Author Topic: Different keyboards, same switch, different WPM's?  (Read 1612 times)

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
Different keyboards, same switch, different WPM's?
« on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 20:52:22 »
Do you guys find that there is a grace period when you're switching from your old main driver to your new one in terms of the pace that you are able to type on said new keyboard?

I'm coming from a 75% - TKL board myself and although I can still type moderately fast, it just does not feel as fast for the most part in consideration to my prior board.

What about you guys, do you find that there is a grace period of where you have to adjust when you're dealing with new keyboards and what not?
你搞砸了

Offline jacobolus

Re: Different keyboards, same switch, different WPM's?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 20:57:22 »
I'm coming from a 75% - TKL board myself and although I can still type moderately fast, it just does not feel as fast for the most part in consideration to my prior board.
From a TKL to what? Which keyboards?

Main differences I’ve noticed are: (1) more sculpted keycaps are faster and more accurate than flat ones (e.g. DCS > DSA), (2) A layout you’re used to is faster than a radically different layout, e.g. (ANSI > just starting on an Ergodox). If the general layout, keycaps, switches, and case construction are the same, I’d be somewhat surprised to see noticeable speed differences.
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 October 2014, 21:00:12 by jacobolus »

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 21:01:12 »
http://geekhack.org/index.php?board=31.0

again, we have subforums for all your questions.
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 21:05:29 »

Well it's off-topic so it's going here, thanks for your lack of contribution as per usual though, xo.

From a TKL to what? Which keyboards?Main differences I’ve noticed are: (1) more sculpted keycaps are faster and more accurate than flat ones (e.g. DCS > DSA), (2) A layout you’re used to is faster than a radically different layout, e.g. (ANSI > just starting on an Ergodox). If the general layout, keycaps, switches, and case construction are the same, I’d be somewhat surprised to see noticeable speed differences.

Oh just in general, simply put, I've come from a different keyboard type to a different keyboard type, just wondering if there are others out there like me that suffer with a loss of WPM when they switch from and to different keyboards really, :P.
你搞砸了

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 21:18:32 »
Oh just in general, simply put, I've come from a different keyboard type to a different keyboard type,
Which keyboards?

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 21:53:43 »

Well it's off-topic so it's going here, thanks for your lack of contribution as per usual though, xo.

It's not really off topic.  It's a question about keyboards and how we use them.  This is right in line with other content in the keyboards subforum.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 30 October 2014, 21:55:58 »

well, this topic seems to be about keyboards, and that thread seems to be the place for keyboard-related topics, so...
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 05:55:59 »
Any change takes at least a small amount of adjustment unless it's an obvious improvement, like I found going from a full size to TKL. Same general layout, but better ergonomics made it easy to use and actually a bit quicker since the main part of the board was more central to my display and arm positions.

TKL to 60% took some time, though.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 06:23:54 »
It's all about the layout, yo!

Offline awhitedev

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 02 November 2014, 16:30:53 »
it's subtle.. but I do find that I type slightly faster on a keyboard that is made better. We're only talking maybe 4-5 WPM though on average. I was using brown switches on both my das and a ducky zero to compare.

The ducky zero felt cheaper to me... Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe it is PCB mounted...