Author Topic: Cherry G81 keyboards  (Read 1642 times)

Offline rdh

Cherry G81 keyboards
« on: Mon, 27 July 2009, 23:00:48 »
I was digging around in a little hole-in-the-wall used computer parts shop  in Seattle, and ran across a small stash of Cherry G81 point-of-sale keyboards:

G81-8000LPCUS (two of these)
G81-7000LPCUS
G81-1901HSU

They're a bit dusty, but all of them seem to have a full complement of key caps (after I re-attached a stray) and no obvious damage.  They have magnetic-card readers built in, but I didn't spot any evidence of the optional barcode readers.

He's selling them for a little under $20.  Pretty pricey by his standards: he sold me a Kinesis Maxim -- an adjustable-split ergo board with rubber dome switches -- for $4.
at home: IBM "Space Saving" Model M
at work: Topre Realforce 87UKB55

Offline Rajagra

Cherry G81 keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 28 July 2009, 09:30:17 »
Quote from: rdh;104927

G81-7000LPCUS

If you update the firmware, don't have them connected through a KVM switch like I did. The data transfer caused a KVM disconnect.

(When you run the key programmer software it launches the firmware upgrade if needed.)

I managed to reflash after a system reboot. Phew. Nearly lost a £1 investment there!

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
Cherry G81 keyboards
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 28 July 2009, 09:44:51 »
I've always liked those Cherry keyboards with the little credit card readers in them. I still see them in the supermarket.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS