Author Topic: First "professional" keyboard... need recommendations. Majestouch FKBN104M?  (Read 3451 times)

Offline sofakng

Hey folks... I'm a software developer but I'm looking for a new keyboard to use at my house which is primarily used for gaming.

I'm really only a casual gamer so I don't need anything crazy but I want a good and solid keyboard and I don't mind paying for it.  (Up to about $130ish)

I've been using a five or six year old wireless Dell keyboard and it's served me well but it's finally falling apart so I want something that will last me a long time.

From the sound of it (no pun intended) keyboards are mostly personal preference but the idea of a "clicky" (mechanical) keyboard does sound really good and since I'm willing to spend the money I guess the keyboard better have N-key rollover support.  I'd also like a full keyboard (104/105 keys) and don't care at all about "media keys" or any of that garbage.

At first I was thinking about the Das Keyboard because I've heard of it but after reading reviews and hearing about the N-key rollover problem (or whatever it was), I think I'm going to stay away from it.

Next on my list was the Deck Legend keyboard.  However, they seem to cost about $160 and I really don't need the backlighting so it seems like a bit of a waste.

That leaves me with the Majestouch Tactile Touch (FKBN104M/EB) keyboard.

It has cherry brown switches and I have no idea if I want that versus cherry blue.  I guess I don't want something too loud but I really have no idea if I want quiet or not.  Maybe something in-between?  I really don't know.

I'm also unsure of the difference between "tactile" and "linear".  It seems like most people prefer "tactile" so I'm inclined to get that one.

Thanks so much for any advice!

Offline takasta

First "professional" keyboard... need recommendations. Majestouch FKBN104M?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 13:28:04 »
The Das keyboard has got alotta hate on geekhack. I recently purchased mine and I have no problems with it, only with the fact that it only works via. USB 1.1 and not directly USB 2.0 in which you need a USB Y cable adapter which they should provide you with one. I however did not get one with my order but am waiting for DAS to send me 1. In the mean time, i'm just connecting it via a 1.1 USB hub which enables it to work fine. YAY. I type at around 85-90wpm and sometimes peak at 100+ and i absolutely cannot feel the rollover problems and typos that people have been complaining about. I assume that if you type at an average of 120wpm, then maybe you'll be experiencing the typos quite frequently. Although when you type asdf together, you would get the exact same pattern over and over, its really not that bad of a problem although would be something nice for them to fix. Some people were complaining about the "teh" problem. I tried to type "the" as fast as i could and I could never get "teh". If you type "teh", i'm almost 98% sure that you're actually typing "teh" most of the time haha. The build quality of the DAS isn't all THAT great though, but definately looks shiny. Typing on ti feels like a breeze though definately.

Backlighting in my opinion seems like a waste because i was just never a fan of it I guess. Typing is typing when it comes down to it, and theres no point in wasting time and staring at your keyboard for oddly long periods of time.

In terms of build quality and n-key rollover, FILCO doesn't contain any of those problems and has a very high build quality to it. If you're gonna be doing more typing than gaming, then I would suggest getting FILCO blue cherry if you can. They just feel better typing on for longer periods of time. If your'e gonna be doing mostly mouse work, gaming, occasional typing, the brown FILCO's are probably gonna be more suitable for you.

Hope that helps.
Cherry MX Blue DAS III, FKBN87MC/CB
Cherry MX Brown FKB104M/EB
Topre Capacitative Realforce UB103

Offline xyzzy

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 13:48:18 »
As usual, the advice for people that want to taste what a mechanical keyboard feels like is to take some time to try out different boards.

If you're going to use it exclusively for gaming (thus bashing the keys and not needing tactile feedback) I'd go with a linear or soft tactile switch. The clicks may just annoy you as you're bottoming out anyway.

