Author Topic: Typewriter Calculator (concept)  (Read 4349 times)

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
    • My keyboard page (German)
Typewriter Calculator (concept)
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 20 August 2009, 04:51:01 »
lol...
This is ... interesting.
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline sixty

• http://deskthority.net
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 20 August 2009, 08:01:20 »
Very cool. Shame "useless art stuff" like this always costs a fortune.

Offline rdjack21

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 20 August 2009, 09:29:09 »
I think that is cool. Very retro
Keyboards
Topre Capacitive: Realforce 87U, Realforce 86U, HHKB Pro 2, Topre MD01B0, Topre HE0100, Sun Short Type, OEM NEO CS (x2), NISSHO Electronics KB106DE
Buckling Spring: IBM Model M Space Saver (1291472), Unicomp Customizer x 2
Cherry Brown: Filco FKBN87M/EB, Compaq MX11800
Black Alps: ABS M1
Not so great boards Rare Spring over dome OKI, Sun rack keyboard

Trackballs - Trackman Wheel (3), Trackman marble (2)
Keyboards I still want to get - Happy Hacking Keyboard Pro 2 the White version, Realforce 23U number pad in black and maybe white, μTRON ergo board with Topre switches.
Previously owned - [size=0]SiiG MiniTouch (White Alps), Scorpius M10 (Blue Cherry), IBM Model M13[/size]

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
  • Board Chow EXTRAORDINAIRE
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 02:49:03 »
WOW! That is a thing of beauty! Makes me wanna go out and make one, but then I am reminded that even though I don't have much of a life...I do still have one =P

Although it is retro in looks and function it does have that cool 2001 a Space Odyssey feel about it.  

test-
... just to see if I can figure out how to post a pic...

well that didn't work =S
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 August 2009, 02:50:45 by clickclack »
862+ keyboards and counting!   R.I.P.ster          Vendor link ->Clack Factory

Offline JBert

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 03:14:40 »
I love how they nailed the retro look, but seriously, this thing is obsolete from the moment it is produced...
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 03:30:15 »
Quote from: clickclack;110972
test-
... just to see if I can figure out how to post a pic...

well that didn't work =S

You still have to drag it in and put IMG tags around it.
Like this:
Hardware in signatures clutters Google search results. There should be a field in the profile for that (again).

This message was probably typed on a vintage G80-3000 with blues. Double-shots, baby. :D

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 04:35:14 »
hmmm... lets see how embarrassed I can get :S
I don't even know what any of that means...CRAP! *quickly runs off to do extensive google searches*

Thanks for trying to help,( I really appreciate it) but I dont even know what to drag, or where to drag it to, nor do I even know what an IMG tag is....eeeek! I am a really cool person honestly;) I just have apparently a bunch to learn *gulp*
geez, I hope I am not being a bother.

Offline JBert

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 06:24:16 »
It's easy once you know how to do it though.

For example, go to your "project Board Chow" post. Hover over the attachment link and right-click it. Select "Copy link location" or whatever your browser has to copy a link instead of just following it.

Now go to the thread you want to reply in and start writing your reply up to the point where you want to insert your picture.
In the toolbar at the top of the message editor is an icon to insert pictures. It sits right beneath the undo button and looks like a yellow picture with two mountains and a litte sun in it.
Click it and a window will pop up. Select everything in the text box, right click the selected text and choose Paste. Now click ok, and there should now be something like this in your text:
Code: [Select]
[IMG]http://geekhack.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=3927&d=1250843768[IMG]
When you now click the "Preview Post" button, your image is included in your text.

Also note that you can also include images when you haven't posted your message yet. If you attached any files using the "Manage attachments" tool, you'll see that the attached files are shown beneath the button. You can copy these links and add them to your post as explained above.

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline clickclack

• * Maker
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 07:01:29 »
Quote from: JBert;110996
It's easy once you know how to do it though.

Aint that the truth!!!
Thanks so much, I really appreciate it:whoo:
That little bit of help made staying up all night trying to figure this out worth it!
This really is a courteous and generous community!

Now back to our previously scheduled topic...(haahaa
anyone remember adding machines? this new age (yet retro/vintage) type writer/calculater/adding machine reminds me of them (but in a much cooler way)...

woohoo! that pic worked too...yay! It's the little things that really complete me.
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 August 2009, 07:03:40 by clickclack »

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 07:38:42 »
Speaking of mechanical calculators, I love this one, the Curta:

Expensive, unfortunately.
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 August 2009, 07:50:04 by lowpoly »

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 08:26:52 »
Quote from: lowpoly;111007
Speaking of mechanical calculators, I love this one, the Curta:

Show Image

Expensive, unfortunately.

So that must be what the Babbage computational machine was supposed to be.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline JBert

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 09:55:27 »
The article description smells of soap opera (even though it seems to be correct).

The storage list:

[/SIZE]

Offline keyb_gr

• Cherrified user
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 10:05:29 »
That was a very interesting read. Thanks, lowpoly!

Such complex mechanical devices are real time machines. You tend to learn a lot about how people were thinking and working back then (not from the things themselves but rather literature).