Author Topic: Finally entering the game with as KUL ES-87  (Read 1414 times)

Offline CrystalPepsi

Finally entering the game with as KUL ES-87
« on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 08:16:07 »
Acquired my first mechanical keyboard a few months back: KUL ES-87. I am a SQL Server BI Programmer by trade. Hoping to find some threads where people modded this particular keyboard!

Offline osi

Re: Finally entering the game with as KUL ES-87
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 08:31:17 »
Welcome! Quality board you have aquired sir.

Which switch type did you end up going with?

Offline Flyersfan1

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Hi!
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 08:35:21 »
Nice first mechanical! The KUL is such a great stock keyboard.

What modifications are you looking to do?
Quote from: Photekq
i know people who think salt is spicy

Offline CrystalPepsi

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 08:49:42 »

I am a heavy typer and work in a quiet office environment so I wanted to avoid clicky for the sanity of my coworkers. I decided on the Clears which are hard to find stock. The board I almost got instead was the CODE, but I read some mixed reviews so I went with the KUL and couldn't be happier. Took my some time to get used to the much longer key travel compared to my typical shallow rubber dome boards I have been using in the past.

Offline CrystalPepsi

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 08:54:17 »
Nice first mechanical! The KUL is such a great stock keyboard.

What modifications are you looking to do?

Well, after only having this board a couple months, the keys are already getting that greasy/shiney look to them so I think I want to upgrade to some better keycaps. I also like the look of using difference color keycaps; in particular, i smash the F5 and F9 keys a lot to execute code, so having them a bright color like red, with a nuclear or skull symbol would be cool.

Might also consider painting the case. I'm not really sure what other popular mods there are aside from adding LEDs or swapping switches/keycaps.

Offline osi

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 08:59:18 »

I am a heavy typer and work in a quiet office environment so I wanted to avoid clicky for the sanity of my coworkers. I decided on the Clears which are hard to find stock. The board I almost got instead was the CODE, but I read some mixed reviews so I went with the KUL and couldn't be happier. Took my some time to get used to the much longer key travel compared to my typical shallow rubber dome boards I have been using in the past.

Good call on the code vs kul

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 05:05:02 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

The CODE was pretty good, but did have one or two issues.  I haven't heard any complaints about the KUL yet.  It is still fairly new, so not many customisations apart from replacement keycaps yet.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