Author Topic: Help me identify this old Panasonic  (Read 6657 times)

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
Help me identify this old Panasonic
« on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 14:50:06 »
Bought a keyboard lot from goodwill and got a nice Samsung with Blue alps along with two other membrane/hammer boards.

The fourth keyboard, however, has no identification on it. The switches appear to be some kind of buckling spring. It looks like a spacesaver of some kind as well. It also has a very odd connector that I've never personally seen. Pictures below:

More

« Last Edit: Wed, 15 October 2014, 15:05:13 by Blaise170 »
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Help me identify this old Panasonic
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 14:52:25 »
Hm, I've been very wrong about things all day....or usually. But I think that's what they called a buckling sleeve rubber dome.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 14:58:28 »
Use this for image hiding

Code: [Select]
[more]  [/more]
More
  :thumb:

Offline Computer-Lab in Basement

• The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 15:02:45 »
Hm, I've been very wrong about things all day....or usually. But I think that's what they called a buckling sleeve rubber dome.

There is a spring depicted in the keycap of the first image, and there is no discernible "buckling sleeve" that I can see in image 2.

Having a bad day, CPT?

EDIT: nvm, you might be right... can't say for sure with those pics though...
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 October 2014, 15:04:42 by Computer-Lab in Basement »
tp thread is tp thread
Sometimes it's like he accidentally makes a thread instead of a google search.

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 15:10:13 »
Having a bad day, CPT?

I've been wrong more than usual today. Lack of reading comprehension and busy at work :(.

Anyways, hopefully someone else has a better idea than myself :).

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 15:12:18 »
Interesting. Took a better picture of the switch, hopefully it's clearer in this photo.

More

I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 15:17:43 »
Interesting. Took a better picture of the switch, hopefully it's clearer in this photo.

More
Show Image

Whoa, nice pic...

Yeah, def not a buckling sleeve. Looks to be some sort of spring-over-metal-contact type of thing... never seen it before.

I agree with the CPT... maybe someone else will know more about it.
tp thread is tp thread

IBM Model M SSK | IBM Model F XT | IBM Model F 122 | IBM Model M 122 | Ducky YOTD 2012 w/ blue switches | Poker II w/ Blue switches | Royal Kludge RK61 w/ Blue switches

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 15:19:09 »
you can see the membrane there. It could be buckling rubber sleeves, but I think it's a normal rubber dome sheet or a spring over membrane. Do you have a shot of the underside of a keycap?

edit: ninja'd by CLiB!

More
Show Image

Whoa, nice pic...

Yeah, def not a buckling sleeve. Looks to be some sort of spring-over-metal-contact type of thing... never seen it before.

That's why I want to see the underside of a keycap. I suspect it's a spring over membrane, but I can't say for sure without seeing the spring.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 15:23:36 »
you can see the membrane there. It could be buckling rubber sleeves, but I think it's a normal rubber dome sheet or a spring over membrane. Do you have a shot of the underside of a keycap?

More
Show Image

Whoa, nice pic...

That's why I want to see the underside of a keycap. I suspect it's a spring over membrane, but I can't say for sure without seeing the spring.

Spring under key cap in first post.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 15:25:37 »
More pictures of the keycap:

More

• * Elevated Elder
  • Live long and prosper
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 15:28:12 »
The more I look at it the more I agree with dorkvader...

OP, what does it feel like to type on? My guess is that it's linear?
tp thread is tp thread

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 15:31:59 »
Yes, it feels like a stiffer version of the Unicomp Model M I tried (don't remember if the Model M was tactile or not, so sorry if that's a bad comparison). There's no bump at all though.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 16:04:27 »
I'm more interested in what it's from than the switch.  What keyboard would have "Rotate Disc" on it?

Panasonic seemed to have some interesting keyboard, things having to do with MIDI, etc but I cannot track this one down.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 16:13:31 »
I'm more interested in what it's from than the switch.  What keyboard would have "Rotate Disc" on it?

Panasonic seemed to have some interesting keyboard, things having to do with MIDI, etc but I cannot track this one down.

Sorry for bad picture quality, that's actually "Rotate Disp".

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 21:49:04 »

More
Show Image

Whoa, nice pic...

That's my thought. It looks a lot like some of those old typewriters that had spring over membrane.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 15 October 2014, 22:28:12 »
Went ahead and took it apart. A quick google of the part numbers returned ZERO results. What? Anyways, here are some pictures.

More

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 02:45:03 »
Ahhhh!

THAT explains the SMK version of the Apple Keyboard II.

I've never been able to figure out how it could have only one spring (the coil spring in the keycap).

The membranes are closed by the leaf spring under pressure from the helical spring.

The SMK design has sliders and looks different, but SMK could potentially be the OEM. The "M" on the serial might be for Mat****a (i.e. Panasonic), and since the controller chip is also Panasonic branded, maybe they made it in house.
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 03:13:44 »
THAT explains the SMK version of the Apple Keyboard II. I've never been able to figure out how it could have only one spring (the coil spring in the keycap).

The membranes are closed by the leaf spring under pressure from the helical spring. The SMK design has sliders and looks different, but SMK could potentially be the OEM.
I think there are several other spring over membrane designs from other companies, no? This one doesn’t look especially similar to the SMK one..?

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 10:43:52 »
Ahhhh!

I've never been able to figure out how it could have only one spring (the coil spring in the keycap).

The membranes are closed by the leaf spring under pressure from the helical spring.

The SMK design has sliders and looks different, but SMK could potentially be the OEM. The "M" on the serial might be for Mat****a (i.e. Panasonic), and since the controller chip is also Panasonic branded, maybe they made it in house.

Is this keyboard particularly interesting, or is it just pretty much worthless?

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 10:52:08 »
Is this keyboard particularly interesting, or is it just pretty much worthless?

Why not both?
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #20 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 11:05:20 »
Ahhhh!

In English it's usually spelled "Matsu****a". Dad used to work at their kenmore vacuum cleaner plant in Kentucky. Like Kenmore, Panasonic was a brand owned by the Matsu****a company. They have since changed their name to that brand though.

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 16 October 2014, 13:19:16 »
Dorkvader: I've seen both spellings and was never actually sure whether or not they were the same company.

jacobolus:
This is what I was thinking:

http://www.applerescueofdenver.com/products-page/all-products-macintosh/apple-keyboard-ii-parts/

Now, the Apple Keyboard II has sliders, but look at Alps: they couldn't help themselves — they churned out every possible variation of everything, including two different slider designs as well as domes without sliders. Even the Alps integrated dome (with umpteen variations) was redesigned as an even cheaper switch, the semi-integrated dome (switch family SKEY it appears — current SKEY switches are all much lower travel, but otherwise look the same).

Now, I grant you the Keyboard II is not the only keyboard I've seen with this design, i.e. a single spring inside the keycap. I've seen at least one other before this Panasonic one. This is however the first time I've had access to a clear enough photograph to see how the design works. I couldn't work out what would stop the spring closing the membrane contacts immediately. There are multiple approaches to this; Alps and Oriental Tech for example used two coil springs, one for return, and one to press on the membrane. This design instead uses a leaf spring to press on the membrane, rather like Cherry MY in fact.

Blaise170: Personally I think it's worth taking clean, uncluttered, well-lit shots of it and documenting it on the wiki. It will be the first "official" documentation of this kind of switch, and while the technology is cheap and nasty, it's nice to have a formal record of all the different approaches that people took over the decades. To my mind, yes the keyboard is interesting.

Also, with my Oriental Tech at least, it's not linear; rather, it's progressive rate, as the second spring comes into contact with the membrane and gives you a rise in force from that point on. I thought it was linear until I got my MX Red keyboard and realised just how different it feels compared to actual linear. Both are low force switches, but the Oriental Tech is quite different. I assume that the same will be the case for a lot of dual-spring/spring+pad switches such as "linear" foam and foil.

Now we just need to know why Peerless switches click!
Bore Awards

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 06:40:05 »
Ahhhh!

The SMK design has sliders and looks different, but SMK could potentially be the OEM.

Haata has some nice pictures of his amstrad here:
https://plus.google.com/photos/113845661925823397356/albums/5680633098688052449
It has a similar spring over membrane mechanism. Either the membranes are not closed by the spring (but by the keycap) or at bottom out the spring folds over a little

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 10:51:47 »
Yep. The Amstrad CPC has the same kind of switch. Similar switches are very common in electronic typewriters also. For instance, most Triumph-Adler typewriters that don't have some kind of switch from Cherry (most often not MX) have a similar switch.
🍉

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 15:17:08 »
Ah, so it's not even a leaf spring, it's just bendy plastic … Ouch.

Edit: HaaTa's appears to be the same OEM, actually, as the differences between the two designs are marginal.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 October 2014, 15:18:56 by Daniel Beardsmore »
Bore Awards

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 15:34:36 »
The Model M is also basically just bendy plastic, to be fair.

Offline dorkvader

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 15:35:01 »

Edit: HaaTa's appears to be the same OEM, actually, as the differences between the two designs are marginal.

That's why I posted it. I remember seeing it somewhere and I was digging through his albums for another keyboard so when I saw it, I posted.

EH? I don't think any plastic piece on the model M bends in normal operation.
edit: I see, yes the plastic membrane does bend.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 October 2014, 17:03:54 by dorkvader »

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #27 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 15:57:12 »

Right, the only thing that bends is the spring.

Maybe it would be easier to remember if that was somehow incorporated into the name of the switch.... :)

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 16:02:58 »
I thought he was talking about the membrane sheet (which is the part that corresponds to a leaf spring in switches with leaf springs for the contact). Nevermind though.

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #29 on: Fri, 17 October 2014, 16:18:27 »
It's still funny though that the Model M is membrane, and Realforce keyboards are rubber dome : )
Bore Awards

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 17 May 2015, 14:54:57 »
Hey guys, this is an old topic now but I was doing some research today and have come across something interesting. The Panasonic FS-A1GT from 1986 has a very similar keyboard (function keys, enter key, etc.) so I believe this keyboard may be as old as the 1980s.

The FS is a MIDI station so I think that the suggestion of it being a MIDI may be accurate. I'm going to keep digging through Google to see what I can find.