Poll

Which profile would you prefer for Deep Space keyset? Select all that apply.

DSA
DCS
SA (profile TBD if selected)

Author Topic: [IC] DEEP SPACE - Now a GB (& Keycap Giveaway!)  (Read 77008 times)

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
Re: [IC] NEW Deep Space set - UPDATED W/ESTIMATES
« Reply #250 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 00:15:15 »
I have no problem with the prices of the mainstream kits. Only problem I see is the image for the blanks you listed 2.25u twice which I assume the very top one is supposed to be 2.75.

Good catch! Thank you :)

Is it too late to include a 1.25u fn in the base mod sets?

Another one? I have one in there already, I need 2?

What happened to the HHKB layout keys? Specifically the 1.75u control, the 1.5u backspace, and the 1u "\|" key?

Are those 3 keys not going to make it in anymore? You had it in a previous mock up but took it out of the last two iterations.

Oops! They are in the adapter kit which I forgot to add, but I fixed OP now!

« Last Edit: Mon, 03 November 2014, 00:21:16 by Booper »
omniclectic@gmail.com if you need me!

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #251 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 00:32:43 »

My bad, I didn't look closely enough and assumed since there were no extra keys the one there was a menu key not fn. Ignore me :P

Planck w/ Zealios

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #252 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 00:36:12 »
Also I think super meta and hyper are labeled inaccurately. Super is more or less the win key, and I'm not entirely sure how the other two map to alt and ctrl since iirc they were distinct keys in addition to ctrl and alt on older keyboards.
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #253 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 01:39:10 »

My bad, I didn't look closely enough and assumed since there were no extra keys the one there was a menu key not fn. Ignore me :P

Ha, yea, I started to add an extra and figured I could just do it this way? Keyboards are all so different, I'm not sure if there is a standard on that. 

Also I think super meta and hyper are labeled inaccurately. Super is more or less the win key, and I'm not entirely sure how the other two map to alt and ctrl since iirc they were distinct keys in addition to ctrl and alt on older keyboards.

As someone using a poker on a Mac, I have a poor frame of reference about ctrl, alt, win, command, menu.... I figured with the "super, hyper, meta" at least they are the same size so can be swapped around? But I did go back and fix it! Thanks :)

Offline Skuloth

Re: [IC] NEW Deep Space set - UPDATED w/prices
« Reply #254 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 01:57:42 »
Doesn't hurt as much on the full size kits. For the JD40 is makes a difference tho.

However, I'm still on the switch to ctrl alt win train :P
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline tyvar1

• Otto is a Rhino!
    • Reddit
« Reply #255 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 02:17:14 »
Will spend around 86$ on this GB!
JD40 and planetary kit.
Really looking forward for this GB to start! :D
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 November 2014, 02:53:57 by tyvar1 »

Offline kebby

« Reply #256 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 02:57:18 »
I'm happy that the Planck exists since it makes it a bit easier to get caps for KBT Pure Pro... Only the spacebar is an issue that it doesn't help with (for ISO).

What size spacebar do you need!? I updated OP with prices and some adjustments so check it out and let me know if I need to add a spacebar size :D

It's 4.5x and Signature Plastics has one only for the SA family apparently. I guess it might be possible to include even if it's a bit different... I'm sure any Pure Pro owner would be happy to get some space bar options. :)

Anyone know how a SA spacebar would look with DCS, I imagine it would be tall compared to the other keys but it with such a unique key I don't think it would matter so much? The ISO enter I guess already will be from DCS because DSA does not have it.

I don't think it matters all that much whether or not it is the exact same. That said, the Symbolics Lisp machines had Control in addition to those, no Alt as a standard modifier. Historically Control was not a modifier key at all so it could be argued it's more correct to appropriate the labels that actually are only for modifier usage.

« Last Edit: Mon, 03 November 2014, 03:07:39 by kebby »

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #257 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 03:49:57 »
Hopefully the adapter kit reaches the higher tiers.

Offline tyvar1

• Otto is a Rhino!
    • Reddit
« Reply #258 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 05:39:32 »
I just hope that JD40 kit gets tipped!
The green tea JD40 kit got tipped just one hour before deadline :/

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #259 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 11:30:30 »

I'm reallllyy hoping this one tips!

I'll be picking up a JD40 kit + blanks or alphas + Planetary pack for sure.

Boards:
Silver 84-key KMAC LE, 62g lubed & stickered ergo-clears, GON NerD PCB, polycarbonate plate,MX lock/Phosphorglow IBM Model M SSK 1391472/White HHKB Pro 2, Hasu controller/WKL Phantom, 50g vintage blacks, MX lock
Leeku G80-1800 (build in progress)

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #260 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 15:26:29 »

Yea...  It was the one kit that seemed kinda pricey all things considered. I am thinking about taking out that space bar and selling it separately to shave a few bucks for those who don't need that size? It's hard to split it up because there are a lot of overlapping keys in those kits.

Hopefully it will be fine! I'm going to set a low tip point on it and the price seems ok I think :D

Offline tyvar1

• Otto is a Rhino!
    • Reddit
« Reply #261 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 15:46:08 »

Yea...  It was the one kit that seemed kinda pricey all things considered. I am thinking about taking out that space bar and selling it separately to shave a few bucks for those who don't need that size? It's hard to split it up because there are a lot of overlapping keys in those kits.

Hopefully it will be fine! I'm going to set a low tip point on it and the price seems ok I think :D
Great news! :D

Offline Sent

• Simplistic Serenity
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
« Reply #262 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 17:30:30 »

I'd think most people picking up that kit are running a 7u space bar but I'm not sure.  Either way, it wouldn't make a difference to me.  I'd still need to pick it up no matter what kit you put it in, lol.

Offline abandoner

« Reply #263 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 22:05:27 »
Prices are looking good. Can't wait!

Offline Jersern

• Australian Keyboard Modding and Repair Service
« Reply #264 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 23:56:07 »
The prices are pretty good especially at the 200s tiers. I might just buy 2 sets, one Polaris one Orion just so I can mix and match.  :p

Offline jackalope

• Now with 20% more soul.
« Reply #265 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 00:28:51 »
In for a core set.
eh o well

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #266 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 00:29:15 »
Prices are looking good. Can't wait!

The prices are pretty good especially at the 200s tiers. I might just buy 2 sets, one Polaris one Orion just so I can mix and match.  :p

XD Glad to hear it!! I was really happy the prices weren't extreme. I'm trying to make it super customizable so everyone can sorta build their own set. Hypothetically, someone could just do a whole blank blue and purple board if they wanted to! So maybe lots of folks will buy in 

Offline skipped

« Reply #267 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 11:10:25 »
Really interested in this set for my ergodox that should be coming in soon. I tried mocking up what it would look like using the sets available (in paint, please don't jugde), and the result was a little rough.

I used the Alphas, Ergodox, Planets, and 100% kits to make this (which already has the price pushing $110) and there are some keys that I feel are still needed.

More details inside, but it got a little long:
More
Missing Keys:
1.5 Blue - Shift
1 Blue - Ctrl/Alt/Win (or Super/Hyper/Meta)...honestly I'll probably end up using the astronaut helmet or galaxies for the planet pack to cover these
1.5 Blue - |\
1.5 Blue - CapsLock
1.5 Blue - Backspace

The adapter kit covers all of these except the 1.5 Blue - |\ and the 1.5 Blue - Shift, but currently the adapter kit is purple so they wouldn't really fit with the ergodox' blue. In the Granite ergodox kit, matt3o included two 1.5 shift keys and I think the ergodox set would be right right place to put them. Currently, I believe the only kit that has the 1.5 Blue - |\ key is the Base Mods, so I think this should be added to the ergodox kit too. From the ergodox layouts I've seen, I think there are much fewer people who would want all of the 1.5 - Super Hyper Meta, so having 2 of each of them is probably way too much, so I would love to see the 1.5 Shift, Caps, Backspace replace them.

Best Case Scenario: only have to buy Alphas, Ergodox, 100%, and Planets which puts the cost at around $110 with enough sets bought

I'd also love to see a grey F Row.

