Author Topic: Your favorite/dream keyboard?  (Read 5980 times)

Offline AverageHybrid

Your favorite/dream keyboard?
« on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 06:46:05 »
Assuming that money is not the problem, what would be your favorite or dream keyboard? Want to hear your views about your favorite modded and/or non-modded keyboard.

I guess mine would be the HHKB Type-S but sadly I am a student and I do not have enough money for that and it costs so much to ship it to my country. Maybe I'll get a Realforce one day as they are cheaper but I really like the minimalist design of the HHKB and the layout of they keys. Am currently owning a Filco Majestouch Ninja Blues with custom blank Ducky PBT keycaps and absolutely love it! Would hope to get a second keyboard soon though.
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 October 2014, 09:50:58 by AverageHybrid »

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
Re: Your favorite/dream keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 06:48:23 »
If you're not set on Topre switches you can get a GH60 and make it act like a HHKB. Or go for one of the other 60% layouts, most of them are pretty good.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 06:52:13 »
Any 60% would work for me. :)
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline AverageHybrid

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 07:03:43 »
The Feenix Autore looks pretty too!

Offline jsw

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 07:12:41 »
Ergodox with mx clears. blue/grey/black blank keyset.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 07:58:14 »

In the hunt for a beamspring now. Need some of that beamspraaaang lovin.

Offline Battou62

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 07:59:42 »
My Kmac of course :)

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 08:06:18 »
symmetric kb like utron
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 08:11:14 »
With no modification, it would be an IBM model F space-unsaver.

With modifications, it would be a custom model F with a full metal case (stainless steal or titanium) with a layout of either an SSK or a space unsaver or maybe a 60% with the SSK layout (for the 60% part).
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 08:13:44 »
The one I want doesn't exist yet, but I'm going to build it. Similar to my existing DIY ergo board, but with a few improvements. I hope to make a limited number of them available to GHers at some point, too.  ;)
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 08:19:30 »
456GT with GMK Cyrillic caps
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 08:54:33 »
Just let me get every gon board

So flashy and well built =(

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 09:00:38 »
Assuming non modded - doesn't exist

including full custom one off pieces - Buckling or beam spring ergo dox with MX compatible stems, capacitive PCB for NKRO, and milled stainless case.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 09:40:10 »
hhkb pro 2 type-s
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline AverageHybrid

« Reply #14 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 09:50:18 »
Then I shall change my question then, which non-modded and modded keyboard is your dream/favorite keyboard?
For me non-modded will probably still be the HHKB Type-S. Modded would be something as to the lines of aluminium casing and custom keycaps in a TKL or 60% form factor.

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 09:56:08 »
Assuming that money is not the problem, what would be your favorite or dream keyboard? Want to hear your views about your favorite modded and/or non-modded keyboard.

I guess mine would be the HHKB Type-S but sadly I am a student and I do not have enough money for that and it costs so much to ship it to my country. Maybe I'll get a Realforce one day as they are cheaper but I really like the minimalist design of the HHKB and the layout of they keys. Am currently owning a Filco Majestouch Ninja Blues with custom blank Ducky PBT keycaps and absolutely love it! Would hope to get a second keyboard soon though.

Thank you for the white text, that made it so easy for me to read.

But to be honest, I really enjoyed using the HHKB Pro 2, the switch was perfect for typing, just not for gaming, so perhaps a HHKB Pro 2 /w reds? that would be a better fit for me, I think.
你搞砸了

Offline ksm123

« Reply #16 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 10:49:37 »
My daily driver and favorite keyboard is ErgoDox with ergo clears (62g, lubed).

I do not have one "dream keyboard". There are a few (not existing yet) keyboards I would like to try:

1. Ergo keyboard with column staggered layout, keys in Maltron like wells and buckling spring mechanism. (and single, silenced room at work to use it, without fear of finding it damaged by coworkers the following day).
2. Ergodox like keyboard with light-weight case and capacitive 55g switches.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 11:20:31 »

Thank you for the white text, that made it so easy for me to read.

