Author Topic: Keycap shine - nice or not?  (Read 14156 times)

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
Keycap shine - nice or not?
« on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 06:15:26 »
Hi all,

When replacing my Cherry Legend Replica set with Penumbra on my 60% board I noticed just how smooth the "E" keycap has become after just a few months.

81297-0

I don't think it feels bad, just different and I like the look of a board that's well-used. I was surprised how quickly it wore smooth, but not upset about it by any means. This is not a set I will ever sell and I'm fine with the smoothness for my own use.

Do smooth ABS keycaps bother you and give you a sad? Which keycaps have you experienced this with and which seem least susceptible?

-Ooblius maximus.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Re: Keycap shine - nice or not?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 07:00:46 »
For me the spacebar is by far the worst offender. It doesn't really bother me much. I think on cherry doubleshots shine gives a different feel, some like it some don't.

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 09:34:01 »
much sad, such greasefeel. I like PBT way more due to this reason mostly.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 09:40:17 »
I like shine but prefer it if I'm the one who is adding the shine to the caps. Otherwise, I get a little paranoid and wash the caps like 4 times.

Offline cookie

• Deskthority
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 09:44:32 »
I hate shiny caps... Shiny caps feels greasy to me, and I don't like it.
PBT all the way! My Pro1 has developed much shine but I think its okay for a 10 year old keyboard. Time to get some new caps I think.

I'd probably pay tripple the money if they would come up with "shine resistant" material.

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 09:59:57 »
I wouldn't want shine on every set I own, but I do really enjoy the look of a well worn in set of caps. The smoothness of a shiny keycap can feel pretty nice. I think of it kind of like a kids favorite stuffed animal, you might say it looks grungy, but I think it looks well loved.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 10:08:29 »
I don't mind at all. This is my keyboard at work, a Rosewill RK-9000 with SP WoB keycaps:

KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline cookie

• Deskthority
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 10:20:06 »
^ I'd hate to type on this, no offence!  :(

My Pro1 I have at work, it received a ton of love and still do. But thw shine is bothering me :/
Time for a brand new set of caps.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 10:45:40 »
I don't mind a little, but it gets to a point where the functionality gets affected. Hate that slippery feeling >:D
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 10:47:35 »
Yeah, spacebar and ASD are the worst.

Offline evolveS

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 11:06:05 »
My shiny BoW Cherry caps don't bother me. In fact I wish I could get my homing keys on other boards to feel similar.
"money comes and goes, but doubleshots are forever"
-a petty thief

Offline frvrngn

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 11:20:07 »
They dont bother me at all.  Typing on some shiny BoW Cherry caps right now!  Kind of goes along with the look of the board (G80-1800)
Currently using: Cherry G80-1800 Ergo Clears, HHKB Pro 2, RF 87U Silent

Offline Frenir

• HHKB Viking
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 11:30:04 »
I much prefer PBT because of this, my filcos ABS caps just started to get shiny and it really ruins the clean aesthetic for me.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 13:29:22 »
I quite like keycap shine.

I wish I could take pics of my QFR's set, but it's at school.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 14:20:58 »
hate the look, but don't mind the feel overall.  After a certain point though I'm sure that either the feel or the look would bother me too much.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #15 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 14:22:51 »
Just wanted to point out that PBT caps will wear. I've got a set of airport keyboard caps from a Model M on my SSK. The reason I use them is that their so worn, they're slightly shiny and smooth now. I much prefer the feeling of smooth caps so I've kept using them.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 14:24:24 »
I love the feeling of shiny Cherry caps.  Shiny SP caps, not so much.

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 14:40:36 »
Just wanted to point out that PBT caps will wear. I've got a set of airport keyboard caps from a Model M on my SSK. The reason I use them is that their so worn, they're slightly shiny and smooth now. I much prefer the feeling of smooth caps so I've kept using them.
Sure, daily heavy use for 25 years will wear down PBT. That’s gonna be hard for geekhackers to pull off though, since from what I can tell they switch keyboards every few days.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #18 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 14:45:05 »
Sure, daily heavy use for 25 years will wear down PBT. That’s gonna be hard for geekhackers to pull off though, since from what I can tell they switch keyboards every few days.

Been using my KUL almost non-stop since I got it, used one of my Filcos for 8 months before that, QFR for a year before that

might switch back to the Filco, the KUL is starting to get boring
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline DasHHKBProM

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 15:00:16 »
I think it adds character to your keyboard as long as you are the one who did it "nice". However, when you're reassigned to work at a temp workstation and the keyboard/mouse has been polished by other users, well to me that's disgusting / gross "or not".

Offline pbtforever

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 15:29:17 »
SHould have bought PBT.

Offline user 18

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #21 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 15:35:33 »
I'm like a lot of people here -- a shiny or worn cap feels well-used, and well-loved. Kind of gross if it's a used shiny set, but still tolerable.

I prefer the smooth feeling of a shiny cap to the slightly grippy feel of a new cap or a gently used PBT cap.
Please PM me if you are waiting on classifieds approval or have a question about the classifieds rules. | geekhack Terms of Service

Max Nighthawk x8 (MX Brown) | CM QFR (MX Blue) | CM QFR (MX Clear) | RK-9000 (MX Red) | Model M 1391401 | Model M SSK 1370475 | CM Novatouch | G80-8113 (MX Clear) | 60% (85g MX Blue) | Whitefox Aria (MX Clear) | CL-LX (MX Clear) | Mira SE (MX Clear)

Offline mozaiq

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 16:24:50 »
hate the look, but don't mind the feel overall.  After a certain point though I'm sure that either the feel or the look would bother me too much.

