Author Topic: [GB] 1976 - Flashback to the Colors of the 70's (SA Row 3) --- Shipped  (Read 195152 times)

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
You Should Buy The 1976 – Specialty Kit
Yes, it's pricey, but it'll make your order SO much more flexible that you'd be crazy NOT to get it. Think of all the different layouts that you can adapt to: JD40, HHKB, Pure, Infinity, not to mention all the new and wonderful keyboards that are being developed.

Without this kit, you'll be unable to take advantage of any other layout than what you have right now. $50 is a small price to pay to ensure that this kit will work with a wide array of layouts. Layouts that aren't possible without this kit.

So, yes, you can save your $50, but trust me you'll regret it down the road when you realize that you should have bought it when you had the chance.

/soapbox  ;D

+1...  Best advice all thread...  :P

Offline Jolikki

It seems like the Nordic kit won't tip. Since I'm on an ISO layout keyboard right now, I'll have to sell it and buy an ANSI instead.
It's definitely worth it, but there's A LOT of information out there regarding key sizes and so on. I've done some hours of researching for the key sizes and found the CM Storm QuickFire Rapid.

As far as I can see, it seems like it's all-over standard key sizes, but I would like to confirm that with you before I order it. Don't wanna get the 1976 in my mail just to realize it don't fit.
Can anyone confirm? :)

Edit: Also, URL.
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 March 2015, 13:15:30 by Jolikki »
"I would stand in line for this" - Moby

Offline hermith

Can't you rather use the money that you would spend on the QFR to make the ISO set tip? :D

But yes, the QFR has standard sized keycaps.

Offline Jolikki

Can't you rather use the money that you would spend on the QFR to make the ISO set tip? :D

I've thought of that, but it's a lot of money to do that.
There seem to be seven of us who need it right now, maybe they're kind enough to produce it anyway?

Offline engicoder

There seem to be seven of us who need it right now, maybe they're kind enough to produce it anyway?

I will do what I can to get it produced. There are still a few days left, so there is still hope.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com

Keyboards are easily replaced.  These keycap GBs only ever come around once, so you only have one chance to own them.  If you prefer an ISO layout, try to get the caps so you can use this on all your ISO keyboards (cause more will be in your future, I predict).  :)

Offline goflo

If everyone who writes "It doesn't seem to tip..." would order instead of moaning, then it surely would tip  :rolleyes:
- Ergodox Classic/Browns/Grifiti Rests  | - IBM Model M Blue Label |  - Poker II MX Blue | - Ergodox Classic/Blues/Grifiti Rests

Offline Jolikki

If everyone who writes "It doesn't seem to tip..." would order instead of moaning, then it surely would tip  :rolleyes:
I was one of the first to order that kit, just starting to get worried here

Offline unoab

Well if the 7 people who need it each order 2, then you are just one away from tipping and each person only pays double for the set, but you get twice as many keys to do whatever with, so it may work out to be more beneficial than if the MOQ is dropped and the price hike is about the same..

Offline goflo

I was one of the first to order that kit, just starting to get worried here

;D No offense... I got 3 sets ordered and worst case none will tip.....and worst case is near.
- Ergodox Classic/Browns/Grifiti Rests  | - IBM Model M Blue Label |  - Poker II MX Blue | - Ergodox Classic/Blues/Grifiti Rests

Offline Jolikki

Well if the 7 people who need it each order 2, then you are just one away from tipping and each person only pays double for the set, but you get twice as many keys to do whatever with, so it may work out to be more beneficial than if the MOQ is dropped and the price hike is about the same..

Yeah. Actually, it would be worth it. I'm seriously considering hitting F5 the last hours to see of we're closing in to tip. In that case, it's not a hard decision. :)

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
The specialty kit has too many keys, IMHO. So the price is too high for a casual "I'll add one of those to my order just in case." For example, I have one board that can benefit from the kit and it only needs a 1.75x Shift. I'm not inclined to spend $48 just to have that 1.75x Shift. At $24 I would consider it, though.

Anyhow, ordered base, colour and ISO kits. [EDIT]Oops, forgot the spacebars... added 2 to my order.[/EDIT]

Wallet has been very much hacked recently, can't buy any more keyboard related stuff for about 2 months now I reckon.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 March 2015, 08:19:39 by Oobly »
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline hermith

I might be able to buy two ISO sets to make it tip (will probably buy two base sets as well). But then I need to know how PMK handles marking the value on the parcel. Is it possible to get them to mark the value 35 USD for example?

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
I might be able to buy two ISO sets to make it tip (will probably buy two base sets as well). But then I need to know how PMK handles marking the value on the parcel. Is it possible to get them to mark the value 35 USD for example?

No, they always mark the full value.  I am getting my sets proxied for exactly this reason. 