Unrelated to the different keys, the {[ keys pictured in the ergodox set are currently the same key but rotated, where one of them should be the horizontal flip of the other. (I fixed this in my ergodox mockup)

Really looking forward to this set's release, and sorry for the wall of text.
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 November 2014, 11:17:09 by skipped »

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #268 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 12:21:20 »

+1
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline DatLag

« Reply #269 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 19:03:08 »
Can't wait to get these!! Planning on getting an ergodox next year so these will look great with them!! Probably gonna be interchanging them with my Poker 2 and granite R2 set when it finally arrives

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #270 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 20:13:07 »
Really interested in this set for my ergodox that should be coming in soon. I tried mocking up what it would look like using the sets available (in paint, please don't jugde), and the result was a little rough.

Show Image

I used the Alphas, Ergodox, Planets, and 100% kits to make this (which already has the price pushing $110) and there are some keys that I feel are still needed.

More
Missing Keys:
1.5 Blue - Shift
1 Blue - Ctrl/Alt/Win (or Super/Hyper/Meta)...honestly I'll probably end up using the astronaut helmet or galaxies for the planet pack to cover these
1.5 Blue - |\
1.5 Blue - CapsLock
1.5 Blue - Backspace

The adapter kit covers all of these except the 1.5 Blue - |\ and the 1.5 Blue - Shift, but currently the adapter kit is purple so they wouldn't really fit with the ergodox' blue. In the Granite ergodox kit, matt3o included two 1.5 shift keys and I think the ergodox set would be right right place to put them. Currently, I believe the only kit that has the 1.5 Blue - |\ key is the Base Mods, so I think this should be added to the ergodox kit too. From the ergodox layouts I've seen, I think there are much fewer people who would want all of the 1.5 - Super Hyper Meta, so having 2 of each of them is probably way too much, so I would love to see the 1.5 Shift, Caps, Backspace replace them.

Best Case Scenario: only have to buy Alphas, Ergodox, 100%, and Planets which puts the cost at around $110 with enough sets bought

Unrelated to the different keys, the {[ keys pictured in the ergodox set are currently the same key but rotated, where one of them should be the horizontal flip of the other. (I fixed this in my ergodox mockup)

Judge? Yea right! Thank you so much for taking the time to lay this out for me! I've been struggling with Ergodox - it seems like every example on the internet uses a different layout.

Great suggestion swapping for the Caps, backspace, shift keys.. I did this, as well as changed the "?/" to "|\" and only had to add 1 key (alt). Check it out and let me know if this covers it. Any other Ergodox users, please chime if you see any errors.

And I will probably add a core colorway f row kit as a child pack. 

« Last Edit: Tue, 04 November 2014, 20:20:39 by Booper »

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #271 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 20:19:43 »
Hey OP, sorry if it has been brought up but have you gained approval for all the new legend designs in your planetary pack? Plus, all new legends carry with them a hefty $45 fee per new legend which will cause this GB to have an astronomical MOQ. Just letting you know.

The hardest part is tweaking the legends to make them Doubleshootable (it should be a word:rolleyes:). One is hard enough to clear, but having everyone of you legends make the grade, that may take a while.

Not trying to burst your bubble, but I have two failed GB's under my belt and I blame start up fees and low MOQ's.
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline skipped

« Reply #272 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 20:25:53 »

Judge? Yea right! Thank you so much for taking the time to lay this out for me! I've been struggling with Ergodox - it seems like every example on the internet uses a different layout.

Great suggestion swapping for the Caps, backspace, shift keys.. I did this, as well as changed the "?/" to "|\" and only had to add 1 key (alt). Check it out and let me know if this covers it. Any other Ergodox users, please chime if you see any errors.

Show Image

This is great, thanks so much. And I totally agree with you, ergodox keys are so often hard to do because of the variability of people's layouts, but I think the new one should do much better.

Also looking forward to the grey f stripe!

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #273 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 20:27:11 »
Hey OP, sorry if it has been brought up but have you gained approval for all the new legend designs in your planetary pack? Plus, all new legends carry with them a hefty $45 fee per new legend which will cause this GB to have an astronomical MOQ. Just letting you know.

