Author Topic: Slight difference between old Model F keycaps and new Unicomp ones... why?  (Read 4178 times)

Offline RoflCopter4

I bought a custom set of keycaps from Unicomp to go on my old IBM Model F Space Unsaver 122 key terminal thing (just rolls off the tongue) and, upon cursory inspection of the stems of the old and new keycaps, I noticed a small difference.

I was suprised to discover that Unicomp actually still produces the old style two piece keycaps, which is what they sent me. For whatever reason different sections of the board seem to have differently coloured stems, but as far as I can tell that is just colour. In any case, they mostly seem to be the same as the old ones found on Model Ms and some Model Fs, such as mine, with a few noticeable differences.

Firstly, and least importantly, the Unicomp ones seem to be molded rather badly. Many have serious cosmetic defects in the colour of the plastic, but given the age of the equipment Unicomp is working with I can totally forgive this. It's just the colour that's inconsistent and you don't even see the stems anyway. The second and more prominent difference is in the shape of the stem. For whatever reason, and I really don't know what that reason is, the old Model F stems have a higher slit in the back than the Unicomp ones. It's actually quite a bit larger. As far as I can tell this slit doesn't actually do anything, so I don't think it should matter... but I'm not totally sure.

Has anyone else noticed this? Would this make any difference in the typing? I had planned to just replace all of the keys, stem and all, with the new Unicomp ones, but I could just leave the old stems and put the Unicomp tops on, at least for all the keys where that is possible. I don't think that will be necessary but I really can't imagine why this difference in the mold even exists.

Some photos I took with my potato:

http://imgur.com/a/o0NrT
Acer KB-101A with Blue Alps | HHKB Pro 2 | '85 122 Key IBM Model F | '86 1390131 "Silver Label" Model M | AEK M0115 with Orange Alps | Focus FK-2001 White Alps | Chicony 5181 with SMK "Monterey Blue" Switches | Dell AT101W | Unicomp "Ultra Classic" | Razer Blackwidow 2013

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Slight difference between old Model F keycaps and new Unicomp ones... why?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 23 December 2014, 22:15:46 »
Unicomp sends all kinds of random color stems with their caps. In the old days IBM made pearl-pebble-esque stems in a small spectrum of variation, but Unicomp goes from black to white with all kinds of gray in between.

Modern quality issues are discussed here regularly, but even IBMs displayed considerable variations in weight and placement of legends throughout the 1980s.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline RoflCopter4

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 24 December 2014, 02:30:02 »
Unicomp sends all kinds of random color stems with their caps. In the old days IBM made pearl-pebble-esque stems in a small spectrum of variation, but Unicomp goes from black to white with all kinds of gray in between.

Modern quality issues are discussed here regularly, but even IBMs displayed considerable variations in weight and placement of legends throughout the 1980s.

I don't really care about the colour differences. It's the differences in the slit that confuse me. The colour is totally irrelevant.
Acer KB-101A with Blue Alps | HHKB Pro 2 | '85 122 Key IBM Model F | '86 1390131 "Silver Label" Model M | AEK M0115 with Orange Alps | Focus FK-2001 White Alps | Chicony 5181 with SMK "Monterey Blue" Switches | Dell AT101W | Unicomp "Ultra Classic" | Razer Blackwidow 2013

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 24 December 2014, 04:18:18 »
Can you feel or hear a difference when typing on them? If not, what’s the problem?

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 09:41:31 »
The slit is the gap in the stem that gives room for the spring to buckle into to hit the barrel / chimney.  The height difference is likely due to F vs M molds.  I used Unicomp stems / caps on my F107, no issues.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline Xonar

• Cathode Ray Tubes
    • DPS
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 28 December 2014, 12:53:52 »
I have to wonder how much life Unicomp's molds have left. A larger company would have made new molds long ago, but unfortunately that wouldn't be feasible for Unicomp, unless they absolutely have to. Given that, I wonder if the future of Unicomp may be uncertain...
IBM Model F XT 5291 Bigfoot x2 | Unicomp UN4KPHA JP Spacesaver M | IBM Model M 3270 APL 122-Key | SHARP X68000 | SGI AT-101 | Samsung TH-5539 FAME Blue Alps | IBM Japanese Pingmaster | HHKB Type-S | IBM Model M 1392595, 6/4/1990 | IBM Model M 1391401, 2/2/1988 | Lexmark-branded 1398601 Model M, 8/18/1995 | Unicomp UB40T5A 122-Key, 5/20/2011 | Sun Type 4 | Sun Type 5c | DEC LK-401AA

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 16:58:44 »
I have to wonder how much life Unicomp's molds have left. A larger company would have made new molds long ago, but unfortunately that wouldn't be feasible for Unicomp, unless they absolutely have to. Given that, I wonder if the future of Unicomp may be uncertain...

You scare me.  Don't say that!

Regarding the key caps, they seem to work fine on my 107.  Feel the same.  Slightly off topic, I've found with the original caps on the 107 didn't have nubs on the F and J keys and I felt like a complete nub typing, like my fingers completely forgot what they were doing.  Do all other model F keybaords have nubs on the F and J keys or was it standard practice not to include nubs?

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 17:16:49 »

didn't have nubs on the F and J keys and I felt like a complete nub typing, like my fingers completely forgot what they were doing. 

I prefer no nubs.

But for sentimental (or is it just mental?) reasons I keep red or orange caps on "GH" and that functions about the same for a "cheating touch-typer" like myself.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline wyatt8740

• Machine code enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 19:24:45 »
first a disclaimer: I only have been able to find M's, so my experience with F's is just about nonexistent.

but if you can't feel a difference typing with the new one, I don't think it matters at all. and if your old F keys had detachable stems, I'd recommend you use the old stems and new caps if it bothers you.

My 1993 Lexmark M stems had similar swirls; I don't think thay's due to age necessarily.  And unicomp keeps telling me they're working on a tenkeyless mould so I think that they can afford a new one if it isn't too often (though the ETA keeps changing. If it had been at their original arrival time, it would have been announced February 2014 or so). I would buy three tenkeyless M's if they would start making them, already.

Then again, I also think they would sell loads if they were to make black keycaps with white lettering on them. But neither have happened and both would make Unicomp get a LOT of orders, because they would be making rarer and more desirable variants and would be able to sell cheaper than the price M13's and especially tenkeylesses go for now.

I can just imagine... a black tenkeyless M!

But I digress.
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 December 2014, 19:31:02 by wyatt8740 »
I don't usually collect things, but when I do, they're from the 70's, 80's, and 90's. My typing speed: 79 WPM
IBM Model M 1386303, 1987 / IBM Model M 1391401, 1993 / IBM Model M 59G7980, 1993 / Unicomp "Mini M" UT40E7A (modded), 2021 / Dell AT101W, 1994 (Black Alps) / Apple Extended Keyboard (Orange Alps), 1987 / Sun Type 5, unknown year (Rubber Dome)

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 19:37:55 »

Regarding the key caps, they seem to work fine on my 107.  Feel the same.  Slightly off topic, I've found with the original caps on the 107 didn't have nubs on the F and J keys and I felt like a complete nub typing, like my fingers completely forgot what they were doing.  Do all other model F keybaords have nubs on the F and J keys or was it standard practice not to include nubs?

The terminal boards don't have home row nubs, the PC boards do.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 19:39:50 »

Interesting,  that must just be for model F, as my terminal M has nubs.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 19:51:11 »
And unicomp keeps telling me they're working on a tenkeyless mould so I think that they can afford a new one if it isn't too often (though the ETA keeps changing. If it had been at their original arrival time, it would have been announced February 2014 or so). I would buy three tenkeyless M's if they would start making them, already.
Don’t get your hopes up. They’ve been hinting at numpad-less models for years, with no physical evidence they’re actually working on it.

Offline RoflCopter4

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 04:45:00 »
And unicomp keeps telling me they're working on a tenkeyless mould so I think that they can afford a new one if it isn't too often (though the ETA keeps changing. If it had been at their original arrival time, it would have been announced February 2014 or so). I would buy three tenkeyless M's if they would start making them, already.
Don’t get your hopes up. They’ve been hinting at numpad-less models for years, with no physical evidence they’re actually working on it.

Perhaps what they mean when they hint is that they're looking for commercial contracts for them rather than actually physically working on the moulds?

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 08:33:09 »
Unicomp is bad at marketing itself.
It is bad at innovating.
It is using ageing equipment and has quality issues.

The only thing that they are good at being, is friendly. Many big industrial firms don't respond to inquiries from retail customers. Customer goodwill is about the only thing sustaining Unicomp now.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline bitslasher

Since the patents on buckling spring have long expired, I'm shocked there are not knock-offs out there yet.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
Since the patents on buckling spring have long expired, I'm shocked there are not knock-offs out there yet.

Not a big enough market for them.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
If you could come up with a blingy backlit BS keyboard, demand might increase slightly.  Make it a silent one, and you'd be on a winner!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Janeiac

Both my PC model F and my AT model F have one-piece keys and no nubs. My 1984 M has two-piece keys and nubs. I vaguely remember nubs being talked about as a new thing back then, part of what came to be called "universal access" meaning a design philosophy that puts handicapped-accessible features everywhere, not just in special purpose-built things for handicapped people. The thinking is to make the whole world more accessible. It's way cheaper and easier to put nubs on all keyboards rather than build special keyboards. It's also easier for everyone to learn and use touch-typing to have the nubs.

I can't find any documentation on that in a quick search, I just remember it being a thing.