If I were you I'd point my browser to eBay and start hunting the ingredients for the Geekhack Starter Kit:
- n.1 IBM Model M (buckling spring, clicky, medium-high force)
- n.1 Dell AT101W (black Alps, soft tactile, light clicks, medium force switch)
- n.1 Compaq MX11800 (brown Cherry, soft tactile, light force)

Once you've used them for a while and you've decided what type of switch you like most you can sell the boards you don't plan to use.

IBM Model F62 (Ellipse's) • PFU HHKB Pro Type S Hybrid • PFU HHKB Pro • Leopold FC660C • IBM Model M SSK 1391472 • IBM Model M SSK UNI04C6 • IBM Model M 1391405 (x4) • Cherry MX 1800 Compact (blue Cherry) • Cherry MX 11900 Touchboard (brown Cherry) • Dell AT102W (black Alps) • Apple Extended Keyboard II (cream Alps) • Acer 6312-TA (black Acer) • Unikey KWD-601 (white Cherry)

Offline sofakng

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 14:17:24 »
Thanks for the replies!

Maybe it's not a bad idea for me to try out a few keyboards to see what I like...

If I order a Model M, should I get any particular model?  I see a bunch of different kinds on eBay.

Also, I wouldn't mind trying out a brown cherry keyboard like the one you mentioned below but I can't find any for sale on eBay.  Are there any other ones I can look for?

How about cheap cherry blue keyboards that I can try?

Lastly, why did you recommend the Dell keyboard?  Is it just because I might like it or because it's comparable to something newer that I might like?

Maybe I should try finding somebody who will lend/ship me a bunch of boards that I can try.  I'd be willing to give some money as collateral but I think I'll have a hard time finding somebody :)

Thanks a ton for the help!!

Offline JBert

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 14:20:31 »
Quote from: takasta;111112
The Das keyboard has got alotta hate on geekhack.  [snip]
YAY. I type at around 85-90wpm and sometimes peak at 100+ and i absolutely cannot feel the rollover problems and typos that people have been complaining about. I assume that if you type at an average of 120wpm, then maybe you'll be experiencing the typos quite frequently.
Are you sure about that?

Below are some examples where you characters are swapped, although this could as well be a "human error". For your consideration:

Quote from: takasta;111112
[snip]Typing on ti feels like a breeze though definately.
[snip]
If your'e gonna be doing mostly mouse work, gaming, occasional typing, the brown FILCO's are probably gonna be more suitable for you.
Error or flaw? You decide.
I hope I didn't cause Das Paranoia though.  :-)

Quote from: sofakng;111124
Maybe I should try finding somebody who will lend/ship me a bunch of boards that I can try.  I'd be willing to give some money as collateral but I think I'll have a hard time finding somebody :)
It's really sad we don't have a "test kit". Sure would take some time to assemble, but it would at least give some people a clue what different keys feel like. We'd only need to find a way so you can actually use the keys for a while for typing.
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 August 2009, 14:26:10 by JBert »
IBM Model F XT + Soarer's USB Converter || Cherry G80-3000/Clears

The storage list:
IBM Model F AT || Cherry G80-3000/Blues || Compaq MX11800 (Cherry brown, bizarre layout) || IBM KB-8923 (model M-style RD) || G81-3010 Hxx || BTC 5100C || G81-3000 Sxx || Atari keyboard (?)

Currently ignored by: nobody?

Disclaimer: we don\'t help you save money on [strike]keyboards[/strike] hardware, rather we make you feel less bad about your expense.
[/SIZE]

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 14:40:19 »
Welcome to Geek Hack, sofakng!

Lowpoly, it looks like someone took your name. ;)

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 15:19:59 »
The Dell's dirt cheap to get new in box, currently $20 with free shipping on ebay.

Although it's not my favorite keyboard, it definitely feels solid, and is probably the best value for an unused mechanical keyboard. The feel is as liked as much as buckling springs, or Cherry switches, but it really does depend on the person. The switches are almost like a low-profile switch with twice as much over-travel as compared to a normal switch.

In my experience, the buckling springs are the most satisfying switches, but they are difficult to find unused, except for ordering from Unicomp.

