Author Topic: The future of input-neural impulse actuation  (Read 2326 times)

Offline chimera15

The future of input-neural impulse actuation
« on: Thu, 23 July 2009, 19:03:41 »
Has anyone used the ocz neural impulse actuator?

I bought one, it's on it's way.  How many keys can you use? Just one?

For bald men like me I wonder if there's an advantage. lol

http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-OCZMSNIA-NIA-Impulse-Actuator/dp/B00168VU4U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1248393447&sr=8-1
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline chimera15

« Reply #1 on: Thu, 23 July 2009, 19:15:42 »
lol  Finally got an avatar. roflol
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch

Offline chimera15

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 23 July 2009, 19:31:38 »
http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/ocz_peripherals/nia-neural_impulse_actuator

Pretty awesome!! So reading about it I guess you can use this thing potentially as a joystick or just as buttons.  There are 3 different types of input that you can assign to keyswitches, so you could potentially have a full keyboard layout....  It depends on how many signals you can latch onto it sounds like.   It sounds like 4-5 key replacement is common.... pretty awesome! wow.  They have 64 bit drivers now apparently as well.

Aha!  Eye, jaw, and alpha waves... so coool.

http://techreport.com/articles.x/14957
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 July 2009, 19:52:47 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:

Offline huha

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 24 July 2009, 11:47:57 »
I don't want to spoil your fun, but I heard performance was pretty underwhelming.
The muscle stuff supposedly works okay, but the brain wave stuff is quite unusable. Which was, as I might add, to be expected. The NIA doesn't scan regions of the brain, but receives the electromagnetic radiation emanating from all of it. It takes great efforts to consciously at least semi-control brain waves, so it's not really usable for input purposes unless the game's specifically designed (e.g. getting harder as you lose focus); it could be compared by wanting to map keyboard strokes to the average speed of your body's limbs. While running over slippery hilly landscape. In a storm. It's not like you won't get any response out of it, but it'll be seemingly random.
Mapping functions like "when I'm sleepy, I want to be the idiot with the rocket launcher" will most likely work, while "I want to jump when I think JUMP!" won't.

-huha
Unicomp Endurapro 105 (blank keycaps, BS) // Cherry G80-3000LSCDE-2 (blues, modded to green MX) // Cherry G80-3000LAMDE-0 (blacks, 2x) // Cherry G80-11900LTMDE-0 (blacks, 2x) // Compaq G80-11801 (browns) // Epson Q203A (Fujitsu Peerless) // IBM Model M2 (BS) // Boscom AS400 Terminal Emulator (OEM\'d Unicomp, BS, 2x) // Dell AT102DW (black Alps) // Mechanical Touch (chinese BS) Acer 6312-KW (Acer mechanics on membrane) // Cherry G84-4100 (ML) // Cherry G80-1000HAD (NKRO, blacks)

Offline chimera15

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 25 July 2009, 07:33:42 »
Quote from: huha;104102
I don't want to spoil your fun, but I heard performance was pretty underwhelming.
The muscle stuff supposedly works okay, but the brain wave stuff is quite unusable. Which was, as I might add, to be expected. The NIA doesn't scan regions of the brain, but receives the electromagnetic radiation emanating from all of it. It takes great efforts to consciously at least semi-control brain waves, so it's not really usable for input purposes unless the game's specifically designed (e.g. getting harder as you lose focus); it could be compared by wanting to map keyboard strokes to the average speed of your body's limbs. While running over slippery hilly landscape. In a storm. It's not like you won't get any response out of it, but it'll be seemingly random.
Mapping functions like "when I'm sleepy, I want to be the idiot with the rocket launcher" will most likely work, while "I want to jump when I think JUMP!" won't.

-huha

Yeah I've been reading that.  Although I read that the brain wave of aggression was pretty easily actuated which seems like it would be useful in a game.  I wonder if putting it on different parts of my skull might make a difference though since I'm bald.  At least I might be able to get one or two functions working with brain waves.   I'm hoping it'll actually work though and I can get all 6 brainwaves it picks up on functioning easily with some work.  That's the dream after-all.   I don't plan to use it just for games, but for design work I'm doing as well, so like I might have the clone tool in photoshop linked to the thought of "kill" or something. lol

I think I might also try to move the face functions to a different part of my body that isn't so unnatural.  I don't know.  It's going to be fun experimenting with though.

Even if I can get 2 buttons of some type working effectively on it it'll be worth it in my mind, which I think I should since I've seen videos of people moving around in games, and firing fairly easily which is like 4 keys.
« Last Edit: Sat, 25 July 2009, 07:37:32 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:

Offline chimera15

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 25 July 2009, 08:00:59 »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohfwCOus5Lw

I was surprised at how much this guy was actually able to control his brain waves. This is only his second day using it.
Alps boards: