Author Topic: Research: do you use both Ctrl, Alt and Shift?  (Read 9343 times)

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
Re: Research: do you use both Ctrl, Alt and Shift?
« Reply #50 on: Thu, 27 November 2014, 15:38:19 »
I am pretty sure I use soley the left hand modifiers, even though I am right handed. I'm trying to do as many different things on the board to see if I do ever use the ones on the right hand side but I don't think I do...
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline 1u1z

« Reply #51 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 16:58:42 »
So guys, thank you so much! Here is the results:

Offline feizor

« Reply #52 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 17:35:46 »
I use both shifts,  left control only and both alt.

Right alt for alt-enter,  alt-print  screen etc.

Offline spremino

« Reply #53 on: Sat, 06 December 2014, 18:41:52 »
Just a question for people here who use the right ctrl, how do you do it? It just seems to me like there's no comfortable way of pressing it

I have remapped all modifier keys on the on the bottom row:

Windows - Alt - Control - Space Bar - Control - Alt - Windows - Menu
A long space bar... what a waste of space!

Offline xybre

• clickityclackclickityclack
    • Music and Stuff
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 07 December 2014, 00:07:58 »
I almost always use the right shift, but I use the left control (at caps lock position), and left alt/cmd/win.

My current custom layout has function keys to the left and right of the spacebar, with the esc key in place of the lower-left control. (it's a 60%) My right shift key is split, which turns out to be a serious bummer since few keycap sets have the stunted right shift, and that's the one I use the most.

EDIT

I just realized I use the left shift for gaming, but otherwise I don't use it. Hmm. I guess I'll have to remap it on my next iteration keymap and see what happens. I can always have a "gaming" layer and a "typing" layer.
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 December 2014, 18:50:43 by xybre »
GON NerD 60 & Duck Eagle & Unicomp Ultra Classic & Das Keyboard Ultimate

Offline Heliosphere

« Reply #55 on: Sun, 07 December 2014, 00:55:56 »
I never use the right side modifiers.

Offline HydraDyne

« Reply #56 on: Sun, 07 December 2014, 23:54:33 »
I never use the right keys, unless my left hand is doing something else and I need to do Control Alt Delete.
Also I'm right handed...

Offline opensecret

• 公开的秘密
« Reply #57 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 10:23:01 »
A left-hander, I always map keyboards to put Alt-Shift-Ctrl running up the left side of the board, and use the left Alt and Ctrl almost exclusively.

As a touch typist, I automatically use the Shift key opposite the hand that’s hitting a key (e.g., right shift for T, left shift for P).  I  figured that’s what everyone does, but apparently not.

For the Win key, it depends on the board.  On the Omnikey I’m using at the moment, Windows is mapped to right Alt.  (I really didn’t use the Win key until Win8 came along, but I use it a lot now, since I’m not a fan of hovering the cursor in corners in search of a charms bar.)
IBM Model M |Matias Mini Quiet Pro|Plum 84EC-S|RealForce 103U-UW & 87U-UW|Omnikey Ultra T| 2 Omnikey Ultras| WASD V2| Xmit Hall Effect|

Offline SpicyLobotomy

« Reply #58 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 20:34:56 »
 I only ever use the left control or shift keys. Rarely do I use alt at all. I use the Windows key on both sides on occasion though.
"Squidward, I used your clarinet to unclog my toilet"

"They don't think it be like it is, but it do?"

Offline moonexe

« Reply #59 on: Mon, 08 December 2014, 21:38:17 »
I use both sides of all three. It just depends on the shortcut and what feels more comfortable for it at the time.

G80-3000, MX brown           -           Filco Majestouch 2 HAKUA TKL+TK, MX brown, JIS Layout

Offline PocoLoco

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 11:42:33 »
i only use the left hand side ones the others are non existent

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 15:32:45 »

Try removing the keycaps for a day and see if that really is the case :p
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 09 December 2014, 16:04:08 »
Ctrl- Opening new tabs with left click on a link, in game and such.
Shift- First letter of every sentence is capital. Along with sprinting in games
Alt- for tabbing out of games, or switching windows.

Offline xybre

• clickityclackclickityclack
    • Music and Stuff
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 17:21:17 »

That's how I discovered I use the right shift for damn near everything.  :-X
GON NerD 60 & Duck Eagle & Unicomp Ultra Classic & Das Keyboard Ultimate

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 10 December 2014, 19:19:11 »

That's how I discovered I use the right shift for damn near everything.  :-X

Similar here - my first Model M was missing its left Shift - I had no idea before that how much I used that particular key!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