Author Topic: Why are HHKB boards so great?  (Read 15310 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: Why are HHKB boards so great?
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 00:38:12 »
This is why they're so phenomenal...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-purchase_rationalization

but i got mine for free

You're welcome :P

Now someone buy me a HHKB so I can be a part of the master race! lol

I'm not a rich man, but I'd put $20 toward that goal.  Now we just need 11-13 more at $20, depending on shipping.

Cheers nubbs and dembro but I don't think I could accept that, there are far more deserving people around here!

SHUT UP AND TAKE IT, YOU KNOW YOU LIKE IT

Offline snipars

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 00:40:46 »
It's expensive and not perfect for everyone, but for people who like tiny keyboards and tactile switches, it's really nice to type on.
It's the only keyboard i've used so far that i'm content with using all the time,other keyboards i seem to get bored of after a week but the hhkb looks, feels and sounds amazing. 
I guess there are bound to be people who don't like it but encourage themselves to because of the price, but for me it's the ideal keyboard, however i don't like the fact that there are no keys in the lower left or right, forcing me to use the default control position whereas i'd rather have backspace on that key 

That being said, i'm typing this on a laptop keyboard looking at my hhkb on the table next to me as i don't want to wake anyone up, i want to buy a silenced version but i'm not sure if they feel identical
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 February 2015, 00:47:39 by snipars »
Duck Octagon + Gateron Black |HHKB Pro 2 | Poker 2 + Vintage Black + Tex case | Unicomp Ultra Classic | WASD V2 |

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 00:45:17 »

but i got mine for free

You're welcome :P

Now someone buy me a HHKB so I can be a part of the master race! lol

I'm not a rich man, but I'd put $20 toward that goal.  Now we just need 11-13 more at $20, depending on shipping.

Cheers nubbs and dembro but I don't think I could accept that, there are far more deserving people around here!

possibly. but i bet none are niner fans. we gotta stick together bruh
No, he’s not around. How that sound to ya? Jot it down.

Offline hasu

• @tmk
    • tmk keyboard firmware project
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 00:51:15 »
HHK IS A WAY OF LIFE. IT NEVER MEANS TOPRE NOR RUBBER DOME.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 00:53:01 »
SHUT UP AND TAKE IT, YOU KNOW YOU LIKE IT

oooh baby just like that. *shudders*

possibly. but i bet none are niner fans. we gotta stick together bruh

Damn right bro. NFC West is ours next year!
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline minh278

• In life we will only fall, How far will we fall?
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 02:34:37 »
Though i have a topre i reserve that for the weekends. My laptop chicklet keyboard is alot easier to type on when im on the couch(i dont feel like using my desktop on weekdays). Yes the blasphemy...
Keyboards:  Final Fantasy XI XIth Anniversary keyboard (topre 45g) | Realforce Rgb (topre 45g, Eva Noctilucous keyset) | Mionix Zibal 60 (mx black, Vortex doubleshot) | Greymark (white alps) | IBM model M (found in the trash!)

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 02:41:41 »
Though i have a topre i reserve that for the weekends. My laptop chicklet keyboard is alot easier to type on when im on the couch(i dont feel like using my desktop on weekdays). Yes the blasphemy...
Don't blame you. Most of the time I'm on GH it's on my tablet on the couch or in bed.

Offline feizor

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 02:47:03 »
Look at it!! Just look at it for god's sake!

What's the velcro for?

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #58 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 03:20:42 »
They're not.

^This.

Plasticky feeling expensive rubber dome board.

Unusable arrow and edit key layout (that can't be reprogrammed). Fn key placement that overloads your right pinkie even more than a normal board. Slippery grip tabs that allow the board to move around when typed on.

No aftermarket keycap choices.

ABS spacebar.

Only one useful mod - can't change the switch feeling except by buying ANOTHER overpriced board and swapping domes.

Overpriced and overrated.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #59 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 03:24:31 »
They're not.

^This.

Unusable arrow and edit key layout (that can't be reprogrammed). Fn key placement that overloads your right pinkie even more than a normal board. Slippery grip tabs that allow the board to move around when typed on.

ABS spacebar.

Only one useful mod - can't change the switch feeling except by buying ANOTHER overpriced board and swapping domes.

Whoa that's pretty awfully biased coming from you.

think my hhkb trolling does more damage to the hhkb team image than helps it.

although, i wonder who has listened to my trolling, bought it and actually thought "he was right!"

Me! I did.
You mean you lied to me milky?

Offline snipars

« Reply #60 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 03:33:13 »
They're not.

^This.

ABS spacebar.

The plastic feeling is what makes it so great for me, the hhkb may not be ideal for you but it's not cheap feeling
And for me, the layout is near perfect, although everyone uses their keyboard for different things
Duck Octagon + Gateron Black |HHKB Pro 2 | Poker 2 + Vintage Black + Tex case | Unicomp Ultra Classic | WASD V2 |

Offline Keybatant

• topre and cigar
« Reply #61 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 03:54:35 »
HHKB is great keyb, small mobile topre happynator with smart layout.
Is worth the money tag? Hell no, but *****ing about its price compare to much more expensive useless stuff that is eating dust in my garage will sound hypocrite even to me.
If I'll need to choose only one, hhkb would win for sure.
Don't get me wrong, I just like topre feel, so have portable topre keyboard is just great idea imo, but my "favorite" device is and will be Code tkl with clears.
I'm not typing on it every day, my daily driver is hhkb (surprise, surprise), but when I back to mx clears after few days (weeks) of break, it just sounds like brutal fight with unknown man.
And after minutes I can hear voice of De Niro from Taxi Driver movie:
"Are you bottoming me?"

Offline derb2k2

• Something of a Topre ****..
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 05:07:53 »
HHKB is great keyb, small mobile topre happynator with smart layout.
Is worth the money tag? Hell no, but *****ing about its price compare to much more expensive useless stuff that is eating dust in my garage will sound hypocrite even to me.
If I'll need to choose only one, hhkb would win for sure.
Don't get me wrong, I just like topre feel, so have portable topre keyboard is just great idea imo, but my "favorite" device is and will be Code tkl with clears.
I'm not typing on it every day, my daily driver is hhkb (surprise, surprise), but when I back to mx clears after few days (weeks) of break, it just sounds like brutal fight with unknown man.
And after minutes I can hear voice of De Niro from Taxi Driver movie:
"Are you bottoming me?"
Show Image

:)) :)) :)) :))
HHKB | RF 45UB | Novatouch | Poker II Blue | QFR Browns | Rosewill RK-9000RE

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 06:54:41 »

Whoa that's pretty awfully biased coming from you.

[/quote]

Yeah... I guess I got a bit carried away there. It's not as bad as all that, just not my thing really. I'm a "modder" at heart, find it hard to leave things stock, so that affects my bias, too. If I don't have an option to change it I find it less attractive than if I do.

And the arrow and edit layout is unusable to me, spanning three rows just to press up and down. Maybe if I turned it 90 degrees so I can use my thumb to press Fn and rest my fingers on [; and /....  :rolleyes:

If you add how much I've spent on keycaps to the price of my boards, then the price of the HHKB may not be so bad in comparison, but I just love changing my caps :)
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #64 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 07:04:01 »
Is it for plastic and rubber lovers? Now it sounds like if we were at a bondage site.

Offline Firebolt1914

• POM Overlord
« Reply #65 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 07:53:19 »
I'm gonna listen to demilk's trolling and buy an hhkb

Offline monotagary

• Keycaps > Rent
« Reply #66 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 09:32:22 »
I'm gonna listen to demilk's trolling and buy an hhkb

Demik's trolling converted me the HHKB lifestyle and I can't imagine going back to anything else.

« Reply #67 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 10:47:41 »
* sigh * Opens wallet.

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #68 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 10:52:40 »
Meh, I sold my HHKB...
so I could buy a Type-S.  ;D

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #69 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 10:53:51 »
Meh, I sold my HHKB...

^^ This guy knows whats up.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #70 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 10:58:12 »
Topre Lovers = Apple Fans
Topre Haters = Android Fans

Not saying that if you love Topre you have an iPhone and if you don't like Topre you have an Android phone, I'm just talking about behavior. In my experience Android fanatics will do whatever they can and take every opportunity to bash the iPhone and those who purchase them. Whereas most iPhone users don't feel the need to waste time and energy on bashing Android, because they realize that it's a decent phone, just not for them.

When the Topre war starts, it's almost always somebody coming in and harping on how overpriced and overrated it is, rarely (if ever) is it a Topre fan bashing on non-Topre switches.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 11:02:12 »
Young people tend to need leadership to make decisions, grown ups take their own. I have not read people in need of induction to get BS or MX boards, I wonder why some people declared they are into HHKB, in particular, because someone has inducted them into it.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #72 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 11:03:42 »

Not saying that if you love Topre you have an iPhone and if you don't like Topre you have an Android phone, I'm just talking about behavior. In my experience Android fanatics will do whatever they can and take every opportunity to bash the iPhone and those who purchase them. Whereas most iPhone users don't feel the need to waste time and energy on bashing Android, because they realize that it's a decent phone, just not for them.

When the Topre war starts, it's almost always somebody coming in and harping on how overpriced and overrated it is, rarely (if ever) is it a Topre fan bashing on non-Topre switches.
Unless It's Demik, then everybody notusing HHKB is a waste of oxygen.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline monotagary

• Keycaps > Rent
« Reply #73 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 11:05:01 »
Meh, I sold my HHKB...

^^ This guy knows whats up.

Ayyyyy lmao.

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #74 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 11:11:09 »
That tiny ass spacebar sucks. The enter key is huge and ISO style. The tiny gaps on the bottom row is awful design.

If that wasn't bad enough, the backspace key is only 1u, and difficult to reach as it's positioned way too far away.

The whole point of having a tiny spacebar for a non-japanese person is to be able to very easily reach modifiers left and right of the space bars with the thumbs. As a result I'm using Alt, AltGr, Ctrl, Shift and an additional "Super" modifier (so that's five modifier instead of typically three... Sometimes I'm considering adding an "Hyper" modifier too). I touch type but I "incorrectly" only ever hit the space bar with my right thumb (instead of alternating as the touch-typing gods meant it to be if I am not mistaken), so that allows me to constantly have my left thumb on the modifier at the left of the tiny space bar: this is great because I don't need to distort my thumb, it just feels natural.

Who's reaching for backspace? That's modifier+'h' for me to delete a character backward and modifier+'m' to do "enter".

Tiny gaps? I hardly ever use the function keys and who reaches for the arrows?  There's modifier+{i,j,k,l} to simulate the arrows. So I didn't even notice that gap until I read your message...

I'm not just after a good switch: I'm also after having the most efficient setup possible. For example one modifier is dedicated to all the shortcuts related to the window manager (switching virtual desktops, resizing windows, closing windows, etc.): that's very convenient (and fast). My keyboard's layout ain't perfect? I'm not forced to use every single key...

I've been typing on IBM Model M for years and have tried many MX switches and I even have a white ALPS board which is kinda great to type on...  Yet after reading about the particular feeling of Topre and how they were so great, I decided I had to try an HHKB to see what gives: best switch ever IMHO.  Maybe not for gaming: but I don't play games with my HHKB.

Now I'm not saying the HHKB Pro JP's layout is perfect and I'm not saying I wouldn't love a real ergonomic keyboard with Topre switches: say an ErgoDox or a keyboardio/butterfly design but with Topre switches.  Actually I'd love that: I'd fork out $500 in a heartbeat to have such a beast (and, no, I don't like the µTron's layout at all)... But meanwhile I'm a happy camper with my Pro JP  :p
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline snipars

« Reply #75 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 11:14:25 »

Does the silenced version feel any different to the standard version? i'd love to have a silent hhkb, but i'm not willing to sacrifice any of the brilliant feeling

People are stupid about the hhkb and topres in general, i love how the hhkb feels and how light it is so i can transport it easily, which other than the layout i think is the only real advantage it'd have over other keyboards. It's great for me, but some people prefer clicky or linear to expensive cup rubber tactile goodness

Offline TacticalCoder

« Reply #76 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 11:22:52 »

Besides my beige IBM Model Ms sitting in a garage, my HHKB Pro JP is actually the least expensive board I've got here: I've got industrial Model Ms with fancy keycaps (so you need two keyboards to make one), a Cherry MX-5000 and a very nice prototype split /ergo white ALPS board which could very well sell for more than an HHKB if I were to sell it.

(and I paid my HHKBs kinda a cheap price: bought directly in Japan by a relative when the EUR was very high compared to the Yen and delivered for free)

So the argument "you paid a lot for it, so you think it's great" doesn't make much sense to me: my HHKB is the least expensive keyboard here.  By that logic I should be using my Industrial Model M with white-on-black M13 keys or my MX-5000.

