Author Topic: Blackwidow Tournament - noob question  (Read 1392 times)

Offline Tavernas

Blackwidow Tournament - noob question
« on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 09:27:15 »
Hi guys,
wonderful forum!

I am really new to keyboard modding and I have a question.
I own a Razer Blackwidow Tournament edition keyboard. I've been browsing through wasd keyboards and I was wondering if the 87 key cap set they offer will fit my keyboard. will it ?

Thanks a lot

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 09:29:51 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 September 2015, 11:20:25 by esoomenona »

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
Re: Blackwidow Tournament - noob question
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 09:30:27 »
Other than me telling you to throw out your keyboard and get a new one, to my knowledge it will not fit.
Although the key sizes for most of the keys line up,  the bottom row on the black widow is very nonstandard and only a few keys would fit there. 
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Tavernas

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 09:34:33 »
No, it wouldn't. Everything else would fit perfectly fine, except for the bottom row. Your spacebar and the 7 keys surrounding it are all of different sizes than that set.

thanks mate

What if choose to have the os keys and the menu key as R1 1x1?

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 09:58:04 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 September 2015, 11:19:36 by esoomenona »

Offline Tavernas

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 10:04:21 »
Those would fit. The problems you have are these:

1. Spacebar - typically 6.25x, the one on your keyboard is 6x, so a tad smaller.
2. Ctrl and Alt - typically 1.25x, the ones on your keyboard are 1.5x, so a tad larger.

These keys are replaceable by all means, just not easy to get a complete set that fits them right out of the box.

thanks again!!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 19:56:34 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

if you're keen to replace the keycaps, would you consider a new keyboard too?  Getting one with a more standard layout would open up so many morepossibilities.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