Author Topic: Has anyone painted the inside of a clear acrylic KB case?  (Read 1273 times)

Offline jsquared

Has anyone painted the inside of a clear acrylic KB case?
« on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 16:22:54 »
Just wondering if anyone has given this a go before, I was thinking how it might end up looking really rad if done well. I've painted RC car bodies (Lexan) using the same principle, working from the inside out in layers so as to leave a complex scheme when viewed outside-in. These are airbrushed or factory painted I'm sure but you can get an idea of what's possible:

The idea of working backwards from the inside allows for some interesting use of stencils, decals, and such also.  Even a generic splatter or pinstripe scheme works pretty well:

Anyone given this a shot yet?  I would imagine some careful planning around thicknesses and tolerances is in order, but as long as you didnt spray it on too thick I wouldnt imagine it being too much of a worry for the PCB fitment. You would want to keep any layer-to-layer mating surfaces clean, and could maybe even work in some kind of scheme where the sides of each layer alternate or show a pattern when viewed edge-on (translucent paint would work awesome for this I think...):

Thoughts? I've got some clear cases coming in a few months and am considering trying something like this when the time comes.
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 October 2014, 16:27:07 by jsquared »

Online fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Has anyone painted the inside of a clear acrylic KB case?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 17:28:09 »
I think that this a good idea.

Painting keyboards and keys is always problematic because of the uneven wear issue.

Doing it on the inside would be protected and clean.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline jsquared

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 06 October 2014, 18:27:25 »
That's kinda what I'm thinking too, protect the paint by putting it on the inside and also add some depth to it with the layer of acrylic on top acting as a mega-thick clearcoat of sorts.

Offline TobiasFB

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 17:10:57 »
I think it would be awesome as long as you take time on masking it and the painting.

gh60

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 17:44:28 »
I'm surprised this is the first time I've seen a post like this (haven't been around long too though) but I was considering doing this so I wouldn't have to worry about having to clean finger prints between the layers of the case.
I've painted RC bodies before and it's a blessing because you can just lay it down and the outside will always look good and even.

I'd do some neat thing with adding lighting to the bottom of the PCB and paint the top layer to block out the light so that the light only shoots down.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition