Author Topic: Inc Article: Clean your keyboard with a hair dryer  (Read 3764 times)

Offline Viett

Inc Article: Clean your keyboard with a hair dryer
« on: Mon, 06 July 2009, 19:45:16 »
Article

This article suggests many ways of cleaning a keyboard, including using a hair dryer. It's a pretty decent read, with ideas I don't think I would have ever thought of.
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 July 2009, 19:48:02 by Viett »
Keyboards: FKBN87MC/NPEK, Dell AT101W (Black), IBM Model M 1391401 (91) x 2, Deck 82 Fire, Cherry MX8100 (Clears), Siig Minitouch
Layouts: Colemak (100WPM), QWERTY (100WPM) -- Alternative Layouts Review

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 06 July 2009, 19:52:06 »
I'm surprised they recommend the dishwasher... Rubbing alcohol doesn't matter on dye-sublimated, or double-shot molded keycaps, correct?
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline bitflipper

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 06 July 2009, 20:02:04 »
Funny, bit-tech just did a keyboard cleaning article on the 5th of July:

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/peripherals/2009/07/05/the-best-way-to-clean-your-keyboard/1

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 06 July 2009, 20:09:13 »
Quote from: ripster;101462
USB Vacuum cleaner, give me a break. Real men use these.

Show Image

Makes a great key remover too.

And I have a blower, no canned air for me :D
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 07 July 2009, 09:06:06 »
I wouldn't use canned air tipped over as suggested in the article. You can get a flexible PVC extension tube. This lets you keep the can upright and still while you scoot the extension nozzle around.

I see they even do an attachment to turn canned air into a vacuum.

I was thinking that those sticky clothes rollers would be a good source of sticky tape for lifting crud. But good old gaffer/duct tape might be better. Is there anything it can't fix?

What is the obsession with using dishwashers? Is there something about how they work that is different to submerging in a bowl of water? I'd like to believe they limit how far water penetrates, but if you have a multi-layer membrane in your keyboard the water WILL get sucked between the layers and probably corrode the tracks. I recently repaired my G15 with just that kind of damage. It's shocking how poorly the tracks conduct even before damage. It doesn't take much to ruin them. And hydrophillic action sucks liquid between the membranes, if you leave an assembled keyboard to dry it could take months, not days.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 July 2009, 09:17:59 by Rajagra »

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 07 July 2009, 09:14:39 »
Quote from: Rajagra;101517
What is the obsession with using dishwashers? Is there something about how they work that is different to submerging in a bowl of water? I'd like to believe they limit how far water penetrates, but if you have a multi-layer membrane in your keyboard the water WILL get sucked between the layers and probably corrode the tracks. I recently repaired my G15 with just that kind of damage. It's shocking how poorly the tracks conduct even before damage. It doesn't take much to ruin them. And hydrophillic action sucks liquid between the membranes, if you leave an assembled keyboard to dry it could take months, not days.

It's the same obsession that doesn't let me clean my dishes in a bowl of water.

I've dishwashed membranes. Removed them from the board of course and put crumpled paper between the foils afterwards so that they could dry properly. As for getting destroyed, usually they come from a rubber dome with little worth.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 July 2009, 09:16:44 by lowpoly »

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 07 July 2009, 09:41:06 »
That was me. Still, if it works the parts look like new. I'm addicted to that.

And I wouldn't put everything in.

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 07 July 2009, 10:48:52 »
Me I use simple green and warm water in a bowl. Then a good micro fiber lint free cloth for drying.
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 08 July 2009, 23:48:25 »
I don't think I'll ever put my expensive keyboards in a dishwasher. This is why I keep my hands clean when I'm going to use my keyboards. At work, I have a second keyboard connected (rubber dome). If my hands get dirty due to the nature of my work, I use the rubber dome. From time to time, I also have to apply moisturiser. My skin cracked if I don't...unfortunately. I come from a very humid country and Canada's weather is just too dry for me.