Author Topic: Help replacing backlight on razer bwidow 2013  (Read 1551 times)

Offline prawnflakes

Help replacing backlight on razer bwidow 2013
« on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 22:55:52 »
Hey all,

I'm not sure where this should go (here felt like the right place). I just recently painted my razer blackwidow ultimate 2013 (I regret my purchase) and wanted to put some new keycaps on it. My options were blank keycaps of different colors, or clear keycaps I would prefer clear keycaps, but if I get them, I won't be able to have my desired colour scheme. To resolve this, I thought that the best course of action would be to replace the LEDs to fit my colours! The other day I bought myself a 3mm LED and solder wick, and experimented with the light up razer logo. I screwed it up big time I pulled out the little eyelet thing that is inset into the PCB. I don't mind so much because it's just a logo. When I tried to unsolder it, the solder didn't really melt, I had to sort of scrape it off (I assume it's just filth tier solder) I almost tried to add a backlight to one of the keys which doesn't have one (there is room for it) and gave up when I found the solder to be the same (not sure what I expected :P). So basically, I just wanted some help with how to replace the green backlights with my own flavour. If there are any guides I have missed then please point the way, or any general advice would be much appreciated!

TL;DR
How 2 change backlight LEDs on mech keyboard without stuffing it up.

Cheers,
Calum

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Help replacing backlight on razer bwidow 2013
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 23:07:28 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Given your experience practicing on a non-critical part of your keyboard, do you think it would be a good idea to repeat that across the board?

Maybe a better solution would be to get a different keyboard with the colour LEDs you want.  A Ducky, for instance?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline prawnflakes

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 23:12:50 »
I would like to, but it's not an option. Could it be that my soldering iron just isn't good enough (it's some really old weller) and the LEDs I would like are in a certain pattern (RGB Keyboards could be an option but are expensive)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 23:22:25 »
I would like to, but it's not an option. Could it be that my soldering iron just isn't good enough (it's some really old weller) and the LEDs I would like are in a certain pattern (RGB Keyboards could be an option but are expensive)

Chances are the iron just wasn't hot enough.  Any solder in manufactured parts these days is lead free solder which require a significant amount more heat to melt than leaded solder.  My suggestion is to buy a learn to solder kit that just has the parts, get some 63/37 flux core solder, and have your way with it.  When you get it built up desolder it.  Also get an authentic Edsyn sold-a-pult.  These things are worth their weight in gold when it comes to desoldering.  Also a tip for desoldering anything lead free.  Go through every joint and add leaded solder to the joint before attempting to desolder.  It makes it tons easier to remove.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline prawnflakes

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 23:35:07 »
Thanks a bunch, that's just the advice I needed! When I get back home I'll go out and get myself a new iron. Should I get a Gas or electric iron.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 23:51:11 »
Do NOT get gas.  Go for electric.  And you will want a chisel tip around 2mm wide or so.  Check the top post in the Living Soldering thread under Making Stuff Together.  It should be stickied there.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline prawnflakes

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 23:06:38 »
So I thought of one more thing. Seeing as the solder already on the boar is lead free should I also get some lead free solder to attach the new LEDs?

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 11 January 2015, 23:08:03 »
No, that stuff is a royal pain to work with.  Mostly due to the fact that it does require more heat, so this causes it to be much easier to lift pads.  You will want 63/37.  Lead free is only used to maintain RoHS compliance.