, and that's why I waited until I got my 23u to transplant the last of the 55g domes into that. I sold the resulting "frankenboard" (which was really just a 45g Realforce with 3 55g domes on esc, caps lock, and scroll lock) and that was that.

Offline Rainbow_

• zealio master race
« Reply #29 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 12:08:36 »
Interesting. What was your source for the 45g switches?

I had a Type Heaven.
Zealio Master Race

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #30 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 12:15:07 »
I ****ing love my 55g modded HHKB
Keymacs A620N-Rev.A with Alps SKCM Salmon switches

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 12:59:16 »
Was the recipient HHKB normal, dental-band-modded, or Type-S?

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 13:01:57 »

If the picture in his signature is accurate, it was at least a stock model since the Type-S is not offered in black.

Offline jameslr

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 13:03:33 »
Realforce 87U 55g is currently my favorite, but the Novatouch is gaining on it quickly. I think the variety in caps will allow the Novatouch to be one of the best Topre based keyboards there is. If only there were more configuration options for it. I really miss swappable Caps lock and Control keys. That's my favorite feature of the Realforce boards.
CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 13:22:24 »
@saturnotaku: Is it possible to move the Type-S switches to a black HHKB case? I have never seen a Type-S in person, but I saw a post that said that the Type-S switch housings were molded into the case and were therefore not removeable. Is it so?

@jamesir: Thanks for indicating that the RF 87u 55g is your favorite among RF boards. Do you prefer the black or white model? Have you tried the 45g version? I find it difficult to distinguish between the 45g and 55g RF by sound/feel, but if I am paying strict attention, the 55g wins by a small margin.

Regarding the Novatouch, I really would like to see this concept succeed, but unless the unit I received is a statistical outlier, considering the flaws and some missing features, the keyboard does not seem quite ready for prime time. However, compatibility with Cherry keycaps could be enough of an attraction to offset other deficiencies. Moreover, although I enjoy the quality of my RF boards, the relative lack of keycaps for them is somewhat frustrating.

I am still looking forward to the possibility of doing a 55g mod on a HHKB -- possibly a stock or dental-modded one, but the Type-S might be the ultimate (especially if it is possible to move the switches to a black case). The scarcity of Topre keycaps is not as much an issue with the HHKB as it is with the RF, because available RF sets will fit the HHKB and there are 4 varieties of HHKB sets available (printed or nonprinted for either black or white/gray).

Offline jameslr

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 13:41:13 »
@jamesir: Thanks for indicating that the RF 87u 55g is your favorite among RF boards. Do you prefer the black or white model? Have you tried the 45g version? I find it difficult to distinguish between the 45g and 55g RF by sound/feel, but if I am paying strict attention, the 55g wins by a small margin.

Regarding the Novatouch, I really would like to see this concept succeed, but unless the unit I received is a statistical outlier, considering the flaws and some missing features, the keyboard does not seem quite ready for prime time. However, compatibility with Cherry keycaps could be enough of an attraction to offset other deficiencies. Moreover, although I enjoy the quality of my RF boards, the relative lack of keycaps for them is somewhat frustrating.

I have tried the 45g Realforce and they're nice, but I think I like the weight of the 55g the best. I prefer the beige/white Realforce as the keys on the dark grey / black model are too dark. I like legends even though I don't need them to actually type.
CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 13:49:02 »
@saturnotaku: Is it possible to move the Type-S switches to a black HHKB case? I have never seen a Type-S in person, but I saw a post that said that the Type-S switch housings were molded into the case and were therefore not removeable. Is it so?

I will defer that question to the folks who have actually modded their HHKB and/or Realforce boards. I've never owned the HHKB. Further, as much as I would love to dig into the guts of the Realforce, I'm not very handy and thus afraid of doing damage to the keyboards on which I've dropped a fair bit of coin.

I like legends even though I don't need them to actually type.

The dark print on dark keycaps is another annoyance, but I'm working around that and will be posting pictures of both my "Home" and "Away" boards. The latter is finished, but there's still some work to do on the former.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 14:34:41 »
Regarding color schemes on the RF and HHKB, I prefer a dark (black or graphite) case, but the black on dark-gray keycaps on the black versions of these keyboards seems silly to me -- it's like someone ought to stand up and declare, "The Emperor has no clothes!" To my eye, it would be better to have blanks rather than nearly illegible legends. What is even more comical is that apparently EK made a special arrangement with Topre to correct some issues with the legends for their "EK Edition", which is available only in black!

I like legends, and at times I need them, but I tried populating the entire RF 87 and HHKB with printed caps, and it looked too busy to me. Therefore, on my black RF, I went with printed blue caps for the alphas, spacebar, numbers, and arrow keys, but everything else is black. In addition, I replaced the Windows bubble keys with black Opt/Alt keys from a black HHKB set; they are a perfect match.

On my HHKB, I have done a similar thing, using the lettered white set for the alphas and numbers, keeping everything else (including the spacebar) black.

