Poll

What color realforce should I buy?

hite
21 (48.8%)
lack
22 (51.2%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Author Topic: Topre Realforce 103U - poll time!  (Read 5255 times)

Offline poonsmjj

Topre Realforce 103U - poll time!
« on: Sun, 05 July 2009, 21:24:05 »
Hey everybody,

I'm probably going to be picking up a Realforce 103U in the next few days but I wanted to hear everyone's opinion on one thing: what color keyboard should I get?

I'd love to hear your feedback. Thanks!

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #1 on: Sun, 05 July 2009, 21:40:29 »
I regret not getting a white HHKB.
Black looks cool - but white is less resistant to getting "shiny"

edit: also more unique

Offline DarthShrine

• http://blog.darthshrine.com
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 05 July 2009, 21:44:10 »
White looks alright in a HHKB. But the Realforce 103U is much bigger and it doesn't look like it looks as good in white. That's my opinion, anyway.
Das Keyboard Ultimate
IBM Model M 1391401 (born in 1990)
Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2

Offline watduzhkstand4

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 05 July 2009, 22:07:20 »
The black on black is nice and I don't have that layout yet so I think I'll go with that =]
KEYBOARDS
Cherry Blue *Filco Tenkeyless w/ blank keys* w/ red ESC key thanks to Megarat
Cherry Red Noppoo Choc Mini
IBM Model M 1391401 12/15/88
Siig Minitouch w/ White Alps

SOLD
HHKB Pro 2 white w/ blank keys red ESC key and blank WASD keys
HHKB L-2
Cherry Brown Compaq mx11800
Dell AT101W
Cherry Red Leopold 104-key Otaku FC500RR/ABN

Offline poonsmjj

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 05 July 2009, 23:34:10 »
My only concern with the black on black is that when the keys get shiny it will show a lot more than compared to white... anyone care to comment on that?

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 05 July 2009, 23:49:52 »
Quote from: poonsmjj;101350
My only concern with the black on black is that when the keys get shiny it will show a lot more than compared to white... anyone care to comment on that?

My advice: listen to your heart. Buy the one the one you want. Why? If you don't, you'll never be happy and will always wonder what it would have been like had you bought the other one.

Offline DarthShrine

• http://blog.darthshrine.com
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 05 July 2009, 23:54:14 »
Quote from: poonsmjj;101350

I don't see the point in worrying about shiny keys. If you buy a keyboard, you're going to use it and it may or may not get shiny. That's just a quirk of the keyboard.
Das Keyboard Ultimate
IBM Model M 1391401 (born in 1990)
Happy Hacking Keyboard Professional 2

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 05 July 2009, 23:56:10 »
Quote from: DarthShrine;101352
I don't see the point in worrying about shiny keys. If you buy a keyboard, you're going to use it and it may or may not get shiny. That's just a quirk of the keyboard.

Now that I think about it, won't a white one get dirty more easily? And if yes, won't the owner clean it more often and hence contribute to shining the keys?

Offline kyamei

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 06 July 2009, 00:07:30 »
I'd actually say black keyboards get dirty faster.  All that finger gunk that builds up on keys is white.
Topre:  Realforce 101, Realforce 87U, HHKB Pro 2
Cherry Brown:  Compaq MX11800
Cherry Blue:  Filco FKBN87MC/EB
Cherry Black:  K-202 numerical keypad
Alps Black:  AT101W, ABS M1
Alps White:  Focus FK-2001
Buckling Springs:  Model M 1391401, Lexmark Model M 82G2383, Model M2
Buckling Sleeves:  Unicomp Model M4
Futaba:  Sejin EAT-1010

Offline watduzhkstand4

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 06 July 2009, 00:19:47 »
Quote from: patrickgeekhack;101353
Now that I think about it, won't a white one get dirty more easily? And if yes, won't the owner clean it more often and hence contribute to shining the keys?

well said.
Either way, the different colors has different disadvantages so just get one =D
KEYBOARDS
Cherry Blue *Filco Tenkeyless w/ blank keys* w/ red ESC key thanks to Megarat
Cherry Red Noppoo Choc Mini
IBM Model M 1391401 12/15/88
Siig Minitouch w/ White Alps

SOLD
HHKB Pro 2 white w/ blank keys red ESC key and blank WASD keys
HHKB L-2
Cherry Brown Compaq mx11800
Dell AT101W
Cherry Red Leopold 104-key Otaku FC500RR/ABN

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 06 July 2009, 09:47:55 »
White tends to be less glossy when you rub the texture away (it will eventually happen no matter what color or keyboard you get). You end up cleaning it more ( I think ) - although I've seen dark mice get just as filthy as white. It's not a car, no color will hide finger gunk (unless you get a brownish grey finger gunk colored keyboard)

and although Patrickgeek's advice is sound, I did what my heart went for first, and I wish I had gotten white isntead (I believe XSPhat sold his black one for a white one)

And if you ever get a set of white blank keycaps

downright sexy

all this said, do what your heart desires initially and never think about it again, you'll be second guessing yourself every time you think about it

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 06 July 2009, 10:01:42 »
Quote from: o2dazone;101383
and although Patrickgeek's advice is sound, I did what my heart went for first, and I wish I had gotten white isntead (I believe XSPhat sold his black one for a white one)

There are times when even one's heart is confused or does not really know what to think :-)

all this said, do what your heart desires initially and never think about it again, you'll be second guessing yourself every time you think about it

Very good advice. There have been times when I have regretted having gone back to check prices or something else.
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 July 2009, 10:07:31 by patrickgeekhack »

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
    • http://www.megarat.com
« Reply #12 on: Mon, 06 July 2009, 10:09:13 »
While I just voted for black (since most computer equipment is black nowadays, and thus will match and/or receive approval from Darth Vader), I concur with the others in this thread who say, "Don't listen to us, go with your heart, bathe in your freedom of choice and don't look back."

Black and white are diametric enough that it should be a pretty easy decision.
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 July 2009, 10:36:00 by megarat »

Home/Work:  Custom Filco FKBN87Z/EB and SGI 041-0136-001 chimera (original white ALPS, not simplified, rubber-dampened)
Gaming:  Wolfking Warrior with custom-colored layout, HHKB Lite 2 (Rubber dome)

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #13 on: Mon, 06 July 2009, 10:09:46 »
Quote from: o2dazone;101383
White tends to be less glossy when you rub the texture away (it will eventually happen no matter what color or keyboard you get). You end up cleaning it more ( I think ) - although I've seen dark mice get just as filthy as white. It's not a car, no color will hide finger gunk (unless you get a brownish grey finger gunk colored keyboard)

And if you ever get a set of white blank keycaps

Show Image

downright sexy

That white Realforce is sexy indeed. Some keyboards just look better in white than in black and vice versa. I would not want a white ABS M1.

Offline megarat

• (Not My Real Name)
    • http://www.megarat.com
« Reply #14 on: Mon, 06 July 2009, 10:14:20 »
Quote from: ripster;101384
Hey, that's a blank Red Esc key! (duh, just never thought about it).

I want one with all Red keys!   Lessee, 87x$256=$22,272.

Wonder if Majestouch would give a discount on shipping?

Using a single-wide red escape key for that triple-wide "Enter" key?  Are you mad?

Okay ... I know you're just joking, but unfortunately even if you picked up a sack of red escape keys, they wouldn't have the form factor for those keys outside of the top row.  Thus the slope of each key (aside from the top row) would be out of whack.

I wonder what typing on such a beast would be like.

Home/Work:  Custom Filco FKBN87Z/EB and SGI 041-0136-001 chimera (original white ALPS, not simplified, rubber-dampened)
Gaming:  Wolfking Warrior with custom-colored layout, HHKB Lite 2 (Rubber dome)

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 06 July 2009, 10:20:18 »
I'd join the darkside for that

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 06 July 2009, 10:54:26 »
I'd love an ALL white HHKB pro.  I very much dislike the two tone keys (shift, modifier keys, etc being a darker beige/gray).  Uniform color across all keys is the main reason i go black with my keyboards these days.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #17 on: Mon, 06 July 2009, 11:03:02 »
I voted for the white one. But if you get one, you better be careful where you leave it to prevent sun-tanning...
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #18 on: Mon, 06 July 2009, 11:57:52 »
I purchased a black one first then got a white one. I like both of them to be honest. The Topre white and gray keys are very nice and I think look better then most other white boards. My white one (little over a year old) does have a shinny spot on the space bar but it is not really noticeable unless you look for it.