This sums it up for me as well. Although I might get used to it if all caps showed roughly the same shininess. Really dislike the two thumb marks space bars tend to have.

Offline keymaster

• Topre Revolution Theorist
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 16:34:21 »
I don't mind at all. This is my keyboard at work, a Rosewill RK-9000 with SP WoB keycaps:

Show Image

Pics like this remind me just how greasy most of our ABS keycaps will look in a few years from now. In 10 years or so, the keyboards we built/bought recently will be considered antique/vintage by some. I'd like my sets to still look nice -- even then.

tl;dr = GMK is nice, but PBT today makes the shine go away

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 16:45:24 »
I have been using PBT for a while and I like its always dry-no-shine appearance. However, I also like the feeling of original cherry keycaps that are worn off and shiny. What I really can't use is a space bar with shine on its middle, thus, I only using PBT space-bars.

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 16:52:49 »
Ooooo, Cherry Replica set...

HEY SECRET SANTA. THIS IS WHAT I WANT
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline Muzi

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 31 October 2014, 19:31:33 »
I like PBT way more due to this reason mostly.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #27 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 04:03:05 »
I have too many keycap sets and keep switching them around, so there is no bad shining yet.

A couple of space bars have a little bit of shine where my thumb hits - it doesn't bother me.

With the space bar, you can put some transparent tape across it to stop shining.  This is especially true for HHKB where all keys are PBT except the space.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline cookie

• Deskthority
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 14:28:24 »
what a shame they don't make the spacebar in PBT :/

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 15:44:57 »
Daily heavy use for 5 years is enough to wear down PBT.

source: plenty of "refurbished" Cherry keyboards from German drugstores

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #30 on: Sat, 01 November 2014, 20:42:49 »

Show Image

It's like a mirror finish!

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 03 November 2014, 02:01:37 »
Thank you all for your replies :)

cookie, your pic is very interesting. That spacebar has a dent where your thumb has worn it down :D I love to see well-used boards like this.

Keycap shine gets a bad rep on this site and since it doesn't bother me too much I was wondering how others really felt, thank you for your replies, I believe it has shown that while a lot of people hate ABS shine, for some it's quite tolerable. I get the feeling that a person with a board that has shiny PBT would actually feel slightly proud of it :)

My preferences in terms of material is still POM > PBT > ABS, but I still love my good ABS sets, even when shiny and "greasy" :D

I have a feeling my new SA profile sets with "semi-gloss" tops will have "gloss" tops after very little use.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline dashing_girlboy

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 01:40:24 »
I dont quite mind the shine since i dont look at my keyboard when im using them. But damn, the spacebar started shining within 2 months of usage. :x

Offline divito

« Reply #33 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 06:45:24 »
This thread kind of reminded me of something. Has anyone at GH ever tried like, anti-skid tape on their shined keycaps? I have to wonder what that would be like.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline z_weenie

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 17:31:36 »
I prefer the hard, textured feel of PBT, but that's because my fingers will slip around on shiny ABS. I know this as a fact since the heavily used keyboards at my school are such a pain to type on, and not because they're rubber dome (that's a separate problem entirely.)

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #35 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 01:03:58 »
I have to say, I find the speed at which ABS wears to be a little disturbing. It really doesn't last very long. Small bumps which make up the texture on keycaps can wear smooth within a couple of months of use, which is okay if you have doubleshots and don't mind the feeling, but a little shortsighted from a design point of view for components which will see a LOT of use. It means a set of keycaps can go from "new" to "well-used" in a relatively short time.

This isn't to say it doesn't happen to PBT or POM, just take a look at some old IBM Model M boards or some vintage Cherry boards with their shiny caps, but it seems to take a significantly longer time to wear to the same extent.

I also happen to like the look of a worn-in board, but it does happen a little faster than I expected with ABS.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline Zombii

• Let’s All Love Lain.
    • Let’s All Love Lain.
« Reply #36 on: Mon, 17 November 2014, 06:28:50 »
I don't mind capshine that much because I despise when caps feel slippery  (the backlit POM caps on my stock Pure Pro were a big offender), and keys with shine on them seem to 'grab' onto the pads of my fingers more and prevent them from slipping around.

Offline usno_oj

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 06:15:36 »
much sad, such greasefeel. I like PBT way more due to this reason mostly.

This is exactly how I feel! I don't think I can ever use ABS again after switching over to PBT.

Offline Grim Fandango

• * Esteemed Elder
  • "The living still give me the creeps."
« Reply #38 on: Thu, 20 November 2014, 06:24:18 »
In terms of how it feels, I do not mind it at all.

About the way it looks, I only dislike it because it is always uneven. And it looks worse on black keycaps than any other color.

Overall, it is not nearly as big of a deal to me as it is to some people around here.
Mouse Guide 2.0: A list of mice with superior sensors and more.
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=56240.0

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 25 November 2014, 19:08:51 »

Show Image

I just can't believe it, I just can't. JDcarpe is the guy with like 30 Filcos and 100 customs on top of every model possible in the keyboard world, and he uses a low end Rosewill with standard SP keycaps as his daily driver?

Sounds as though he works in an open layout office or some place where it is wise not to have something expensive and easily stolen on the desk.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.