Whoa I didn't even see that text until you said that. I though that gap was intentional.

My dream board is something Model F, or really anything I don't have yet. I want to try everything.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 11:32:25 »
« Last Edit: Mon, 21 September 2015, 10:32:21 by esoomenona »

Offline RED-404

« Reply #19 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 11:35:03 »
 The dream lies not with the keyboard, but with the hands.

But I can live with this.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 11:35:28 »
People start out defaulted on the black background stylesheet, so they don't realize that so many people don't use it. Thus, they end up using colors that are legible against black, and so many others can't read it.

Yep, indeed.  I don't fault him for it, but it should still be mentioned so it doesn't happen all the time.  And I was on tapatalk at the time, with the default skin for that, which shows up blank.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 11:48:06 »
After trying scores of boards with different form factors, layouts, and switch types, my current favorites are as follows:

IBM XT, RF 87u 55g, HHKB Pro 2.

Based on my preferences and research, I think that I would like to do the following to get close to my dream board:

HHKB Type S with 55g domes from a RF and a black case.

This dream board could be cobbled together with parts from other commercially available boards.

Another one I would like to find is:

IBM Model F 62-key "Kishsaver".

The Kishsaver exists, but it is rare. I am still looking for one.

A dream board that could not be made easily:

HHKB Type S with black case, 55g Topre switches, and a steel plate. Perhaps with a Bluetooth option.

Offline snoopy

• The Flying Ace
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Gone with the Wind
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 12:06:33 »
Kishsaver
Industrial SSK
HHKB Type-S

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 12:16:07 »
I'm content with my ducky shine 2 with stock clears and my current leopold pbt caps.

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 12:37:11 »
MY POKER 2<3

dream board: MY POKER 2 <3 (but with better and thicker pbt caps and a beast plate) haven't got both of those yet

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 12:39:11 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 September 2015, 14:50:21 by esoomenona »

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #26 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 12:56:50 »

MY POKER 2<3

dream board: MY POKER 2 <3 (but with better and thicker pbt caps and a beast plate) haven't got both of those yet

Wait.... You want better and thicker PBT caps on your Poker 2? But this guy says the caps on the Poker 2 are the G.O.A.T. (greatest of all time), and will be upset with you for saying otherwise.
maybe thick cherry dyesubs? one thing about the poker 2 caps are that u can feel the legends and the font is hecka ugly

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 13:04:25 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 11 September 2015, 14:50:00 by esoomenona »

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #28 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 13:06:38 »
MY POKER 2<3

Wait.... You want better and thicker PBT caps on your Poker 2? But this guy says the caps on the Poker 2 are the G.O.A.T. (greatest of all time), and will be upset with you for saying otherwise.
Man ezpy is going ham on this guy! lol
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #29 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 13:08:07 »
MY POKER 2<3

But they're just so thick and nice :p
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline argcargv

• tempting the banhammer
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 15:05:08 »

I think an aluminum case HHKB is my dream keyboard.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 15:13:18 »
Show Image

I think an aluminum case HHKB is my dream keyboard.

I really wonder what those would feel like because I think one reason a lot of people like the feeling of the HHKB is because it is case mounted in the plastic case.

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline wes1099

• Technology and Dog Enthusiast
« Reply #33 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 19:22:44 »
I don't have a dream keyboard, mainly because I have only typed on reds before.I really want to try clears, whites, blues, and topre 55g but that will be a while.

[Leopold FC660C]     [GON NeRD 60]    [Infinity Keyboard]    [ Model M Silver Label]
[Topre 45g Silent]     [Gateron Black]    [Cherry MX Black]     [Model Number 1390636]
                                                                                         [May 20, 1987]

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #34 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 19:26:48 »

MY POKER 2<3

maybe thick cherry dyesubs? one thing about the poker 2 caps are that u can feel the legends and the font is hecka ugly

Did you not read him clearly? It doesn't matter if the font is ugly. It doesn't matter that you can feel the legends. The caps are the best ever. And if you're saying otherwise, you're an ******* douchebag.

I RATHER BE AN ******* TO HIM THAN TO MY FINGERS. I WANNA "ENJOY MY FEELING"

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 19:33:23 »
My dream board changes all the time but right now I'm really wanting a wireless Korean custom in 65% form factor with a brass plate in the bottom.  Maybe some funky combination of aluminium, acrylic/polycarb, and then the brass. /shrug

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 19:36:27 »
There was just a thread about this: http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=61033.0
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 October 2014, 19:41:27 by jacobolus »

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
« Reply #37 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 22:09:53 »

MY POKER 2<3

Did you not read him clearly? It doesn't matter if the font is ugly. It doesn't matter that you can feel the legends. The caps are the best ever. And if you're saying otherwise, you're an ******* douchebag.

That's why I'm trying to hunt for a blank set, it's like best of both worlds.  Feel good while not feeling the legends.  :thumb:

But yes people underestimate how good those "stock" keycaps are, and I have tried quite a few different PBT keycaps until I come to this conclusion.
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 October 2014, 22:11:34 by Hyde »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline dante

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 22:19:24 »
A tenkeyless Qsenn DT35

Offline PointyFox

« Reply #39 on: Thu, 02 October 2014, 22:22:05 »
Topre 70g, wireless with encryption, programmable RGB backlighting, volume knob, solid PBT decupleshots that allow backlighting, fully programmable, anodized titanium case, fox artwork.

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 01:20:21 »

MY POKER 2<3

That's why I'm trying to hunt for a blank set, it's like best of both worlds.  Feel good while not feeling the legends.  :thumb:

But yes people underestimate how good those "stock" keycaps are, and I have tried quite a few different PBT keycaps until I come to this conclusion.

I think you've got it wrong, people don't underestimate it, we just have many more pbt sets that we value over these poker caps. They're great no doubt! But there is better..

Offline onseki

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 03 October 2014, 02:52:21 »
Pretty happy with my Poker II Blue. I would probably be happy with a light pink aluminium case and a set of Miamis. I don't think I have enough disposable income for a set yet, heh

Offline ADFX_Pixy

« Reply #42 on: Sat, 04 October 2014, 21:12:08 »
Both are Cooler Master Keyboards. The Novatouch and the Quickfire Rapid with Blue switches. I could easily ask for a Happy Hacking Keyboard but the Novatouch has MX compatible switch stems and is in a TKL format. I just want a QFR because of the customization that people have done with it on these forums.
CM Storm Quickfire Stealth Cherry MX Brown
Mechanicalkeyboards.com MK 2016 Cherry MX Brown

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #43 on: Sun, 05 October 2014, 03:02:05 »
With no modification, it would be an IBM model F space-unsaver.

With modifications, it would be a custom model F with a full metal case (stainless steal or titanium) with a layout of either an SSK or a space unsaver or maybe a 60% with the SSK layout (for the 60% part).

Model F with full metal case?

Might as well mod a typewriter. They're about the same weight.  :p
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline bickle

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 01:48:32 »
G80-3234 HQU
a.k.a. REUTERS  :-*

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 12:58:42 »
A Noppoo Choc Mini that doesn't break, fml.
你搞砸了

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 07 October 2014, 13:05:44 »
Mine would be a JD-40 with MX green alphas, MX black mods, and galaxy class keycaps.

..one day!

Boards:
Silver 84-key KMAC LE, 62g lubed & stickered ergo-clears, GON NerD PCB, polycarbonate plate,MX lock/Phosphorglow IBM Model M SSK 1391472/White HHKB Pro 2, Hasu controller/WKL Phantom, 50g vintage blacks, MX lock
Leeku G80-1800 (build in progress)