Now I have a white RF 87u 55g that I was going to use at work, but I don't like the white case. Therefore, I am considering putting it up for sale. It is brand new except for taking it out of the box once to test the keys. Before selling it, I might first take a look to see if I like the effect of putting black mods on it, but I doubt this will look as good as it does on a black case.

I would like to do something similar with the color scheme when I get around to doing a 55g mod on a HHKB, but if I hope to use a Type-S (only available in white), I need to find out if it is possible to move the Type-S switches into a black HHKB case.

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 14:55:12 »

yeah it's a normal HHKB, I won't touch the Type-S with a bargepole for two reasons

1. Farting noise (doesn't happen on any of my 3 Topre boards, and I've only heard of it on the Type-S)
2. Insane price.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #39 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 15:21:03 »
@oscillik: Thanks re: type of HHKB used to receive 55g domes (normal HHKB). I've recently heard about Type-S flatulence. Maybe this is the penalty for the closer tolerance between the plunger and switch housing. If this is the case, then it might be better to do the 55g mod on a standard HHKB or possibly one with the dental-band mod. However, I've heard of negative effects from the dental-band mod, including reduced key travel, slippage of the bands, and broken bands (albeit at rather a long time -- perhaps two years -- following installation).

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #40 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 15:24:13 »
@oscillik: Thanks re: type of HHKB used to receive 55g domes (normal HHKB). I've recently heard about Type-S flatulence. Maybe this is the penalty for the closer tolerance between the plunger and switch housing. If this is the case, then it might be better to do the 55g mod on a standard HHKB or possibly one with the dental-band mod. However, I've heard of negative effects from the dental-band mod, including reduced key travel, slippage of the bands, and broken bands (albeit at rather a long time -- perhaps two years -- following installation).

yeah that's why I won't be doing the dental band mod. I like the thock, and the key travel. only mod I needed to do was the 55g and I'm happy with it.

First time doing it, and I lubed the stems while I was in there. took me about an hour and a half, but I was being careful and slow.

Offline pbtforever

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 15:34:11 »
Realforce 87U Variable.

The Novatouch is out of the running until they wise up, spend the $10, and put PBT keys on it.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #42 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 15:34:28 »
Thanks, oscillik! I am becoming convinced that I should try the dome swap with one of my regular HHKBs. The dome swap is certainly simpler than doing a dental-band mod, and certainly much simpler than moving switches to a new case, which might not even be possible with a Type-S.

Doing a dome swap would also provide an opportunity to do a proper lube on the Topre switches. I have tried lubing the stems without taking the keyboard apart, but apparently this is not the way to do it, and it might even be counterproductive.

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #43 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 15:38:51 »
Thanks, oscillik! I am becoming convinced that I should try the dome swap with one of my regular HHKBs. The dome swap is certainly simpler than doing a dental-band mod, and certainly much simpler than moving switches to a new case, which might not even be possible with a Type-S.

Doing a dome swap would also provide an opportunity to do a proper lube on the Topre switches. I have tried lubing the stems without taking the keyboard apart, but apparently this is not the way to do it, and it might even be counterproductive.

yeah, I took the opportunity to lube the stems whilst I was in there, as I believe it is the best way to do it from what I've read.

it took a while (and I even took the opportunity to lube the stems on the Realforce 87UB 55 too), and although it took some time I think it's been well worth it in the end. I'll probably not need to lube them again for a long long time.

and the feels. oh god, the feels.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 15:46:54 »
I wish we could buy 55g domes as spare parts from the Topre factory or whatever their source is for these things. It seems likely that the domes cost very little and could be run off in lots of hundreds or more, whereas harvesting them from a finished board is outrageously expensive.

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 16:05:05 »
I wish we could buy 55g domes as spare parts from the Topre factory or whatever their source is for these things. It seems likely that the domes cost very little and could be run off in lots of hundreds or more, whereas harvesting them from a finished board is outrageously expensive.

yeah definitely. I'll probably end up selling this frankenstein 87UB that I have. although it is such a nice keyboard.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 15 September 2014, 23:28:53 »
45g in my HHKB because that is the only Topre switch/keyboard I have tried :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline atlas3686

• HHKB Elite
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Preacher at the church of Thorpe
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 03:00:26 »
It's kind of a toss up for me between a 55g Realforce and the HHKB type-s. The type-s is absolutely great for long typing sessions and is probably the better of the two if we talking pure typing but for more general use I prefer the 55g, love the feel love the thock :)

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 04:16:30 »
None. Because I don't like any of them very much.

If I had to choose one, I'd say DIY silenced 55g RealForce domes in a Leopold FC660C. Because they have the right strength, the Leopold adds some "tightness", they have the right amount of "pop", they're quiet and the throw is shortened slightly.

Still don't like 'em much, though.
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 September 2014, 04:18:50 by Oobly »
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline oscillik

• music podcasts
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 16 September 2014, 08:04:25 »
get out.