Author Topic: Ducky Shine 3 TKL  (Read 2569 times)

Offline Jonnymcc

Ducky Shine 3 TKL
« on: Sat, 15 November 2014, 22:08:34 »
I'm sure there are many of these...

But I bought a Ducky Shine 3 TKL back in April and I have to say that I love it. For the longest time I was using a SIIG keyboard with scissor keys. In retrospect I was missing out. I bought the Ducky Shine and I can't go back to scissor keys, using a laptop is dreadful. I also bought a Leopold FC660M that I use at work. As for my Ducky Shine it has black switches and blue LEDs. The black switches are great, super smooth and linear as expected. I don't care much about the other lighting modes, I have them on all the time, nothing fancy. I do like having swapped the Ctrl and caps lock keys, feels more comfortable to use the caps lock key instead and I never use caps lock. I'm happy though, that when swapping the keys the Ctrl  key becomes the indicator for caps lock. On my Leopold after swapping the keys there is no functioning caps lock indicator =( After having the Ducky for a while I can say it was well worth the money despite recently having two LEDs go out on me. I was considering sending it in for warranty repairs but didn't want to wait. I bought some blue leds from MaxKeyboard.com and a solder sucker (already had a soldering iron) and decided to fix them myself, I did it about an hour ago and I'd say it took me about 2 hours. Not bad for a first time desoldering anything? (also I broke another LED while trying to fix the 2, so I had to replace 3...). By the way the color of the LEDs matches close enough, I can't tell the difference. Also, regarding sound, as long as you don't mash the keys I don't find it any louder than the scissor switch keyboard I used before.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Ducky Shine 3 TKL
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 16 November 2014, 03:16:16 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

I have three Ducky Shines, two are still going strong after at least 18 months, maybe it is more like 2 years now!

The first two I got has MX blues in it, but after trying blacks, then greens, I now find the blues way too light.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline GenKaan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Mer caps, mindre käbbel
Re: Ducky Shine 3 TKL
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 02 December 2014, 09:33:17 »
The first two I got has MX blues in it, but after trying blacks, then greens, I now find the blues way too light.

Haha I got Mx Clear at work and I cant wait to get home to my Mx Reds :)
|| @Home:: Shine 3 TKL (Mx Red / Deep Space)  || @Work:: G2Pro (Mx Clear / Dye Sub PBT) ||
@Reserve:: HHKB (Topre 45g / Mixed PBT) // Das v3 (Mx Brown / Blank PBT)