Author Topic: Do Apple Extended keyboard cables have a substantial amount of gold in them?  (Read 1651 times)

Offline dante

9 out of 10 boards are missing their cables.  Was just curious if the cables were being dissected for gold  :p

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Nope, the stupidity of detachable cables. If they can be unhooked, they can be lost.

We all have drawers full of useless obsolete cables. They get tossed indiscriminately.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Xonar

• Cathode Ray Tubes
    • DPS
I've been wondering the same thing after looking around for one on eBay. lol You don't see the same thing happening with Model M's with detachable cables as much, but I guess that's because people generally see the value in them more than the AEK/AEK II.
IBM Model F XT 5291 Bigfoot x2 | Unicomp UN4KPHA JP Spacesaver M | IBM Model M 3270 APL 122-Key | SHARP X68000 | SGI AT-101 | Samsung TH-5539 FAME Blue Alps | IBM Japanese Pingmaster | HHKB Type-S | IBM Model M 1392595, 6/4/1990 | IBM Model M 1391401, 2/2/1988 | Lexmark-branded 1398601 Model M, 8/18/1995 | Unicomp UB40T5A 122-Key, 5/20/2011 | Sun Type 4 | Sun Type 5c | DEC LK-401AA

Offline Jotokun

Not a big deal, honestly. ADB is physically identical to S-Video, so just grab one of those cables if you don't mind the color mismatch.
85 IBM Model F "120" ANSI-Modded | 86 IBM Model M | Cherry G84-4100 | TG3 Data911 (MX Blacks) | 90 Apple Extended II (Linear modded Cream ALPS) | 95 Apple Extended II (Dampened White ALPS)

Offline Heliosphere

Not a big deal, honestly. ADB is physically identical to S-Video, so just grab one of those cables if you don't mind the color mismatch.

Good info to know.

Offline Findecanor

Except that the original cables are in the right shade of grey and have the ADB logo.

Offline jacobolus

If anyone needs an ADB cable, I have a few, and I’d be happy to mail one out for the cost of shipping.

Offline DamnDan

• * Destiny Supporter
  • The Insane One
    • My Deviantart

Unless the pinout is incomplete. I bought the S-video Cable which had only two pins connected, other were unpopulated with wires ;) Was happy that I got one for a mod, was sad when I cut it just to see only two wires were present ;)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
I have used S-video cables many times with no problems.

And, the good-quality audiophile ones are probably much better, wire-wise, than the originals.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline RoflCopter4

I have used S-video cables many times with no problems.

And, the good-quality audiophile ones are probably much better, wire-wise, than the originals.

I'm not sure what you mean by better. I don't know about anyone else but I've never had issues involving harmful interference with my keyboard cable.
Acer KB-101A with Blue Alps | HHKB Pro 2 | '85 122 Key IBM Model F | '86 1390131 "Silver Label" Model M | AEK M0115 with Orange Alps | Focus FK-2001 White Alps | Chicony 5181 with SMK "Monterey Blue" Switches | Dell AT101W | Unicomp "Ultra Classic" | Razer Blackwidow 2013