Offline hermith

Well then, only one set for me. :P

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
Well then, only one set for me. :P

Or get someone in the US to proxy it for you and buy 3 complete sets.  :P

Offline engicoder

The specialty kit has too many keys, IMHO. So the price is too high for a casual "I'll add one of those to my order just in case." For example, I have one board that can benefit from the kit and it only needs a 1.75x Shift. I'm not inclined to spend $48 just to have that 1.75x Shift. At $24 I would consider it, though.

Anyhow, ordered base, colour and ISO kits. [EDIT]Oops, forgot the spacebars... added 2 to my order.[/EDIT]

Wallet has been very much hacked recently, can't buy any more keyboard related stuff for about 2 months now I reckon.

Yes, that is my fault. I hindsight, I should have either made a smaller set with the most commonly requested caps, or possibly created a few small sets. Same is true of the slang set.
Lesson learned!
I am thinking about running an add-on buy after this one finishes that would include a smaller specialty set, a smaller slang set and possible a few others.

Offline engicoder

I will proxy for you if you need it. Just PM me.

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
Only 4 votes remain until we can get the 76 Bicentennial Novelty Keycap up for group buy, what an addition to your 1976 set... :thumb:

Please tell your friends to vote!

And if anyone wants to see the 8 track make it, please vote for it too!

Thanks for your support on all the 1976 awesomeness, engicoder has a winner with this one!
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
The problem with PMK's "child kits" system is this:

The price of the base set looks good, only $68 right now. But I need a numpad kit, a specialty kit, and a winkeyless kit.

$68 + $23 + $48 + $24 = $163.

I included all those keys in the Hack'd By Geeks set for only $120. And there was no hoping that a child kit would tip, just to get certain keys.

I'm not trying to criticize you, engicoder, I'm really not. I just think the way PMK likes you to set things up into child deals is somewhat broken. :(
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline goflo

Come on folks...

Ergodox...only 4 more
German/Slavic ...only 6 more
Ergodox modifer ... only 8 more left

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com

The price of the base set looks good, only $68 right now. But I need a numpad kit, a specialty kit, and a winkeyless kit.

I included all those keys in the Hack'd By Geeks set for only $120. And there was no hoping that a child kit would tip, just to get certain keys.

I'm not trying to criticize you, engicoder, I'm really not. I just think the way PMK likes you to set things up into child deals is somewhat broken. :(

The the PMK approach is pretty broken.  It could potentially work if there was the same concept as MD where you 'show interest' at a specific price point.  The way it is currently implemented makes it really hard to get good value for the masses.

The way you setup Hacked forced everyone to spend $120, BUT, it also brings down the price of the keys for everyone who wants everything because it is guaranteeing that the keys are produced with the purchase of every base set. 

I think it takes a lot of experience with the PMK setup to be able to organize buys that are good value for everyone and get everything that needs to tip tipped.  I don't think I have seen a good buy throught he PMK yet from that perspective.  Granite went pretty well, but I feel there are major problems with their system right now.  Too many things are at odds with each other...

Offline pomk

Come on folks...

Ergodox...only 3 more
German/Slavic ...only 6 more
Ergodox modifer ... only 7 more left

Really hope these tip!

Offline engicoder

I agree with you jd...and I welcome your criticism. The single set approach definitely has its benefits. The child deal system is certainly confusing for many, and frustrating for all whose essential child deals do not tip. Now that the mech keyboard "hobby" has started to mature, more and more people are embracing boards with non-conventional layouts. This really makes the custom keycap group buy problematic. I am new to heading these group buys and I definitely made some mistakes with 1976 that I will learn from. I am disappointed that some of the child deals that I felt were most essential, turned out to be so expensive and have little chance of tipping. I took the approach of trying to accommodate as many requests as possible, a goal I am still interested in, but I think I could have done things differently and done a better job of achieving it. I have some ideas on how I will run my next buy, and they will not be possible with PMK. Without significant changes, PMK is will continue to stifle the group buys it hosts rather than fostering their success.

Offline Willyc277

Really really don't like SA. Is there any chance that this will be remade in dcs or dsa? Fence sitting pretty hard here!

Offline engicoder

Really really don't like SA. Is there any chance that this will be remade in dcs or dsa? Fence sitting pretty hard here!

Unlikely...it's a 70's set using a 70's-esque profile.
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 March 2015, 23:06:32 by engicoder »

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
I am thinking about running an add-on buy after this one finishes that would include a smaller specialty set, a smaller slang set and possible a few others.

That sounds pretty good to me :)

I agree with jd that the PMK system is somewhat in need of attention and the Massdrop style "commit @ $xx" may be what's needed. It can work, though, and I think the PuLSE SA set child sets are a reasonably good example of how to arrange the child buys.

I really hope the multilanguage ISO set tips, since it's so rare to find a set that includes these keys, and although I have switched to ANSI layout for most of my boards (due to keycap options), I still like to use the full Nordic ISO layout now and then (and it's a requirement for my wife to try a custom board with SA profile ;) ).

I just wanted to also pitch in and say I think you've done a fantastic job of designing and accomodating as many people's wishes as possible with the base and child sets. I think it's quite acceptable to see how this goes first and then offer some later small addon buys for those kits which had some interest but didn't tip, with some adjustments to make them fit a bit better with the PMK system.
« Last Edit: Wed, 11 March 2015, 04:08:53 by Oobly »
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline hermith

I'm gonna try and pick up two sets and have them proxied. If a couple of the other on the ISO team does the same we'll tip! :D

Offline hermith

Added order now, so I'm up to two Nordic/DE kits. As far as I can go. :) 5 more guys!

Offline engicoder

Added order now, so I'm up to two Nordic/DE kits. As far as I can go. :) 5 more guys!

I will pick up a few at the end if its close to tipping. I am sure they will go quickly once pictures of the set starts to surface in a couple months.

Offline Jolikki

I will pick up a few at the end if its close to tipping. I am sure they will go quickly once pictures of the set starts to surface in a couple months.
Awesome :) I'll support you by ordering one or two extra sets tomorrow, close to when the deal is ending.

Offline hermith

Great! Then it sounds safe for me to add in the base sets as well. I'll be travelling at the end of the drop so I'll have to finish my ordering within the next 15 hours. :)

Offline engicoder

Only 24 hours left to Get Funky!!

Offline kittykatmax

I can't believe the alternate gradient kit isn't tipping.....more teal, less brown...what's not to love?

I need to stop checking here, though, I keep adding.

I'm up to:

Base Kit
Arrows Kit
Extra 6.25 spacebar
Alternate Gradient Kit (although it's not looking good for a tip)
Color Number Pad (for my Keycool)...speaking of which, I'll need to buy a few blanks, won't I......at least they're cheap!
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline engicoder

I can't believe the alternate gradient kit isn't tipping.....more teal, less brown...what's not to love?

I need to stop checking here, though, I keep adding.

I'm up to:

Base Kit
Arrows Kit
Extra 6.25 spacebar
Alternate Gradient Kit (although it's not looking good for a tip)
Color Number Pad (for my Keycool)...speaking of which, I'll need to buy a few blanks, won't I......at least they're cheap!

There is still time....

Offline Data

PMK Scramble is in full effect.

Offline Jolikki

I'm gonna contribute to the 6.25u spacebar as well, 8 more to tip right now. I'm adding that one as well as another Nordic kit tomorrow right before the ordering closes :)

Offline engicoder

I'm gonna contribute to the 6.25u spacebar as well, 8 more to tip right now. I'm adding that one as well as another Nordic kit tomorrow right before the ordering closes :)

Thanks!
I will buy however many it takes to tip the space bar deal at the end if it has not tipped yet.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator

My only hope if you do plan this is that you pull the plug on the current specialty set.  I don't need all the keys it offers and thought long and hard about adding it, but decided to in the end, just in case.  If there will be a more conservatively priced set in the future, I would rather not have spent this much money on the current one.  :)  So now I'm hoping the current one doesn't tip...   :-\

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
So now I'm hoping the current one doesn't tip...   :-\

Just for you Hoffman, it's going to tip  ;D .

Offline engicoder

My only hope if you do plan this is that you pull the plug on the current specialty set.  I don't need all the keys it offers and thought long and hard about adding it, but decided to in the end, just in case.  If there will be a more conservatively priced set in the future, I would rather not have spent this much money on the current one.  :)  So now I'm hoping the current one doesn't tip...   :-\

If by some miracle it tips, I'll send you a Jackson to soothe your conflicted psyche  :thumb:

Offline xixihaha2008

ordered!!! :D

Offline engicoder

Offline engicoder

ErgoDox Base Kit just tipped!!!

Offline samsonite727

r

Nice, what is the shipping cost Canada?

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
r

If I remember correctly it was like 18$.  I can check later though...

Offline samsonite727

r

Thanks, sadly I think I might have  to pass  :(. With shipping and conversion rates it goes over $100.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
r

Thanks, sadly I think I might have  to pass  :(. With shipping and conversion rates it goes over $100.

Just FYI, you can't buy any keyset worth owning for less than $100.  Just so you know...

Offline Jolikki

As far as I can tell, PMK handles all the shipping costs.

"We Handle Pricing & Shipping. Simple as that, you don’t need to worry about the distribution of Group Buys. We take care of it all, top to bottom"

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
As far as I can tell, PMK handles all the shipping costs.

"We Handle Pricing & Shipping. Simple as that, you don’t need to worry about the distribution of Group Buys. We take care of it all, top to bottom"

I think that is for the organizer of the GB.  They take care of charging for shipping and shipping the product they mean...