Simply doesn't follow. Moreover the HHKB keeps a high resale value: so anyone buying one and not liking it can simply resell it and not lose too much.

I think the HHKBs are simply freakin' great keyboards and that's why most people who try them never go back  :)
HHKB Pro JP (daily driver) -- HHKB Pro 2 -- Industrial IBM Model M 1395240-- NIB Cherry MX 5000 - IBM Model M 1391412 (Swiss QWERTZ) -- IBM Model M 1391403 (German QWERTZ) * 2 -- IBM Model M Ambra -- Black IBM Model M M13 -- IBM Model M 1391401 -- IBM Model M 139? ? ? *2 -- Dell AT102W -- Ergo (split) SmartBoard (white ALPS apparently)

Offline brimborion

• Likes Matias Switches
« Reply #77 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 11:37:58 »
I spend a lot of time in vim so I like the Esc placement. I also was spending some of my time on Sun machines when I bought my first HHKB Lite, so I appreciate the Control placement. I also was using a Marble Mouse and liked how close it sat to my right hand when I used the small keyboard.

So, I bought my Lites for the layout, which I can change in my other keyboards with key mapping software, and size, which I can't, though another 60% might be fine. At the time, mechanical to me meant Model M, so I couldn't really see why the Pro would be worth the extra money. Though, since I bought 3 lites, maybe I was approaching the price anyway.

I'm not saying its too expensive, but so far it has been too expensive for me.

I've been through this whole thing with pens too, there's always something shinier and better that a few loud people will tell you is better than anything you already have. I get one, and it's not. Still, another compact keyboard is in my future, and it's one of the options.
Buckling Spring: 42H1292,  1391401, Unicomp Linux 101, Customizer 104 | Cherry Blue: Rosewill RK-9000, Das Keyboard S Pro | Cherry Black: Wyse/Link 840358-30| Rubber Dome: various Key Tronic, HHKB Lite, HHKB Lite 2, KB-8923, 71G4644 | Topre: Type Heaven | ALPS: Matias Mini Tactile Pro, 2xKBP V60

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #78 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 11:43:32 »
Does the silenced version feel any different to the standard version? i'd love to have a silent hhkb, but i'm not willing to sacrifice any of the brilliant feeling

It felt "tighter" and a little nicer to me when I tried one.  I wouldn't pay the premium for it though.

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #79 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 12:54:04 »

Besides my beige IBM Model Ms sitting in a garage, my HHKB Pro JP is actually the least expensive board I've got here: I've got industrial Model Ms with fancy keycaps (so you need two keyboards to make one), a Cherry MX-5000 and a very nice prototype split /ergo white ALPS board which could very well sell for more than an HHKB if I were to sell it.

(and I paid my HHKBs kinda a cheap price: bought directly in Japan by a relative when the EUR was very high compared to the Yen and delivered for free)

So the argument "you paid a lot for it, so you think it's great" doesn't make much sense to me: my HHKB is the least expensive keyboard here.  By that logic I should be using my Industrial Model M with white-on-black M13 keys or my MX-5000.

Simply doesn't follow. Moreover the HHKB keeps a high resale value: so anyone buying one and not liking it can simply resell it and not lose too much.

I think the HHKBs are simply freakin' great keyboards and that's why most people who try them never go back  :)
At this point, I've put more money into my Poker II than my HHKB; guess which one gets more use :)
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #80 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 13:26:20 »
HHKB = the Apple sheeple of the keyboard world

Offline demik

• Pronounced "demique"
« Reply #81 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 13:27:46 »

Man, you really don't like me do you?

Says the clickclack collector. That's rich.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #82 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 13:29:14 »

Nope.  That would be Korean keyboards.

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • All the truth in the world is held in stories.
« Reply #83 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 13:30:02 »

I think he's just slightly more aggressive with his posts than the average GH user.
null

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #84 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 13:33:53 »
The big thing, I think, is that if you use a HHKB then you think you're l33t or other people think you are l33t.
If you use one with no legends printed, then you are even more l33t.
And being l33t is not just the same as being part of a clique - it is about (imagining that you) being among the elite in computer proficiency.

