Author Topic: Buffing out shine  (Read 1351 times)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
Buffing out shine
« on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 23:58:08 »
Can it be done, even theoretically. Does anyone have any crazy ideas on how you might buff out shine on caps?

I was thinking a rubbing with rough-grain sandpaper, or even sandblasting. I have had mild success with Magic Eraser (that is to say, it's better than a worn super shiny cap)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Re: Buffing out shine
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 00:05:37 »
If legend retention is not important, https://www.facebook.com/CerakoteFirearmCoatings.

It can be done with room temp air cure.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 00:13:02 »
If legend retention is not important, https://www.facebook.com/CerakoteFirearmCoatings.

It can be done with room temp air cure.

I have actually experimented with pistol grip on caps, and it works pretty well... but doesn't look pretty. Some sort of coating could potentially be a solution, but I am focusing more on keeping the cap as close to OEM as possible. Think more double shots where you don't have to worry so much. Can you explain air curing a little more?

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 00:15:42 »
If I understand correctly there is no oven required for the air cure.

What about doing a clear coat of that stuff before they get shiny?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 25 February 2015, 06:27:44 »
Technically, buffing will produce more shine as the process is meant to be a final polishing to smooth out the surface, but whatever.

You can't restore the correct surface texture easily (would probably require something akin to remolding the cap), but you can "rough up" the surface in a few different ways. I prefer to keep the shine, shows the board is actually used and adds some character, I feel.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.