Author Topic: Custom 60% case  (Read 3752 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Custom 60% case
« on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 19:38:07 »
So a while back I came up with an idea for a 60% case I wanted to see done...well two, but one that is actively being worked on.

It was an Art Deco inspired case, kind of like some of the designs you would see in Bioshock.  This was the original drawing:

Since I'm CAD retarded and wouldn't know how to start on any of the open source platforms, I enlisted Photekq's help.  While it's been slow due to applying for university, the results have been awesome.  He's almost done with the design and I will be thanking him profusely and in the best ways I can for being integral in making my vision come true.  The design should be done in the near future, but this is the work he's done so far and I'm absolutely loving it.  As such, I had to ask if he minded me showing off the work he's done so far.

Without further ado, here's what he's done so far in making my vision a reality:

Offline HPE1000

• Keycap Paparazzo
Re: Custom 60% case
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 19:39:55 »
I really like it  :thumb:

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 20:02:27 »
Nice!  It reminds me of the Pan Pacific Theater.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 20:04:13 »
Looks expensive to machine... but really nice
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 20:17:30 »
Nice!  It reminds me of the Pan Pacific Theater.

TIL about Streamline Modern architecture.  I was thinking it was between art deco and modern, but that really is a better definition of the style it falls under.  It's almost like some of the old sci fi that I loved as a kid (who am I kidding, I still love it).

Looks expensive to machine... but really nice

If my cousin can do it it won't be so bad.  I just have to see when they have time on the machines and make sure the machines they have can do it. If they have some decent aluminum lying around, it will be even cheaper, otherwise I'll have to buy some from IMS and ship it to him.

Thanks, I really like the design.  Then again, I drew it up, so I would hope I do.  There's a simpler design with inlays I want to see if it's possible to do.  It will likely be stupid expensive, but will look fancy as hell.
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 October 2014, 20:21:37 by nubbinator »

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 21:02:06 »
Oh wow, I love art deco! Have you played the game "transistor" ? I haven't given bioshock a try yet, but I hear it's good. System shock was too scary for me, so I've been holding off.

Anyway, I love the case, it's sort-of like the lightsaver cases with the cutout in the side, but I really like the art deco accents. I just need some copper to put in there.

I also like the hole on the bottom. Without it, most flatbottomed cases without feet get the "vacuum" effect from air friction and "suck" to the desk making them hard to pick up.

Some issues: since it will need machining on all sides, I predict is will be really expensive to produce. Remember the prices for the skeldon? Still, we'll see.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 21:25:53 »
I haven't tried transistor.  I haven't even heard of it.

I didn't even think about the Lightsaver until after I made it.  Then I uttered a silent ****, but liked the design too much to not try and do it.  And that would be awesome to see if some copper could be milled and fitted into the case like that.  It would be expensive to do though.

The bottom cutout is the part I felt the most passionate about.  I know it makes it harder to mill, but it just changes the feel of the case so much.

The only reason I'm attempting this design is because my cousin told me he could mill stuff for cheap or free for me in the down time for the machine.  If he can do this, I'll be beyond stoked.  Otherwise I'll have to see how much it will cost locally and bite the bullet on an expensive one off.

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 21:33:33 »
I would buy one. *"group buy" chant starts

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 19 October 2014, 22:06:31 »
I haven't tried transistor.  I haven't even heard of it.

I didn't even think about the Lightsaver until after I made it.  Then I uttered a silent ****, but liked the design too much to not try and do it.  And that would be awesome to see if some copper could be milled and fitted into the case like that.  It would be expensive to do though.

The bottom cutout is the part I felt the most passionate about.  I know it makes it harder to mill, but it just changes the feel of the case so much.

The only reason I'm attempting this design is because my cousin told me he could mill stuff for cheap or free for me in the down time for the machine.  If he can do this, I'll be beyond stoked.  Otherwise I'll have to see how much it will cost locally and bite the bullet on an expensive one off.
If your cousin wanted to make a second one....