Other than that, it is about preference to the layout. It is perfect for some programs under Unix, if you are used to older keyboards with Unix layout without any useless cruft. That is why the designer had chosen the layout - he was an old Sun user, and the first HHKB worked only on Sun.

Just because you drank the kool-aid doesn't mean the Novatouch is a crap board. Build quality is much better than HHKB, which must be the only board over $200 to not even include a metal plate.
BTW. Kinesis Advantage also has a plastic "plate" where the switches are mounted. Plastic isn't worse than metal - just different.

Those who paid for it get the Stockholm syndrome.
Wrongful analogy. HHKB users don't phone the police and complain about how the negotiations are being done when their Happy Hacking keyboards are holding them hostage ... because keyboards can't hold their users hostage.
🍉

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #85 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 13:36:15 »

I don't have my Type-S yet, but comparing a silenced Realforce 87U to a standard HHKB, there's not much difference in terms of feel. The silenced Topre switch is a bit softer on the upstroke due to the "landing pad," but it's not so great that you'd notice.

That being said, if you're happy with your standard HHKB, I'd say it's not worth the extra money to move to the Type-S.

To anyone who's interested in the Type-S, now is a great time to look into getting one. With the Yen weak against the US Dollar, Type-S boards are available from Amazon Japan for around $250 give or take. Even with proxy and shipping fees, you'll save a lot of money versus buying from fleBay or EliteKeyboards.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #86 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 13:54:30 »
I just find it completely baffling that some people can't just go "Hey, I don't like the HHKB (Topre), but you do, and you are also willing to pay what it costs. That's cool and doesn't threaten or affect me in any way".

Why so many people feel the need to assert and project themselves on to others as if other people's choices somehow threaten their own sense of self.

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #87 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 13:55:01 »

I don't have my Type-S yet, but comparing a silenced Realforce 87U to a standard HHKB, there's not much difference in terms of feel. The silenced Topre switch is a bit softer on the upstroke due to the "landing pad," but it's not so great that you'd notice.

That being said, if you're happy with your standard HHKB, I'd say it's not worth the extra money to move to the Type-S.

To anyone who's interested in the Type-S, now is a great time to look into getting one. With the Yen weak against the US Dollar, Type-S boards are available from Amazon Japan for around $250 give or take. Even with proxy and shipping fees, you'll save a lot of money versus buying from fleBay or EliteKeyboards.
Got mine 248 shipped from PFU Direct while Tenso had their free shipping promotion going on. Would have paid the same price to get a non Type-S from EK.
null

Offline saturnotaku

« Reply #88 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 14:03:46 »
Got mine 248 shipped from PFU Direct while Tenso had their free shipping promotion going on. Would have paid the same price to get a non Type-S from EK.

There you go. By the way, did you get my PM regarding the Realforce keycaps you had posted about in the classifieds?

Offline Sygaldry

• Edema Ruh
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #89 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 14:12:21 »

There you go. By the way, did you get my PM regarding the Realforce keycaps you had posted about in the classifieds?
Oh shoot. It must have gotten buried in my inbox, just saw it now  :'( my bad!

Already picked up the keys I needed, sorry!
null

Offline Tyrosh22

« Reply #90 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 16:10:49 »
I just find it completely baffling that some people can't just go "Hey, I don't like the HHKB (Topre), but you do, and you are also willing to pay what it costs. That's cool and doesn't threaten or affect me in any way".

Why so many people feel the need to assert and project themselves on to others as if other people's choices somehow threaten their own sense of self.

This.

I started this thread because I wanted to find out why people (and to me it seemed like quite a few) on this board like HHKB boards. I guess I should have seen it coming that asking such a question inevitably leads to people bashing HHKB boards/users - just like asking "why do you like your iPhone?" leads to people commenting on how iPhones are too expensive and use an inferior OS and whatnot.
It is perfectly fine to state why you dislike a board (or anything for that matter) after trying it, saying: well, this and that I don't like - guess it's not my thing then. But why all this bashing?
If it were anyplace else I might understand people saying "you're paying 250+ bucks for a keyboard - what the hell is wrong with you?", but here? In a keyboard enthusiast community? Live and let live, guys!
Meow.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #91 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 16:56:44 »

The title of the OP implies these boards to be intrinsically great, that motivates people who does not think the same to express their views. A title in the line of "why do you like the HHKB" would be a more balanced call for people to share their experiences. By the way, do you remember threads in the line of "why are MX boards so great"? That calls some controversy, so you are harvesting what you sow.