One thing to think about when getting one of the Topre black boards is how well you know your key positions. In particular the numbers and special keys. And what kind of lighting you type in the most. I don't know the number row as well as I should especially where some of the special characters are on the number row. So I tend to have to look some times to find them. If you type in good lighting then you can read the lettering on the black board. But on the other hand if you type in a dark/dimly lighted room you really can't see the letters on the black board at all. I have this problem with my black one at home. During the day I have good lighting at my desk but at night the only room light I have is pretty far away and I can't read the keys on my black board at all. But then again I now know the key positions of the number row much better than I used to. I really think the black board has helped my touch typing considerably but at the same time when I need to get something done at night and don't remember where a particular key is I some times wish the white board was at home and the black board was at work.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #19 on: Mon, 06 July 2009, 13:50:16 »
Quote from: ripster;101411
I've got a mad scientist solution to that.  Hint:  I'm the green keys in the Ricercar key giveaway.

Show Image

I had to hunt that one up but I guess you could use Ricercar to mean hunting for keys on a keyboard.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #20 on: Mon, 06 July 2009, 15:35:18 »
Quote from: iMav;101399
I'd love an ALL white HHKB pro.  I very much dislike the two tone keys (shift, modifier keys, etc being a darker beige/gray).  Uniform color across all keys is the main reason i go black with my keyboards these days.
Funny. I used an all-white board for years but these days really prefer bicolor beige/grey (with some nice, sharp, high-contrast lettering if possible). Maybe I'm spoiled by using Model Ms, but I find it looks more classy (see e.g. Cherry boards) and structures the keyboard area better (which I guess was the original intent).
Quote from: microsoft windows;101400
I voted for the white one. But if you get one, you better be careful where you leave it to prevent sun-tanning...
Good point. I spent yesterday evening reading about yellowing, its causes and possibilities of removal, and it's an interesting topic.
My abovementioned all-white board (a BTC-made Packard Bell and really nice for a rubber dome) has held up pretty well btw, with both case and keys having retained the same color. Now I don't think it ever saw all that much direct sunlight, but still not too bad for a board that'll turn 14 this year. The only part that seems to be yellowed somewhat is the LED label, and there are a number of shiny keys.
That being said, I also have 20 and 17 year old Cherry 'boards which have kept their beige well, though that seems to be normal when they're not exposed to sunlight (I also have a 9 year old one whose case (ABS) looks like it enjoyed sunbathing a lot while the keys (PBT) remained unimpressed and pretty much can't be told apart from ones of a NIB board; actually they are mixed like that now and one has to look very closely to spot any difference at all).
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 July 2009, 15:59:58 by keyb_gr »
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
« Reply #21 on: Mon, 06 July 2009, 17:13:38 »
Quote from: ripster;101429
I think the plastics people say they put anti-UV stuff in the plastic these days.  I don't know whether to believe them or not since you have to wait 20 years to find out.

Not the case (*) for Cherry, at least as of 2..3 years ago. Bought one board with visible yellowing and Vista-style Win keys recently (I thought I was done buying keyboards, but what are you to do if a lonely G80 sits there with noone else bothering to bid?).

*) pun not intended but fits
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline poonsmjj

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 06 July 2009, 20:12:21 »
hey everybody thanks so much for the turnout!! i appreciate all the opinions... and have decided to do what everybody has said: to go with my heart

after careful consideration ... I think I'll have to go with the white realforce. Knowing myself I'll probably be quite annoyed at how apparent the shinyness will be on a black keyboard vs a white (I know both will get shiny.. it's just a matter of which one looking shinier).

thanks again for all your help - will post pictures after I get it!

Offline Stevie Wonder

• http://www.steviewonder.net/
« Reply #23 on: Mon, 06 July 2009, 20:20:08 »
Yo - GOOD choice!