Author Topic: Model M 42H1292, tested, $39.99 shipped  (Read 3751 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Model M 42H1292, tested, $39.99 shipped
« on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 17:30:36 »
Here's a very late ('97) Model M 42H1292, tested and with no obvious physical flaws, on eBay for $39.99 with free U.S. shipping. It's UK-made but has the standard ANSI layout.

It's nothing very special to a collector—but if anyone just wants a genuine IBM buckling-spring keyboard for half the price of a new Unicomp, it seems like a decent deal!
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline cooldiscretion

• Convicted guilty of being totally rad.
Re: Model M 42H1292, tested, $39.99 shipped
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 18:09:51 »
So fresh and so clean. :thumb:

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 19:13:57 »
It's even made by IBM rather than Lexmark. Should be a good buy, this :) .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 17 March 2015, 19:51:19 »
Almost every dead Model M I have ever bought was a 42H made in Greennock.

On the other hand, this price is very close to the price of a set of caps alone from Unicomp or clickykeyboards, probably at least equal if you add in a half-dozen barrel inserts.
"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 00:16:40 »
tested and with no obvious physical flaws, on eBay for $39.99 with free U.S. shipping. It's UK-made but has the standard ANSI layout.

It's nothing very special to a collector—but if anyone just wants a genuine IBM buckling-spring keyboard for half the price of a new Unicomp, it seems like a decent deal!

It would be if it were Buy It Now.  But that is just the STARTING bid on the keyboard.  I'm with Fohat on this one.  I haven't had great luck with 42H boards.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 00:32:12 »
Oh, heh heh, I thought it was a BIN, actually... Sorry, must've gotten it mixed up w/another one. I don't know if there's a way to delete a topic you start. Probably not, so I'll just live in humiliation for a while. (I'm married, so I'm used to it.)

Indeed, though, as it's one of the last straggler M's produced, I didn't think the collecting community would care about it (no one's bid on it yet). I just thought someone might be interested who just wanted a good KB to use... People like that actually exist, don't they?  :?D

Quote from: fohat.digs
Almost every dead Model M I have ever bought was a 42H made in Greennock... On the other hand, this price is very close to the price of a set of caps alone from Unicomp or clickykeyboards, probably at least equal if you add in a half-dozen barrel inserts.

Certainly it's as good as a Unicomp, isn't it? An' tis made in Scotland, laddie—e kinna be that bad now, eh?
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 April 2015, 17:42:45 by ander »
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 01:21:07 »
The difference is like night and day.  The original controllers actually connect to the center ribbon seen in the first picture. (This actually IS a Greenrock terminal board from 1999, and has the hook for the 42H controller LOL!)

The second picture shows where the ribbon cables connect to the SDL controller.  Easy enough to see how it connects.

The third and fourth picture is just where the 42H controller is.  Yup.  That's all there is to it.  A little self-contained controller and LED panel all in one.  Notice the plastic hook in the first picture where the 42H controller would sit.

That controller sits at an angle (Oh I would guess about ~5 degrees) that is only being held by two small holes at the bottom of the controller sitting in two plastic nibs on the barrel frame.  The plastic "hook" on the right, is just holding the newer controller at that angle to the frame applying pressure to the contacts on the differently designed membrane that goes there.

It's a cost cutting move, but also makes for some serious issues with the keyboard not functioning properly.
Let's just say, it's not my favorite controller at all.

I hope I explained the difference well enough for everyone to understand.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 March 2015, 02:07:48 by Snowdog993 »

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 05:05:22 »
Well, there you have it then! Luckily for us, we caught you at a moment when you had time to prepare all that.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 06:59:30 »
I remember this being a Buy-It-Now listing when it was first posted, and considered buying it strictly as a parts donor.

A seller who was watching his listing might consider changing BIN to auction if he got several "watchers" in the first few hours.

"It's 110, but it doesn't feel it to me, right. If anybody goes down. Everybody was so worried yesterday about you and they never mentioned me. I'm up here sweating like a dog. They don’t think about me. This is hard work.
Do you feel the breeze? I don't want anybody going on me. We need every voter. I don't care about you. I just want your vote. I don't care."
- Donald Trump - Las Vegas 2024-06-09

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 09:50:39 »
Well, there you have it then! Luckily for us, we caught you at a moment when you had time to prepare all that.

What the heck kind of answer was that?  There is smart, and then there is smart ass.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #10 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 04:52:22 »
Quote from: ander

Quote from: Snowdog993
What the heck kind of answer was that?  There is smart, and then there is smart ass.

I meant it must've taken quite a while to assemble, write, format and post all that "evidence", didn't it? Considering your expertise, thoroughness and attention to detail, I'd guess you were a pretty busy, in-demand person in other areas of your life as well.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 04:53:08 »

I meant it must've taken quite a while to assemble, write, format and post all that "evidence", didn't it? Considering your expertise, thoroughness and attention to detail, I'd guess you were a pretty busy, in-demand person in other areas of your life as well... A lawyer, maybe?

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 09:45:25 »

I meant it must've taken quite a while to assemble, write, format and post all that "evidence", didn't it? Considering your expertise, thoroughness and attention to detail, I'd guess you were a pretty busy, in-demand person in other areas of your life as well.

I am a very busy person.  The way I took your answer was in a different context entirely.  It could be taken 2 ways.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 20 March 2015, 22:56:54 »

I meant it must've taken quite a while to assemble, write, format and post all that "evidence", didn't it? Considering your expertise, thoroughness and attention to detail, I'd guess you were a pretty busy, in-demand person in other areas of your life as well... A lawyer, maybe?

There was no need for me to get angry at you.  I'm sorry.  I took what you said the wrong way.