Author Topic: Hello from Brazil  (Read 1051 times)

Offline keijo

Hello from Brazil
« on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 17:25:10 »
Hello keyboard experts, it's nice to be here.  ;D

I'm a total newbie in mechanical keyboard stuff. I spent my last three days reading about layouts and switches and keycaps, but I'm still feeling as someone standing in the edge of a portal to a new whole world.

I have one question, I would appreciate if someone could help me:

- What is the best way to choose a cherry mx switch (or other switch)? (I thought about buying a WASD sampler kit, but I don't know where I will mount the switches to make the comparison).

Nice to meet you all

keijo (it means cheese in portuguese - if it matters :p )

Offline Rainbow_

• zealio master race
Re: Hello from Brazil
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 20:58:46 »
Hi! Welcome to GH! There are other switch testers that have mounts on them, such as MaxKeyboards, which should be in stock soon. Or you could get the WASD one and build a mount out of LEGOs!
Zealio Master Race

Offline keijo

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 09 November 2014, 08:03:16 »
Hey Rainbow, thank you for your reply!

The MaxKeyboards' kit looks great, but building a mount of LEGO sounds totally cool, I'll give it a try.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 18 November 2014, 03:35:06 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

The switch tester I have tried closest to a real keyboard would be either the one from QWER (sadly no longer available any more) or the CoolerMaster one.  Actually the CM one is pretty neat - it actually looks like a miniature 6 key keyboard :)

There was a recent Massdrop for these, as someone found here.  Unfortunately it just ended, but keep an eye out in case it happens again.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