Author Topic: Total Noob says Hi.  (Read 2807 times)

Offline magically

Total Noob says Hi.
« on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 21:44:44 »
Hi everyone XD Stumbled across here looking for a present for my gamer boyfriend. He's a pro DotA 2 player and I thought a custom keyboard he can bring around tournaments can be quite meaningful as present. But I don't know anything about it and frankly so much information and so much to choose from... so I'm just going to lurk around here until I can assemble something. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
Re: Total Noob says Hi.
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 21:50:12 »
Welcome to GH!

If you're really looking for something unique for him then you definitely should be looking into custom made boards.
There's a lot of options but there's a guy selling keyboards that he custom made. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=66645.0
There's also a few other guys selling their Korean custom's that they got through group buys and such if you just go through the classifieds as well.

*edit* It would also help if you found out what kind of switches and keyboard layouts he currently uses/likes so you don't end up getting one which he potentially already hates.
« Last Edit: Sat, 13 December 2014, 21:52:46 by Evo_Spec »
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline magically

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 22:49:05 »
thanks so much for your advise ... i'm already getting really confused after looking through the threads and after talking to this seller on taobao, he told me it might take 1 year to get a customised 104 key keyboard... - -!

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 22:50:09 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 August 2015, 09:11:56 by esoomenona »

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 22:50:25 »
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 August 2015, 09:11:47 by esoomenona »

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 23:14:34 »
thanks so much for your advise ... i'm already getting really confused after looking through the threads and after talking to this seller on taobao, he told me it might take 1 year to get a customised 104 key keyboard... - -!

If you're looking for a complete custom i'd suggest these guys over Taobao.
Kailet/Apollo's @ awshim@gmail.com, his website is http://22kbd.com/
GON has been around a little longer and is well known here, his website is www.gonskeyboardworks.com/
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline drewba

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 13:56:25 »
Hi everyone XD Stumbled across here looking for a present for my gamer boyfriend. He's a pro DotA 2 player and I thought a custom keyboard he can bring around tournaments can be quite meaningful as present. But I don't know anything about it and frankly so much information and so much to choose from... so I'm just going to lurk around here until I can assemble something. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Welcome, I'm a total noob myself! I don't play DOTA2, but watch streams from time to time. Does he stream?

Offline Sturmfrau

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 19:55:13 »
Hi and welcome. I'd suggest you prepare your wallet for the rape it will experience. As for my suggestion, I'd suggest you get a Novatouch and get custom keycaps for it. A fully customized keyboard will make your wallet go limp. ;)
|
HHKB Pro 2 Black (Blank) | HHKB Pro 2 White (Blank)

Offline magically

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 19 December 2014, 01:59:10 »

Welcome, I'm a total noob myself! I don't play DOTA2, but watch streams from time to time. Does he stream?

He doesn't stream a lot and he's a chinese player so he doesn't go on Twitch either... but if you watch from time to time he's currently in IG XD

Offline n0rvig

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 19 December 2014, 02:24:12 »
For a gift, you probably want to buy something is quick, easy, and already in-stock. Avoid the temptation of "group buys" since they can take an eternity.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 19 December 2014, 05:26:05 »
welcome! a (mechanical) keyboard is a great gift for a (pro) gamer. (can be a very expensive gift, though!)
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline magically

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 19 December 2014, 09:50:58 »
For a gift, you probably want to buy something is quick, easy, and already in-stock. Avoid the temptation of "group buys" since they can take an eternity.

well i want it to be a special gift so something that's quick easy and already in-stock doesn't really fit what i'm looking for :\

Offline n0rvig

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 19 December 2014, 11:47:42 »

well i want it to be a special gift so something that's quick easy and already in-stock doesn't really fit what i'm looking for :\

Then you've come to the right place!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 20 December 2014, 22:31:13 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Beware that something that is not quick and easy it often very expensive.  Sometimes $500+ depending on what you go for and how much assembly is required.

The results can be fantastic though, and a well-made mechanical keyboard can last for many years, so spending a little time to get it right the first time can be time well spent.

Given the huge amount of knowledge around here, please ask questions, and have a look at the simple questions thread, which is a wealth of obscure information.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