If not, you'd better take really good photos of yours!

anyway, lots of keyboards have that cutout on the sides, though they vary. The KMAC 2 is a lot smaller. The 360 corsa is different shaped. Lightsaver/orion/viper/eagle/octagon(?) are deeper for lighting, AT&T KB305B run to the edge of the case, etc.

copper or brass inlay would be awesome, but I think just polishing through the anodization in the channels would also look great. It'd take a lot of effort though. Maybe they can cut the channels after anodyzation and not mess up the rest of the finish. I dunno.
« Last Edit: Sun, 19 October 2014, 22:10:26 by dorkvader »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 01:40:05 »
Some updates from Photeqk. Soon it will be ready for me to try and get it milled.

Issues with USB hole resolved and now looking good:

And since I wanted Photeqk to have some credit on the case for all the design work he did, TEK on the bottom:

It should be ready to try and make soon.  All of this is making me realize how much I need to learn some CAD software, but I have no clue where to start and what's a good and easy one to pick up.

copper or brass inlay would be awesome, but I think just polishing through the anodization in the channels would also look great. It'd take a lot of effort though. Maybe they can cut the channels after anodyzation and not mess up the rest of the finish. I dunno.

Just noticed the edit.  The sanding down the channels was something I originally had planned...but in a different way, if you couldn't tell by the pics.  I was thinking a sand then bead blast of them after the first anodization and then doing a clear or grey hard anodization.  It would be a lot of work, expensive, and have the potential for mistakes though.  The inserts is something that is more feasible.

Since you brought it up, it's something I wanted to try with a second case:

I was thinking the wood would either be held in with post screws, make the case thicker and drill and tap the walls and screw the wood into place, or have brass inserts and epoxy similar to what you have with knife and tool handles.  It's one where I'm still trying to figure out the optimal way to do it, especially if I did a more modular setup where you could swap in and out different wood panels to better go with different cap sets.  And, of course, the wood inserts would have to be laser cut. 

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 19 November 2014, 01:45:45 »
All of this is making me realize how much I need to learn some CAD software, but I have no clue where to start and what's a good and easy one to pick up.

Start playing around with TinkerCad man, it's online and free and once you've got the hang of things there you can move to a full fledged CAD program. It's what I did at first and I found it much easier than just jumping straight into a complicated CAD program.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 21 November 2014, 21:35:02 »
Oh, TinkerCAD is awesome. Nice and intuitive (unlike most the free CAD software I've used), but sadly limited in what it can do.  I did create a less awesome Deckerson in it just to mess around and sent it off to Shapeways to see what can be done.  I'm trying to mash up some of the stuff I've made in Sculptify (which is kick ass), but the Sculptify file sizes are too big...both for TinkerCAD and Shapeways.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 21 November 2014, 22:49:22 »
This case is awesome.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Gujustud

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 22:00:57 »
Did you ever end up machining this?

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 06 October 2015, 23:49:53 »
Not yet.

Offline retrochick

• goodbye my wallet
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 07 October 2015, 04:06:39 »
this is very exciting indeed. I'll have to watch this thread to see what progress you've made. awesome!

Cherry is love. Topre is life. ~raymogi

Offline njbair

• I love the Powerglove. It's so bad.
    • nickbair.net
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 13:03:25 »
This is cool. I don't know how you would achieve the sharp angles on the ends of the grooves, but it would look cool if you could.

Alpine Winter GB | My Personal TMK Firmware Repo
IBM Rubber Band "Floss" Mod | Click Modding Alps 101 | Flame-Polishing Cherry MX Stems
Review: hasu's USB to USB converter
My boards:
More
AEKII 60% | Alps64 HHKB | Ducky Shine 3, MX Blues | IBM Model M #1391401, Nov. 1990 | IBM SSK #1391472, Nov. 1987, screw modded, rubber-band modded | Noppoo EC108-Pro, 45g | Infinity 60% v2 Hacker, Matias Quiet Pros | Infinity 60% v2 Standard, MX Browns | Cherry G80-1800LPCEU-2, MX Blacks | Cherry G80-1813 (Dolch), MX Blues | Unicomp M-122, ANSI-modded | Unicomp M-122 (Unsaver mod in progress) | 2x Unitek K-258, White Alps | Apple boards (IIGS, AEKII) | Varmilo VA87MR, Gateron Blacks | Filco Zero TKL, Fukka White Alps | Planck, Gateron Browns | Monarch, click-modded Cream Alps

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 10 October 2015, 13:04:38 »
Make it acrylic and I may be in for one.