Author Topic: Why all the fuss about tenkeyless boards  (Read 5589 times)

Offline BucklingSpring

Why all the fuss about tenkeyless boards
« on: Sun, 02 August 2009, 10:01:50 »
Ok, I will probably get flamed for that. Here’s my question. Why all the fuss about tenkeyless boards?

Here’s what my instinct tells me:
1-It’s obvious for a Laptop and KVM applications (real-estate prohibitive cost)
2-On a 100+ key boards, right-handed gunmen can’t reach the mouse fast enough to stay alive.

(I tried search first, but too many tenkeyless hits... Just like reaserching why the the microcontroller used in IBM PC keyboards is missing straight `SEX' but has logical-or and logical-and instructions `ORL' and `ANL'.) Do I qualify for the geekhack nerd joke of the day?
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline nanu

• http://T-T.be/portal
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 02 August 2009, 11:31:10 »
Quote from: self
you're not alone: You never learned tenkey and would only ever use it for the occasional ascii/unicode input.

If you ever need one again, you could get a tenkeypad and place it to the left; it makes sense for when the mouse is to the right.

« Last Edit: Sun, 02 August 2009, 11:34:05 by nanu »

Offline bigpook

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 02 August 2009, 11:37:15 »
the tenkeyless have some postive qualities. Lack of a numpad is probably the most noted but if you are talking about filco tenkeyless then there is the build quality and choice of keyswitches. now that majestouch is selling them here in the U.S. whats not to like?
HHKB Pro 2 : Unicomp Spacesaver : IBM Model M : DasIII    

Offline o2dazone

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 02 August 2009, 12:39:25 »
I had some shoulder pain from a full size keyboard. Didn't know it at the time, but switched to an HHKB and it went away. In fact, my arm has NEVER felt tired after that, no matter how much I'm using my computer at one particular moment. Granted it's a little more extreme than a mere tenkeyless, but same idea

Offline doornail

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 02 August 2009, 21:15:58 »
I've always been uncomfortable with full sized keyboards.  It feels like I'm reaching way off to the left unless I center my home keys, and THAT shoves my mouse out of handy reach.

Having switched to a Filco Tenkeyless everything feels more natural and relaxed.  Probably because I learned to type on an Apple //e -- it's kinda like coming home.

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 02 August 2009, 22:23:10 »
I'm left-handed and I use a trackball.
I guess that's why I didn't see the tenkeyless as a must.

Btw, Got 3 generations of Kensington Expert "Mouse" trackballs.
They rock!
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 03 August 2009, 02:21:10 »
I'm left-handed but mouse with my right.  When I originally learned to use a mouse, it simply never dawned on me to move it to the left...that's just "how it was done" as Far as I knew.  It would be awkward to try and change now.  :)

As others have said, a full-sized keyboard puts the pointing device way too far away from the home position.  Add the fact that I never use a ten key pad, and a tenkeyless makes perfect sense.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 03 August 2009, 18:58:30 »
I have never had much of an issue with a full-sized keyboard putting the mouse too far away. However, I usually use a keyboard with a trackball right above the number pad and that helps minimize movement.

Personally, I find the number pad to be quite useful, especially when entering long strings of numbers for things like Internet Protocol addresses. I'd rather just have a little TrackPoint in the centre of the keyboard instead of losing my number pad!
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline ch_123

• * Exalted Elder
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 03 August 2009, 19:04:56 »
I think a numpad on the left of the keyboard would be a really good idea. But I'm content to settle for a detachable one.

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 03 August 2009, 20:55:44 »
Quote from: ch_123;106712
I think a numpad on the left of the keyboard would be a really good idea. But I'm content to settle for a detachable one.

There's always one like that on ebay, with blue cherry switches...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Black-Left-Handed-Mechanical-Switch-Keyboard-USB-PS2_W0QQitemZ380091991117QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCA_Mice_Trackballs?hash=item587f3f844d&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 03 August 2009, 22:11:12 »
Quote from: iMav;106340
I'm left-handed but mouse with my right.  When I originally learned to use a mouse, it simply never dawned on me to move it to the left...that's just "how it was done" as Far as I knew.  It would be awkward to try and change now.  :)

Same here.

And then most of the nice mice are right-handed-only.

I'd love to see a left-handed Logitech MX400 or similar.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline bitflipper

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 03 August 2009, 22:51:16 »
Quote from: timw4mail;106723
There's always one like that on ebay, with blue cherry switches...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Black-Left-Handed-Mechanical-Switch-Keyboard-USB-PS2_W0QQitemZ380091991117QQcmdZViewItemQQptZPCA_Mice_Trackballs?hash=item587f3f844d&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Or you could just snag this one for $99 from a reputable dealer. :biggrin:

Offline JBert

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 04 August 2009, 03:13:36 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;106709
Personally, I find the number pad to be quite useful, especially when entering long strings of numbers for things like Internet Protocol addresses. I'd rather just have a little TrackPoint in the centre of the keyboard instead of losing my number pad!
I second that!
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline bitflipper

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 04 August 2009, 11:20:56 »
Quote from: ripster;106752
Yeah, buy from Ms Clicky.  She verified that is Blue Cherry.

If it's Blue Cherry switches, shouldn't it be rated at 50 million cycles instead of 20? I remember seeing the DeckGuy clarifying that on their linear vs mechanical keyswitch thread for the C1NWs specifically.

Cherry MX datasheet states "long life 50 million operations". This appears to apply to the entire MX series.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 04 August 2009, 11:29:21 »
Quote from: bitflipper;106884
If it's Blue Cherry switches, shouldn't it be rated at 50 million cycles instead of 20? I remember seeing the DeckGuy clarifying that on their linear vs mechanical keyswitch thread for the C1NWs specifically.

Cherry MX datasheet states "long life 50 million operations". This appears to apply to the entire MX series.

They might have old specs.  About a year ago, or so, Cherry had all of the MX switches except black rated for 20 million cycles.  Now, all MX switches are rated for 50 million.

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 04 August 2009, 11:30:43 »
Quote from: bitflipper;106884
If it's Blue Cherry switches, shouldn't it be rated at 50 million cycles instead of 20?

Didn't Cherry "standardize" their specs earlier this year? Their 20M switches miraculously turned into 50M ones.

I don't know if this was due to improvements, being less conservative, or plain old marketing.

Offline bitflipper

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 04 August 2009, 12:04:12 »
Quote from: Rajagra;106889
Didn't Cherry "standardize" their specs earlier this year? Their 20M switches miraculously turned into 50M ones.

I don't know if this was due to improvements, being less conservative, or plain old marketing.

Could be improved plastics or more accurate testing techniques. Marketing would just rename the MXs to "the Mighty Click-It switch" or something outrageous like "the Bing switch".

Offline Xuan

« Reply #17 on: Sat, 08 August 2009, 23:32:37 »
In fact, it didn't take that long, instead he was constantly loosing count of the strokes and had to start all over.

H: "click 37,483,625. click 37,483,626. click 37,483,627. click 37,483,628. click 37,483,629 click..."
X: "Hein dude! join us in lunch?"
H: "37... ****! click 1, click 2..."
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 August 2009, 23:35:53 by Xuan »

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 08 August 2009, 23:41:18 »
Or maybe he used those hand-held clicky counters to keep track, but they kept breaking after 49,900,000 strokes. Should have used the deluxe counters with Cherry switches!

Offline lam47

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 09 August 2009, 01:22:02 »
For me its all about preventing the RSI in my right shoulder.
So much so I have pretty much started to use the HH exclusively. Even the arrow keys make the board too wide for me :)
Tenkeyless boards have made my life that little bit less painful.
Keyboards. Happy Hacking pro 2 x2. One white one black. IBM model M US layout. SGI silicone Graphics with rubber dampened ALPS. IBM model F. ALPS apple board, I forget what it is. And some more I forget what I have.

Typewriters. Olivetti Valentine. Imperial Good Companion Model T. Olympia SM3