Author Topic: Micro USB question  (Read 1727 times)

Offline yomammary

Micro USB question
« on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 09:26:12 »
When I bought my WASD v2 I didn't look into this but the keyboard comes with a micro USB plug and cable.
I'm wondering if anyone here has opened the keyboard up to put in a permanent USB cable in there, if so is it hard? My soldering skills are minimal but I know how to use one.

This is just in case I have a problem with the micro USB plug.
RF 87u 55g | Leeku 1800

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
Re: Micro USB question
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 10:47:57 »
I haven't opened up the V2 (only the V1) but there is usually a connector on the PCB that you can use for a fixed cable.

Then you cut out the old micro USB port and run the cable out through there.

Offline qihqi

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 11:45:25 »
Or you can open the keyboard, plug the microusb, close the board with the plug inside of the keyboard. Then from outside it looks likes one cable coming out of the keyboard.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 12:00:02 »
Or you can open the keyboard, plug the microusb, close the board with the plug inside of the keyboard. Then from outside it looks likes one cable coming out of the keyboard.

If I read that right, it's a great idea!

It would work on the novatouch for sure. If you post a picture of the underside after opening it I can give some more insight.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 17:58:34 »
Unfortunately all Micro USB sockets are surface-mounted, with the lines pretty close together so it would be a bit fiddly to replace the socket with a fixed cable in its place. It would probably be easier to route the small cables inside the main cable to different solder places on the PCB.

I don't have any WASD v2, but I have seen in pictures that it has some cable channels on the underside. If you route the cable so that it does not come out the back in the centre but there are two bends in the cable, then I think that you wouldn't have to worry so much about it popping out by mistake.
🍉

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 21:22:54 »
Here's a picture of the micro0USB jack on teh novatouch:

So if the WASD V2 is like that it would be pretty easy to replace with a straight cable. Just plug the micro USB into the jack, and don't screw it down into place, instead just push it back and let the cable come out of the case.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 14 October 2014, 22:08:34 »
Here's a picture of the micro0USB jack on teh novatouch:
Show Image

So if the WASD V2 is like that it would be pretty easy to replace with a straight cable. Just plug the micro USB into the jack, and don't screw it down into place, instead just push it back and let the cable come out of the case.

That looks extremely sturdy!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 05:01:13 »
I'd just use the MicroUSB socket as it was designed. They're more sturdy and longer lasting than the MiniUSB sockets used in most keyboards.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline yomammary

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 07:30:30 »
I'd just use the MicroUSB socket as it was designed. They're more sturdy and longer lasting than the MiniUSB sockets used in most keyboards.
Yeah everybody seems to have a different opinion on this issue.
If I ever have problems I'll post what I did.
RF 87u 55g | Leeku 1800

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 14:07:21 »
Micro USB has the advantage over Mini USB that the lugs that hold it are in the plug and not in the socket, so when the lugs break you only need to replace a cheap cable.

However, because micro USB sockets are only surface-mounted (when not at the end of a cable like on the Novatouch) there is only solder that holds the socket to the PCB's copper lines and then glue that holds the PCB's copper lines to the PCB substrate. Mini USB sockets are often soldered with pieces of the socket going though holes in the PCB.
That means that when a micro USB socket gets nudged or twisted, it breaks more easily than Mini USB, and when that happens, the PCB also gets damaged.
🍉