Author Topic: Need a new keyboard, Clear switches?  (Read 1563 times)

Offline arte

Need a new keyboard, Clear switches?
« on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 08:21:43 »
Hello everyone, I have had a Cherry G80-3000 with clear switches for the past 4-5 years I think but I broke it today (and my fist together with it I think, really sturdy keyboard.)
Now I loved it very much but it was very big and hard to carry around to LANs and tournaments, I'm looking for a replacement, possibly tenkeyless, preferably cheap and with switches similar to the ones I had
Can someone suggest me anything? Back then when I bought my keyboard the only "mainstream gaming" brand with mechanical switches was Steelseries I think but now there are quite a lot of them and I don't know where to look at.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
Re: Need a new keyboard, Clear switches?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 08:31:04 »
Off the top of my head the KBDParadise V 60 and V80 come to mind. Both solid keyboards. There is also the CODE, which is fine if you don't mind mega ping

Edit: oh yeah and KUL, probably the best keyboard in that price range
« Last Edit: Tue, 21 October 2014, 10:29:58 by hwood34 »
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline jameslr

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 08:32:11 »
It depends on what you mean by "cheap". About the cheapest TKL board in MX Clear you're going to get is a KUL ES-87 for $130 USD.
CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR

Offline arte

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 08:37:32 »
Forgot to add that I'm italian so I need an european layout, either DE or IT or whatever has the small left shift and the >< key before Z.
I have been looking around and I have seen both mechanical Cooler Masters and Corsair keyboards in a webshop near my home. How are those as far as build quality goes? Any particular gaming brand I should be looking at that makes quality keyboards?

Offline jameslr

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 08:40:46 »
Forgot to add that I'm italian so I need an european layout, either DE or IT or whatever has the small left shift and the >< key before Z.
I have been looking around and I have seen both mechanical Cooler Masters and Corsair keyboards in a webshop near my home. How are those as far as build quality goes? Any particular gaming brand I should be looking at that makes quality keyboards?

Coolermaster makes solid keyboards. They're built by costar in Taiwan (same mfg as Filco). You won't be able to find a Coolermaster or a Corsair with MX clear, but MX brown might be fine if you don't mind lighter switches.
CM Novatouch | Filco MJ2 TKL w/ HID Lib | REΛLFORCE 87U 55g | CM QFR

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 09:44:27 »
I'm afraid there aren't any ISO layout TKL boards with Clears that I know of. The KUL ES-87 is a great board and the PCB has support for ISO layout, but I have yet to see one offered in ISO. WASD Code is another good board that comes with Clears, but again, no ISO layout.

I have used UK ISO layout, Finnish ISO layout and US ANSI layout and in fact switch between them quite a lot and I like US ANSI most. It's pretty easy to get used to, so I don't think it should be such a big issue if the board you want doesn't come in ISO. It's also much easier to find good keycaps in ANSI layout.

Another thing to keep in mind is that a plate mounted TKL board will feel very different to your old Cherry G80. The G80-3000 is very.... flexible and soft feeling. Plate mounted boards are "tighter" and more precise. The KUL ES-87 or WASD Code will feel like a weapon compared to the G80.

If you're good at soldering, you could get any TKL board that you like (CMStorm QuickFire Rapid for instance) and replace the switches with Clears: http://mechanicalkeyboards.com/shop/index.php?l=product_detail&p=597

With some boards you may have to cut the little plastic protrusions off the bottom of the switches to mount them. The ones I linked to are PCB mount, they seem to be out of stock of the plate mount Clears which don't have those bumps.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 09:51:12 »
Only out of the box option for ISO Mx Clear is WASD V2 keyboard but it's expensive for europeans .
Desoldering is probably the cheapeast options if you have the tools to do it .
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline SpecTP

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 10:08:19 »
the KUL87 is a solid keyboard and can be had with MX clears.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 10:12:57 »
the KUL87 is a solid keyboard and can be had with MX clears.
He wants ISO
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline arte

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 13:12:01 »
Thank you all for your answers, I think I will either go for another G80-3000 with clears that has grown to 55€ now compared to the 35 I paid back then or a CM storm Quickfire TKL with either Blue or Black switches.

And since I made a thread already do you people think someone might be interested in buying my broken keyboard? The switches are all fine, I smacked it with an open palm in the center and now around 1/3rd of the keys don't register but I think it's the PCB that is broken at this point as the switches function very well.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 13:28:37 »
Yup, I'd be interested :D

I'll send a PM..
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 13:36:28 »
Thank you all for your answers, I think I will either go for another G80-3000 with clears that has grown to 55€ now compared to the 35 I paid back then or a CM storm Quickfire TKL with either Blue or Black switches.

And since I made a thread already do you people think someone might be interested in buying my broken keyboard? The switches are all fine, I smacked it with an open palm in the center and now around 1/3rd of the keys don't register but I think it's the PCB that is broken at this point as the switches function very well.

Can I get like ~5 clear switches from them ? it is pcb mounted right ? if not then it's okayyy
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 15:15:42 »
Yup, they're PCB mount. If the OP doesn't want to desolder them and if he sends me the board I can desolder some for you. If you would prefer unused ones I can send you a few new ones I have.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline pichu23

• ୧༼ಠ益ಠ༽୨ FITE ME
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • ʕ ͡·ᴥ ͡· ʔ
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 21 October 2014, 16:58:47 »
Yup, they're PCB mount. If the OP doesn't want to desolder them and if he sends me the board I can desolder some for you. If you would prefer unused ones I can send you a few new ones I have.

Ah, the new ones. That would be great.
I just need a few to replace the "going to be faulty" ones on my keyboard. I just need a few, not many.  :)
I'll drop you a pm.
Collection(s) : Ducky Shine 2 TKL x Poker II x 62g FaceW x 62g Gateron Black GON NerD TKL x 65g Z GON NerD 60