There are some facts about the HHKB that makes it a fine 60% board, for example the layout, that takes advantage of keys located at more intelligent places than the standard, like control, and backspace. Also, it splits the extremely long right shift and backspace to get three additional one unit spots. The empty spaces at the bottom look elegant.

However, it also has some compromises that does not keep its high end nature according with its price bracket. The ABS spacebar, its lack of programmability, The flimsy construction - here some like that its very light -

For keyboard aficionados like GH members the lack of alternative caps may be in detriment of customizability. Of course who needs extra caps if it comes with nice colored PBT ones. But again, we are a special bread of users, not the mainstream joe that keeps everything in stock form.

In any case calling something "so great" will give you some emotional responses. 

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #92 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 17:12:36 »

I have nothing against you, you gucci to me man.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Tyrosh22

« Reply #93 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 18:23:52 »

The title of the OP implies these boards to be intrinsically great, that motivates people who does not think the same to express their views. A title in the line of "why do you like the HHKB" would be a more balanced call for people to share their experiences. By the way, do you remember threads in the line of "why are MX boards so great"? That calls some controversy, so you are harvesting what you sow.

There are some facts about the HHKB that makes it a fine 60% board, for example the layout, that takes advantage of keys located at more intelligent places than the standard, like control, and backspace. Also, it splits the extremely long right shift and backspace to get three additional one unit spots. The empty spaces at the bottom look elegant.

However, it also has some compromises that does not keep its high end nature according with its price bracket. The ABS spacebar, its lack of programmability, The flimsy construction - here some like that its very light -

For keyboard aficionados like GH members the lack of alternative caps may be in detriment of customizability. Of course who needs extra caps if it comes with nice colored PBT ones. But again, we are a special bread of users, not the mainstream joe that keeps everything in stock form.

In any case calling something "so great" will give you some emotional responses.

I do see your point, should have gone for a more neutral title indeed.  :-[
Meow.

Offline swathe

« Reply #94 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 19:51:16 »
It's hard for people like me who live nowhere near probably anyone who even owns one to try it out. People on the net either think it's the bees knees or totally over rated and not too many people in the middle. I'd love to try one and have come close to pulling the trigger on one a few times. All I really have is the option to buy, then if I don't like it sell it.
DAS Professional MX Blue
Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 Edition MX Blue

Linux + Emacs

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #95 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 20:36:55 »
It's hard for people like me who live nowhere near probably anyone who even owns one to try it out. People on the net either think it's the bees knees or totally over rated and not too many people in the middle. I'd love to try one and have come close to pulling the trigger on one a few times. All I really have is the option to buy, then if I don't like it sell it.

That is true for most of us I think, but you cannot really lose out. If you don't like it and resell it, you will have had a new experience of the hhkb layout and topre switches, and you won't lose too much money!

Offline swathe

« Reply #96 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 21:02:40 »
That is true for most of us I think, but you cannot really lose out. If you don't like it and resell it, you will have had a new experience of the hhkb layout and topre switches, and you won't lose too much money!

Yeah I think that's it. I've never typed on Topre but the HHKB layout is definitely an attractive proposition for me as an Emacs user.
DAS Professional MX Blue
Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 Edition MX Blue

Linux + Emacs

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #97 on: Wed, 04 February 2015, 21:17:54 »

I do see your point, should have gone for a more neutral title indeed.  :-[

Apply your sense of humor to the situation, enjoy the conversation and get fun. Many discussions here are no more than funny chats. Those that take them too seriously may get frustrated. Do not let GH to suck you into its reality distortion field.

Offline steve.v

« Reply #98 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 07:43:11 »
Personal preference really.
1 year with cherries: Plastic and loud
2 weeks with HHKB type-S: Smooth, silent and sturdy.

IMO Topres are what rubberdome keyboards should have been.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #99 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 08:02:08 »
Personal preference really.
1 year with cherries: Plastic and loud
2 weeks with HHKB type-S: Smooth, silent and sturdy.

IMO Topres are what rubberdome keyboards should have been.

Rubber Dome boards were adopted for the sake of cost reductions, the capacitive technology on Topre boards is too expensive, thus no, Topre are not what rubber dome boards should have been.