Author Topic: Any advice on a slow keyboard? *solved*  (Read 2272 times)

Offline Lazerxzz

Any advice on a slow keyboard? *solved*
« on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 15:15:19 »
Model is Noppoo choc mini anyways..........

The USB speed says slow and keys won't register if they are pressed and released faster than 40ms. Any suggestions on what is wrong with it? IT uses NKRO over USB if that affects anything. Also I know it's the keyboard because if I use my razer black widow ultimate I can get results similar to this

« Last Edit: Mon, 09 February 2015, 17:12:48 by Lazerxzz »
Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Tactile

Re: Any advice on a slow keyboard?
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 15:32:56 »
There are 4 USB speed standards
Low speed (1.5 Mbits/sec)
High speed (12 Mbits/sec)
Full speed (480 Mbitys/sec)
Super speed (USB 3)

"USB Speed: Low" is reporting the connection interface speed. This interface speed is quite common for USB keyboards & mice. I don't think that's where your problem lies and you can't do anything about the interface speed, anyway.
REΛLFORCE

Offline Lazerxzz

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 15:42:56 »
Super speed (USB 3)

"USB Speed: Low" is reporting the connection interface speed. This interface speed is quite common for USB keyboards & mice. I don't think that's where your problem lies and you can't do anything about the interface speed, anyway.

Mhmmk. I thought that would maybe have something to do with it because it's being quite "slow" XD

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 03:09:00 »
It's just running in "Low speed" USB mode which is plenty fast enough for any keyboard.

IMHO, it's just a crappy firmware implementation.

IIRC, you can use Fn+F10 and Fn+F11 to adjust the debounce time and maybe find a setting that works better for you.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 03:21:40 »
I have never used one, but I think that it might have a setting to change to Full Speed.
I have seen that Noppoo Choc Mini allows you to change the debouncing speed. I find it weird that they would support fast debouncing but not full speed USB.

By the way, Noppoo Choc Mini has been reported to draw very little power, which would make it more interesting for use with battery-operated computers. The slow speed could explain how it does that. It draws only around 9mW while many other keyboards tend to draw over ten times that - topped by the HHKB which could draw as much as 600 mW because of its built-in USB hub.

Super speed (USB 3)
You have got High speed and Full speed mixed up. USB keyboards use only Low or Full speed. High Speed is for data transfers such as reading from an optical drive, etc.
🍉

Offline Lazerxzz

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 05:49:44 »
It's just running in "Low speed" USB mode which is plenty fast enough for any keyboard.

IMHO, it's just a crappy firmware implementation.

IIRC, you can use Fn+F10 and Fn+F11 to adjust the debounce time and maybe find a setting that works better for you.

I've tried that, making the debounce  higher makes it worse and no matter how many times I press it lower I can't get it any lower than 40MS :/
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 February 2015, 05:52:31 by Lazerxzz »

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 15:58:14 »
Eeek... That's just poor firmware / controller. Yuck. I don't think there's anything you can do to improve that other than changing the controller which is not really feasible on that board IMO. Sorry.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline Lazerxzz

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 17:09:53 »
Eeek... That's just poor firmware / controller. Yuck. I don't think there's anything you can do to improve that other than changing the controller which is not really feasible on that board IMO. Sorry.
Okay thank you :) Just going to buy a new keyboard and keep the keycaps / switches thanks everyone for advice