The hardest part is tweaking the legends to make them Doubleshootable (it should be a word:rolleyes:). One is hard enough to clear, but having everyone of you legends make the grade, that may take a while.

Not trying to burst your bubble, but I have two failed GB's under my belt and I blame start up fees and low MOQ's.

Nah, I underdstand the concern!

But yea! These have all been approved. I have created .svg files per SP directions and I sent them to Melissa for approval and they are now good to go! If you look in the old original posts, you can see that some of the novelties have evolved over time. That was because of the back and forth with Signature Plastics about CNC/doubleshot compatibility. All the current novelties check out!

Also, yes the legend costs have been considered. The prices you see do include the new legends! They are already rolled into the core set. I plan to set the MOQ at 50 on the core kit which knocks the customs to about $.90 per.
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 November 2014, 20:30:32 by Booper »

Offline skipped

« Reply #274 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 20:35:37 »
Is the plan to run Super Hyper Meta or Ctrl Alt Win? Some sets seem to include one while others include the other

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #275 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 20:39:41 »
I'm planning on Hyper, Super, Meta. I think most of the current renderings are updated with the exception of the images on the PMK site. I have not updated that post.

I will run "ctrl, alt win" keys with the 100% kit OR as a separate traditional kit.

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #276 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 20:39:49 »

Nah, I underdstand the concern!

But yea! These have all been approved. I have created .svg files per SP directions and I sent them to Melissa for approval and they are now good to go! If you look in the old original posts, you can see that some of the novelties have evolved over time. That was because of the back and forth with Signature Plastics about CNC/doubleshot compatibility. All the current novelties check out!

Also, yes the legend costs have been considered. The prices you see do include the new legends! They are already rolled into the core set. I plan to set the MOQ at 50 on the core kit which knocks the customs to about $.90 per.

Well done! Too much of a hassle for me, but it looks like you bugged Melissa worse than I did.
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #277 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 20:43:31 »
I'm planning on Hyper, Super, Meta. I think most of the current renderings are updated with the exception of the images on the PMK site. I have not updated that post.

I will run "ctrl, alt win" keys with the 100% kit OR as a separate traditional kit.

My vote goes to a separate kit that has ctrl alt win keys for the planck and JD40 as well.

Planck w/ Zealios

Offline skipped

« Reply #278 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 20:55:28 »

Ah, yes I was seeing the pictures on PMK. I think if the goal is to stick to super hyper meta then maybe make the alt key in the ergodox set a Hyper Meta instead.
« Last Edit: Tue, 04 November 2014, 21:57:05 by skipped »

Offline tyvar1

• Otto is a Rhino!
    • Reddit
« Reply #279 on: Tue, 04 November 2014, 23:11:38 »

My vote goes to a separate kit that has ctrl alt win keys for the planck and JD40 as well.
Yeah same here! :)

Offline fejus

« Reply #280 on: Wed, 05 November 2014, 09:28:13 »
I love this set and plan on buying one!

Offline nya

« Reply #281 on: Thu, 06 November 2014, 16:09:03 »
 :thumb:

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #282 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 16:25:08 »
update!

The interest check expires on 11/11 and according to SP, this set can be available as a Group Buy towards the end of next week!

Offline tribade

« Reply #283 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 17:56:06 »
update!

The interest check expires on 11/11 and according to SP, this set can be available as a Group Buy towards the end of next week!

Exciting! it's a great looking set.
KMAC mini w/ blacks | Realforce 87uw 55g w/ Digil0g case | KMAC w/ blacks | Duck Viper w/ clears

"Te occidere possunt sed te edere non possunt nefas est."

Offline tyvar1

• Otto is a Rhino!
    • Reddit
« Reply #284 on: Sun, 09 November 2014, 02:18:57 »
update!

Great news! :D

Offline meow a cat

• Resistance is futile.
« Reply #285 on: Sun, 09 November 2014, 14:18:00 »
update!

Awesome! Time to set aside some cash for this.