The difficulty is always finding what you like most.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline sofakng

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 17:08:09 »
Quote from: timw4mail;111150
The Dell's dirt cheap to get new in box, currently $20 with free shipping on ebay.

Really?  I don't see anything but really old used ones...

Can you send me a link?

Offline xyzzy

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 17:44:37 »
If I order a Model M, should I get any particular model?  I see a bunch of different kinds on eBay.

As a start, go for the classic and more common 1391401 (or later 42H1292 Lexmark model). Keep an eye on the "eBay finds" section, there have been reports lately of some NIB Model M sold for around $20-$30.

Also, I wouldn't mind trying out a brown cherry keyboard like the one you mentioned below but I can't find any for sale on eBay.  Are there any other ones I can look for?

Your cheapest option is the Compaq MX11800. There are quite a few on eBay right now: http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=compaq+%2811800%2C+mx11800%29&_sacat=0&_dmpt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&_odkw=compaq+%2811800%2C+mx11800%29&_osacat=0

How about cheap cherry blue keyboards that I can try?

I think the cheapest option would be a Scorpius M10, but they're not very easy to find. New ones cost around 60$ and may have quality issues (search the forum for more info). The other option is the DAS II or DAS III.

Lastly, why did you recommend the Dell keyboard?  Is it just because I might like it or because it's comparable to something newer that I might like?

The switches of the Dell AT101/AT102 are very nice and could serve you well. Also there are some NIB keyboards right now on eBay for $20 (or best offer), which is a steal: http://search.ebay.com/390076487832

IBM Model F62 (Ellipse's) • PFU HHKB Pro Type S Hybrid • PFU HHKB Pro • Leopold FC660C • IBM Model M SSK 1391472 • IBM Model M SSK UNI04C6 • IBM Model M 1391405 (x4) • Cherry MX 1800 Compact (blue Cherry) • Cherry MX 11900 Touchboard (brown Cherry) • Dell AT102W (black Alps) • Apple Extended Keyboard II (cream Alps) • Acer 6312-TA (black Acer) • Unikey KWD-601 (white Cherry)

Offline lowpoly

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 18:07:04 »
Quote from: itlnstln;111139
Lowpoly, it looks like someone took your name. ;)

:-)

Miniguru thread at GH // The Apple M0110 Today

Offline sofakng

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 20:10:00 »
Ok, I've ordered a restored IBM Model M 1391401 for $28 shipped.  Not bad I guess?  I don't know.

I'll keep an eye on those MX11800 auctions but they don't end for a few days...

As for the Scorpius M10, I've found it for $60 shipped (just like you said) but that might be a bit much for a keyboard I just intend to test.  It would be really great if I could find a Das Keyboard for around $60 because I would actually like to own one and it would be great to get a feel for the keys.

Lastly, regarding the Dell AT101/AT102, the auctions you linked to is for a "Dell 104-Key PS2 6P USA Keyboard NEW 227KN".  I thought you said I should get an "AT101/AT102"... I'm probably just not understanding the models/versions though :)

Offline takasta

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 20:21:10 »
Quote from: JBert;111126
Are you sure about that?

Below are some examples where you characters are swapped, although this could as well be a "human error". For your consideration:

Error or flaw? You decide.
I hope I didn't cause Das Paranoia though.  :-)

It's really sad we don't have a "test kit". Sure would take some time to assemble, but it would at least give some people a clue what different keys feel like. We'd only need to find a way so you can actually use the keys for a while for typing.

haha, if you were wondering, i was actually typing on my FILCO for all of this, and the mistakes tend to be pretty much the same here and there, its just if i decided to correct them along the way or not lol. I think its many times pschologically that people think that the board is making the mistake if the person is actually not typing on 105+ wpm. Most of the mistakes i know i've made the mistake myself with the das. It's not like you wouldn't make mistakes with FILCO or any other keyboard sometimes and sometimes not correct those as well. Just my 2 cents.
Cherry MX Blue DAS III, FKBN87MC/CB
Cherry MX Brown FKB104M/EB
Topre Capacitative Realforce UB103

Offline timw4mail

• https://timshomepage.net
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 20:25:18 »
Quote from: sofakng;111202
Ok, I've ordered a restored IBM Model M 1391401 for $28 shipped.  Not bad I guess?  I don't know.

