Author Topic: 55g HHKB & 55g UK layout Topre  (Read 2625 times)

Offline TheSven

55g HHKB & 55g UK layout Topre
« on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 12:43:54 »
Hey there people of GH!
I've been wondering about Topre lately, specifically two things. The first thing is there a Happy Hacking Keyboard with 55g switches? I've decided that 45g would be too light for me, as I generally prefer heavier keyboards. So does a HHKB with 55g exist or would I have to somehow mod one? The second thing is there a Realforce 88U (ISO) with 55g switches? Or would I have to mod them again?
Thank you.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
Re: 55g HHKB & 55g UK layout Topre
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 12:45:46 »
I've only seen an 87u with 55g, but I wouldnt doubt that there's an 88 out there with 55g. As for the HHKB, you would have to swap the domes in from a 55g Realforce.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 13:19:47 »
I have a RF 87ub 55g, and I really like the solid sound and feel of the heavier plate-mounted switches.

The HHKB Pro 2 has uniform 45g Topre switches that are case-mounted. You can do a dome swap from a RF 55g donor board to get heavier switches, but you cannot make the switches plate-mounted like they are in the RF boards.

I go back and forth between the HHKB and RF. My favorite form factor is 60% and my favorite layout is that of the HHKB, but I also prefer the more solid sound and feel of the 55g plate-mounted Topres in my RF.

Sometimes I think that the perfect keyboard would be a HHKB with plate-mounted 55g switches, but this might throw off the unique sound and feel of the HHKB Pro 2.

Offline Khers

• Schrödinger's box
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 16:07:54 »
« Last Edit: Tue, 03 July 2018, 08:00:35 by Khers »

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 17:05:03 »
I just bought an HHKB and I'm currently trying to find 55g domes to add without buying a Realforce as a donor.

The HHKB Pro 2 has uniform 45g Topre switches that are case-mounted. You can do a dome swap from a RF 55g donor board to get heavier switches, but you cannot make the switches plate-mounted like they are in the RF boards.

Do you have pictures of this? I didn't know there was a plate/ case mount thing with topre.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 17:12:16 »
I just bought an HHKB and I'm currently trying to find 55g domes to add without buying a Realforce as a donor.

Do you have pictures of this? I didn't know there was a plate/ case mount thing with topre.

I'm pretty sure he just means like they are in the RF. You can't use a plate in the HHKB, you just have to use the case as your only mounting method.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 17:26:49 »

I'm pretty sure he just means like they are in the RF. You can't use a plate in the HHKB, you just have to use the case as your only mounting method.

Ok so the RF has the barrels mounted to a metal plate while the HHKB has them cast in one piece with a plastic plate?
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline TheSven

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 09:33:30 »
I've only seen an 87u with 55g, but I wouldnt doubt that there's an 88 out there with 55g. As for the HHKB, you would have to swap the domes in from a 55g Realforce.

I have a RF 87ub 55g, and I really like the solid sound and feel of the heavier plate-mounted switches.

I go back and forth between the HHKB and RF. My favorite form factor is 60% and my favorite layout is that of the HHKB, but I also prefer the more solid sound and feel of the 55g plate-mounted Topres in my RF.

Sometimes I think that the perfect keyboard would be a HHKB with plate-mounted 55g switches, but this might throw off the unique sound and feel of the HHKB Pro 2.

A 55g 88u is not available directly, but iirc Keyboardco had some sort of an interest check a while back for a 55g 88u. Don't know if any were actually produced though.

Thanks for all of your help guys. Looks like I'll have to mod then, or just stick with an 87U.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 31 December 2014, 09:39:05 »
Ok so the RF has the barrels mounted to a metal plate while the HHKB has them cast in one piece with a plastic plate?

Yes on the RF the barrels/sliders mount in a metal plate but on the HHKB the barrels/sliders mount in the top of the case, see below pic.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=46805.msg990835#msg990835

realforce photos here

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=21952.0

« Last Edit: Wed, 31 December 2014, 09:44:11 by SpAmRaY »