Author Topic: Rosewill RK-9000RE broken  (Read 896 times)

Offline whygodpleasehelp

Rosewill RK-9000RE broken
« on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 17:37:10 »
So after two years, my RK-9000RE has failed. When I plug it in, nothing happens to either the keyboard or computer, so I opened it up. The USB connector seems fine, but the soldering on the leftmost LED is kinda shifty. If I wiggle the LED a little or tap the solder, all three LEDs light up, so I must be getting power.  What could be the issue?

Offline neverused

Re: Rosewill RK-9000RE broken
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 17:49:22 »
If you open it up, you might be able to see if there's a short somewhere or if a solder joint on the USB connector is faulty. If that is the case, you can reflow the joint and that may help.

Offline derb2k2

• Something of a Topre ****..
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 18:08:15 »
it is most likely the mini-usb port or the connector. I think those are viewed as sensitive and have been known to give problems. In fact, I had a Rosewill 9000 and it malfunctioned due to this. If you open it up you can kind of see why. Two years is actually a good lifespan. I remember getting mine for $65
HHKB | RF 45UB | Novatouch | Poker II Blue | QFR Browns | Rosewill RK-9000RE

Offline mouse.the.lucky.dog

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 21 January 2015, 23:28:31 »
If you open it up, you might be able to see if there's a short somewhere or if a solder joint on the USB connector is faulty. If that is the case, you can reflow the joint and that may help.

Also do the LEDs.