I'll keep an eye on those MX11800 auctions but they don't end for a few days...

As for the Scorpius M10, I've found it for $60 shipped (just like you said) but that might be a bit much for a keyboard I just intend to test.  It would be really great if I could find a Das Keyboard for around $60 because I would actually like to own one and it would be great to get a feel for the keys.

Lastly, regarding the Dell AT101/AT102, the auctions you linked to is for a "Dell 104-Key PS2 6P USA Keyboard NEW 227KN".  I thought you said I should get an "AT101/AT102"... I'm probably just not understanding the models/versions though :)

It is the Dell AT101W, it just is being referred to by a different model number. That's the auction where I got mine.
Buckling Springs IBM Model F AT, New Model F 77, Unicomp New Model M
Clicky iOne Scorpius M10, OCN-branded Ducky DK-9008-C, Blackmore Nocturna, Redragon Kumara K552-1, Qtronix Scorpius Keypad, Chicony KB-5181(Monterey)
Tactile Apple AEKII (Cream damped ALPS), Filco FKBN91M/JB (Japanese Tenkeyless), Cherry G84-5200, Cherry G84-4100LPAUS, Datalux Spacesaver(Cherry ML), Redragon Devarajas K556 RGB, Newmen GM711, Poker II (Cherry MX Clear), Logitech G910 Orion Spark, Logitech K840
Linear Lenovo Y (Gateron Red), Aluminum kiosk keyboard (Cherry MX Black)

Offline pfink

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 20:35:13 »
Quote from: sofakng;111202

The model number of the Dell is AT101W, however I think the part number on the label is 0227KN, so you may see them listed either way.

Offline watduzhkstand4

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 21:25:46 »
Filco boards are built nice and solid. I don't think you would go wrong with that. the HHKB or Realforce boards would be of a different purpose than gaming IMHO. I think any FIlco board with Black Cherry MX switches and with N-Key Rollover will do the job (;
KEYBOARDS
Cherry Blue *Filco Tenkeyless w/ blank keys* w/ red ESC key thanks to Megarat
Cherry Red Noppoo Choc Mini
IBM Model M 1391401 12/15/88
Siig Minitouch w/ White Alps

SOLD
HHKB Pro 2 white w/ blank keys red ESC key and blank WASD keys
HHKB L-2
Cherry Brown Compaq mx11800
Dell AT101W
Cherry Red Leopold 104-key Otaku FC500RR/ABN

Offline huha

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 21 August 2009, 21:34:56 »
Basically, the Das II is a G80-3000 with blank keycaps. I'd go for a Unicomp USB buckling spring keyboard or the weird G80-3000. Their price is decent and you're getting sturdy, quality keyboards for a good price.
Neither Model Ms/Unicomp boards nor the G80-3000 features NKRO, however. I don't think that's an issue, though.

-huha
Unicomp Endurapro 105 (blank keycaps, BS) // Cherry G80-3000LSCDE-2 (blues, modded to green MX) // Cherry G80-3000LAMDE-0 (blacks, 2x) // Cherry G80-11900LTMDE-0 (blacks, 2x) // Compaq G80-11801 (browns) // Epson Q203A (Fujitsu Peerless) // IBM Model M2 (BS) // Boscom AS400 Terminal Emulator (OEM\'d Unicomp, BS, 2x) // Dell AT102DW (black Alps) // Mechanical Touch (chinese BS) Acer 6312-KW (Acer mechanics on membrane) // Cherry G84-4100 (ML) // Cherry G80-1000HAD (NKRO, blacks)