Author Topic: Hello there!  (Read 2463 times)

Offline Henpei

Hello there!
« on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 14:45:09 »
Hello all!

Been a lurking member for a few months now since I found out about this crazy hobby.

To be perfectly honest with you, I have been one of those who kinda didnt care at all what keyboard I was using, as long as I could type on it. Then I saw a thread on a Swedish techsite (Sweclockers) about keyboards. Like I was struck by lightning I instantly wanted to get my own keyboard.... or 3...

Right now Im sitting with an old Dell media keyboard with membranes and have so far only been able to try out red, black and brown cherry switches. To me they have all been way to soft so I must continue my search.
Been looking for a filco but Im pretty poor so might go for a QFR if I can find one with nice switches. Or I might just buy a japanese Filco from Amazon.co.jp. They are not that expensive if my calculations were correct.

Tadaa!
東京特許許可局

Offline evangs

• * Maker
  • TheVan
Re: Hello there!
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 17:06:56 »
hello and welcome!

you should give mx-clears a try, they are like browns only stiffer.  I like them pretty well.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 05:25:36 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

It's amazing how long we use old rubber dome keyboard for without realising what a world of joy there is for our fingers in a mechanical keyboard.

Red, black and brown should give you a fair impression of half the switch types (i.e. liners (brown is pretty linear)).  Next up is to try some blues or greens, if you can.  And even some clears.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Henpei

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 03:45:16 »
hello and welcome!

you should give mx-clears a try, they are like browns only stiffer.  I like them pretty well.

Welcome to Geekhack!

It's amazing how long we use old rubber dome keyboard for without realising what a world of joy there is for our fingers in a mechanical keyboard.

Red, black and brown should give you a fair impression of half the switch types (i.e. liners (brown is pretty linear)).  Next up is to try some blues or greens, if you can.  And even some clears.

Thank you!

Atleast the rubber dome keyboard I got have a metal mounting bracket hehe. Pretty heavy and nice. Just wish it wasnt rubber dome. XD

Yes I didnt really find red and black to my liking at all, brown on the other hand was kind of nice. Just a bit to soft. Hoping I can get the chance to try out clear, green and blue but we will see.
Would it be worth buying a switch tester considering I dont have a lot of money as it is??
東京特許許可局

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 23 March 2015, 05:05:24 »
Thank you!

Atleast the rubber dome keyboard I got have a metal mounting bracket hehe. Pretty heavy and nice. Just wish it wasnt rubber dome. XD

Yes I didnt really find red and black to my liking at all, brown on the other hand was kind of nice. Just a bit to soft. Hoping I can get the chance to try out clear, green and blue but we will see.
Would it be worth buying a switch tester considering I dont have a lot of money as it is??

The CM switch tester is probably one of the better ones for giving you a feel of what each switch in an actual keyboard feels like.

http://techkeys.us/collections/accessories/products/cm-switch-tester

If you prefer tactile switches but a bit stiffer, MX clears might be the switch for you!  Many say that browns feel gritty in comparison to clears!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Henpei

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 05:58:28 »
The CM switch tester is probably one of the better ones for giving you a feel of what each switch in an actual keyboard feels like.

If you prefer tactile switches but a bit stiffer, MX clears might be the switch for you!  Many say that browns feel gritty in comparison to clears!

Yes that tester looks very nice indeed. :) Thank you for the tip!!

Yeah Im think clear might be the switch for me. Atleast I hope it will be since I have not tested it out yet hehe. XD Its such a shame that most keyboards are only sold with red, black, brown or blues. :/

PS. sorry for a late response!
Would trying to build your own keyboard be to much for a noob? Been trying to fond plastic cases but all I have found so far have been aluminium and they have been way to expensive for me. >_<

btw a few days ago I got my hands on an IBM model M (1391411). Its extremely nice even tho its missing a key and the cable atm. :/ will see about getting it fixed so I can use it hehe.
東京特許許可局

Offline Ludovician

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 07:58:59 »
If other options fail, you can get a replacement key and cable from Unicomp. Unfortunately the international shipping cost even for very small orders is $23 USD...
Typing speed:
More
Visit the Typing Test and try!

My collection:
More
HHKB Pro 2 (Blank, white) | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S (Blank, white) | Topre Realforce 87UB silent-modded (not currently functional) | Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown) | IBM Model M 1391401 - 9th January 1991 (Bolt+Floss-modded) | Apple keyboard m0116 (Orange Alps) | Unidentified DIN Keyboard (White Alps) | ADDS 1010 (Green Alps) | AEK II (Linear-modded, USB-converted) | IBM PC-AT Model F | Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Black) | Amstrad PC2286 | BigKeys LX | IBM Model M 1391401 - 6th September 1990 | IBM Model M2 1395300 - 28th February 1991 | Leopold FC660C | Cherry G80-11802 (MX Brown) | Matias Tactile Pro (Simplfied grey Alps) | Razer Blackwidow (MX Blue) | Novatouch 55g | Focus FK-2001 (White alps) | DSE Multitech (Blue alps) | Dell AT101W (Matias quiet) | Pok3r (White w/Clears) | KBP V80 (Blue Alps)

Pending:
Infinity kit

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 08:01:47 »
Welcome to GH! Good thing you've already checked out some stuff. If I may recommend an alternative to a Filco it would be a KUL ES-87 which can be found here for much cheaper than a Filco.

I personally have one with MX Reds and I love it. Check out some of the reviews online between the two and many of them will say that the KUL is superior. Super sturdy and nice functions, and they are also selling replaceable top pieces for the housing in 3 colors (red, blue, and white) which can also be found on elitekeyboards or on amazon.

If you have any questions feel free to hit me up! Good luck and happy hunting. :cool:

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 29 March 2015, 04:23:57 »

Yes that tester looks very nice indeed. :) Thank you for the tip!!

Yeah Im think clear might be the switch for me. Atleast I hope it will be since I have not tested it out yet hehe. XD Its such a shame that most keyboards are only sold with red, black, brown or blues. :/

PS. sorry for a late response!
Would trying to build your own keyboard be to much for a noob? Been trying to fond plastic cases but all I have found so far have been aluminium and they have been way to expensive for me. >_<

btw a few days ago I got my hands on an IBM model M (1391411). Its extremely nice even tho its missing a key and the cable atm. :/ will see about getting it fixed so I can use it hehe.

Building your own keyboard is certainly possible, although it will almost certainly end up costing you a lot more than buying an off the shelf keyboard.  Parts can be sourced from many places (mostly in the US, unfortunately) and some kits are available.

Model M is great - I have three and another one on the way :)  There's not much that can stop these, apart from a very rusty plate.  Almost everything else can be replaced or repaired.  They knew how to make keyboards back then!