Thanks for all your hard work making this happen! I hope this GB does really well.  ;D

Boards:
Silver 84-key KMAC LE, 62g lubed & stickered ergo-clears, GON NerD PCB, polycarbonate plate,MX lock/Phosphorglow IBM Model M SSK 1391472/White HHKB Pro 2, Hasu controller/WKL Phantom, 50g vintage blacks, MX lock
Leeku G80-1800 (build in progress)

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #286 on: Sun, 09 November 2014, 14:54:31 »
update!

Thanks for all your hard work making this happen! I hope this GB does really well.  ;D

Thanks! I hope so too! I'm so nervous/excited!

Offline tyvar1

• Otto is a Rhino!
    • Reddit
« Reply #287 on: Sun, 09 November 2014, 15:00:02 »
update!

Thanks! I hope so too! I'm so nervous/excited!
This is going to be big! :D

Offline kebby

« Reply #288 on: Sun, 09 November 2014, 15:07:31 »
Feel like I'm already getting way too much in terms of keyboards and keycaps but it's impossible to skip something as awesome as this. :)

Offline nya

« Reply #289 on: Sun, 09 November 2014, 21:49:57 »
Are the blank pieces no longer being offered in the set?
I don't see them on the PMK Interest Check page.

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #290 on: Sun, 09 November 2014, 21:57:32 »

Yup! I'm offering blanks in every size and all 3 colors. The IC page on PMK hasn't really been updated as it will become just the Core Kit - Alphas page when it transfers to a group Buy.

here is a list of all the kits I've submitted -
More
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 November 2014, 21:59:48 by Booper »

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #291 on: Sun, 09 November 2014, 22:04:14 »
You misspelled 'win' in the polaris win kit. I don't know if that matters, but w/e.
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline Booper

• * Destiny Supporter
    • omniclectic.com
« Reply #292 on: Sun, 09 November 2014, 22:23:20 »
You misspelled 'win' in the polaris win kit. I don't know if that matters, but w/e.
haha, I noticed that when I posted the list! It's editable :)

Offline nya

« Reply #293 on: Sun, 09 November 2014, 23:03:17 »

Yup! I'm offering blanks in every size and all 3 colors. The IC page on PMK hasn't really been updated as it will become just the Core Kit - Alphas page when it transfers to a group Buy.

here is a list of all the kits I've submitted -
More
Show Image

Awesome! You rock!!

Offline delete_this

« Reply #294 on: Fri, 14 November 2014, 07:06:12 »
This is totally awesome! Thanks for designing this!

I'm not sure how popular this would be, but would you consider a POS kit? The biggest issue with POS keyboards is that the Return, Backspace,  and Caps Lock keys are 2u with only two stems (spaced to go over two mx switches). The space bar is also only 4u (please see here for an example), but I know SP has made them before.

If this isn't possible, what about just a blank 2u key option with 2 stems?

Thanks! Keep it up!

Offline abandoner

« Reply #295 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 12:21:40 »
Its up on PMK now!  :eek:
http://www.pimpmykeyboard.com/deals/deep-space/

RIP wallet

EDIT: Looks like a lot of the prices aren't set. A lot of items are set to $0 including the core set.
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 November 2014, 12:36:08 by abandoner »

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #296 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 12:39:31 »
My wallet is going to be sad.
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline worldspawn

« Reply #297 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 12:53:03 »

Show Image

More
Missing Keys:
1.5 Blue - Shift
1.5 Blue - |\
1.5 Blue - CapsLock
1.5 Blue - Backspace

Show Image

damn, I'm sad to see the 1.5 ?/ key go away, there's already a \| 1.5 in the core set, I use the 1.5 ?/ key as my bottom right :(
I can make acrylic laser cut cases/plates PM for info

Offline Skuloth

« Reply #298 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 12:55:31 »
Why do over half the kits show up as $0?
Planck w/ Zealios

Offline SlotH42

• one slow step for sloth
« Reply #299 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 13:49:11 »
Why do over half the kits show up as $0?
all of them are $0 for me???
MP-GBL4 (red) Poker II (clears) Realforce R2TL 55g