Author Topic: Keyboard Talk of the Day (KTOD) - Will keyboard companies become obsolete?  (Read 2337 times)

Offline dante

Will keyboard companies become obsolete?

With plentiful keycaps, cases, PCB's, switches, stabilizers, CAD softs, etc... do you see the majority of keyboard companies still selling keyboards in say 5 years?

I imagine the day may come when you will log into mechanicalkeyboards.com or the geekhack store and select all the items you need to build a keyboard then either build it yourself or have someone else do it for you.  Some would argue that day is already here but I'm referring to this activity growing large enough that it begins to affect the bottom line for most of these companies.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
Re: Keyboard Talk of the Day (KTOD) - Will keyboard companies become obsolete?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 14:38:46 »
No. I don't think most people don't care to the level we care. They want something solid or good enough and move on. The average person probably doesn't care about 1.5x vs 1.25x modifiers and doesn't want to spend the time digging into the details.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 14:39:37 »
No. I don't think most people don't care to the level we care. They want something solid or good enough and move on. The average person probably doesn't care about 1.5x vs 1.25x modifiers and doesn't want to spend the time digging into the details.

++

As long as they don't royally **** themselves, keyboard companies can go for a long time if they're any semblance of good.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 19:49:20 »
i agree with CPT and Tact, i think it's hard to forget how much people don't care about their keyboards because we surf GH and DT and /r/MK all day so it just seems like it's insanely growing and such.
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 19:55:37 »
People are lazy and want convenience. Companies give that to them
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline faceyourfaces

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 20:02:13 »
People are lazy and want convenience. Companies give that to them

I wouldn't call it laziness as much as not caring. If I don't care about [insert thing here] why would I spend the time to learn about [thing] and do things myself when I can just buy one already made for me?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 20:12:15 »
Totally agree with faceyourfaces. It's not laziness as much as  a diff outlook.

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 12 December 2014, 20:44:55 »
there are dozens of us! dozens!
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline FoxWolf1

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 00:30:42 »
Design and build to order is much less efficient than mass production. Especially when you take into account the many possible features that a customer might want. And even if customization options become more widespread, proprietary technologies and aesthetic components and differences in build style will likely lead to a persistence of plurality.  So I don't expect the keyboard world to move to an "all parts" model anytime soon.
Oberhofer Model 1101 | PadTech Hall Effect (Prototype) | RK RC930-104 v2 | IBM Model M | Noppoo TANK | Keycool Hero 104

Offline bhtooefr

• this switch can tick sound of music
    • bhtooefr.org
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 08:55:06 »
It's an extreme minority of the mechanical keyboard market that builds a keyboard from parts. So, no, I don't see mechanical keyboard companies becoming obsolete.

Now, as far as keyboard companies in general, they're already obsolete, because computers come with rubber dome keyboards that most people find acceptable.

Offline PocoLoco

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 09:33:59 »
I dont think they will ever become obselete people are a bit lazy and not everyone knows how to solder custom pcb's finally every year there are mx switch shortages so i would think not

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 09:43:18 »
Sure, eventually. Like Clint said in Unforgiven, "We all have it coming, kid."

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 16:43:23 »

This.
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing