Author Topic: Keyboard related monthly gift box.  (Read 4198 times)

Offline NoblesseOblige

Keyboard related monthly gift box.
« on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 18:55:25 »
Gauging people's reaction to the idea of a subscription based monthly gift box that is oriented towards people like us. If anyone is familiar with something like Lootcrate, think that, but instead of random 'geek' things it is a collection of keyboard related things. For example for $20 a month a package containing a small selection of keycaps, some novelty key(s), key pullers, switch keychains, etc. is shipped to your door. A premium service could be selected which includes an exclusive artisan cap in each box.

So any thoughts? Good idea? Stupid idea? Should I stop thinking?

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
Re: Keyboard related monthly gift box.
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 19:20:10 »
It's possible that releasing products every month would be difficult with the keyboard hobby...I don't think there is enough of a variety of items to make it appealing.

Over time, signing up for multiple group buys with vague delivery dates has a similar effect lol - "surprises" in the mail ahahahaha.

Offline NoblesseOblige

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 19:31:09 »
It's possible that releasing products every month would be difficult with the keyboard hobby...I don't think there is enough of a variety of items to make it appealing.

True. It could be on a quarterly basis like quarterly.co does, to give more time.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 19:31:10 »
This is currently being discussed and considered by at least one group buy leader here.

Offline NoblesseOblige

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 19:33:38 »
This is currently being discussed and considered by at least one group buy leader here.

Could you point me to where? I didn't find anything but if it's already being discussed somewhere then I'll take myself there.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 19:34:04 »

Could you point me to where? I didn't find anything but if it's already being discussed somewhere then I'll take myself there.
Privately being discussed

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 19:34:24 »
It's neat but I don't think it is completely viable unless the items are actually unique and of some quality.
I think after a few months people are just going to get tired and cancel because they don't need a drawer full of caps and overlapping things they don't use.

Not so private anymore eh?

Offline LXXXIX

• Just remember all caps when you spell the man name
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 20:37:59 »

Some inner circle stuff going on here. What's there to hide? Personally I welcome the creative collaboration. :confused:

I've this idea for a while and come to the same conclusion that LastPilot has pointed out. It would really be something cool, but I think it would really have to be presented to a much larger audience then just PMK or some third-party vendors on here.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 20:42:30 »

Some inner circle stuff going on here. What's there to hide? Personally I welcome the creative collaboration. :confused:

I've this idea for a while and come to the same conclusion that LastPilot has pointed out. It would really be something cool, but I think it would really have to be presented to a much larger audience then just PMK or some third-party vendors on here.
Nothing to hide but it isn't my place to speak for others.

And if it isn't obvious many of us don't share our ideas because someone or some company comes along and copies them or rips them off.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 20:46:50 »
Yeah I don't think this would get many takers personally.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 21:00:54 »
Custom cable of the month club? lol

Offline LXXXIX

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 21:02:11 »

Nothing to hide but it isn't my place to speak for others.

And if it isn't obvious many of us don't share our ideas because someone or some company comes along and copies them or rips them off.

It is obvious, and I can understand the anxiety that comes from showing their idea. Money is at stake, but sometimes these ideas are larger than just profits. I've seen it exemplified here on GH more times than none where some people really goes out of their way to push for something nice for the community with nothing to gain except the satisfaction of putting smiles on peoples faces.

Anyways. there's no hard feelings here just wanted to know why so much secrecy going on. I just come here to get my keycap fix and maybe make some friends along the way. Getting my creative juices flowing is just a plus. :))

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 21:07:16 »
Custom cable of the month (or quarter) would be pretty cool, the more I think about it.. but I have no idea how viable it would be as a business.

Offline NoblesseOblige

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 21:10:47 »
Custom cable of the month (or quarter) would be pretty cool, the more I think about it.. but I have no idea how viable it would be as a business.

Probably not great if making money is your main objective. But it could be neat if you focused more on the whole club aspect.

Offline LXXXIX

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 21:12:26 »

Cables wouldn't gain the same momentum as keycaps.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 21:18:28 »
At one time there were monthly geekhack keys, I always thought those were cool.

Offline LXXXIX

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 21:22:47 »

I would love to see this resurrected. Was it just like a 1 key GB done monthly?

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 21:28:24 »

I feel like a lot of people have moved on from novelties now though. Back then there weren't nearly as many options for customising your  boards so people tended to use novelties as an accent, now that there are so many sets available they don't seem as popular.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 21:29:04 »
I mean.. I'm sure Bro or Punks or Clack or Binge or Nubs or Hotkeys or.. all of those sorts of cap makers had a key of the month club people would be interested. Not so sure about the heart key, smiley face key etc of the month club tho

Offline LXXXIX

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 21:35:02 »
I mean.. I'm sure Bro or Punks or Clack or Binge or Nubs or Hotkeys or.. all of those sorts of cap makers had a key of the month club people would be interested. Not so sure about the heart key, smiley face key etc of the month club tho

But the simple keycap keeps the cost and the manufacturing time down. It's a lower risk finaciallty for the vendors to do something simple too.

Maybe like a different emoticon every month? F-row maybe?

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 21:47:33 »
You're welcome to try it.. I wouldn't be excited about it tho :(

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 22:21:33 »
You can never have enough lube
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline LXXXIX

« Reply #22 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 07:30:10 »
You're welcome to try it.. I wouldn't be excited about it tho :(

I'm not too enthusiastic about it either. I could see it as a cheaper and faster alternative compared to custom keycaps though.

Besides, I have something else up my sleeve. :cool:

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #23 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 07:54:32 »
Keyboards are great because I always use them, constantly think about them, and have a sweet time finding the best swag.  Paying to have someone else surprise me with something I'll likely find outside of my style is the opposite of why I am into keyboards.  Heck I feel it would turn off a lot of folks because they may fancy themselves particular about what they like.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #24 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 08:36:22 »
I'd be into this idea. I think it'd be a lot of fun. Or we could borrow from DT and do a surprise box type of deal. Where they send around a box of goodies, you take one thing you'd like, and add something else.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #25 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 08:40:14 »

I'd be into this idea. I think it'd be a lot of fun. Or we could borrow from DT and do a surprise box type of deal. Where they send around a box of goodies, you take one thing you'd like, and add something else.
The surprise box is a neat idea, it was fun participating in.

Once I get moved I could put something together probably.

Offline LXXXIX

« Reply #26 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 08:57:09 »

What is it arrives that someone doesn't really have anything nice to pass on to the next person? Will there be any way to gauge someone's "goods"?

Sounds like a lot of fun with the right people involved.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #27 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 08:58:35 »

What is it arrives that someone doesn't really have anything nice to pass on to the next person? Will there be any way to gauge someone's "goods"?

Part of signing up is agreeing to have something to swap.

It's like anything else, lots of trust involved.

Offline NoblesseOblige

« Reply #28 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 09:38:12 »

That sounds like a neat idea. Do they do it often or was it a one time thing?

Offline LXXXIX

« Reply #29 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 11:34:18 »

Roger that, do you know in advance what you will be receiving or is it a surprise? Sorry if I keep pestering about this I'm just asking because i would totally be down for this.  :p

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #30 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 11:45:55 »

Roger that, do you know in advance what you will be receiving or is it a surprise? Sorry if I keep pestering about this I'm just asking because i would totally be down for this.  :p

You can read all about the idea here http://deskthority.net/keyboards-f2/the-surprisebox-worldwide-trip-2-t8624.html

Offline Novus

• Formerly the1onewolf
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Mondai nothing~
« Reply #31 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 17:09:04 »
Huh I did not realize this until today but you sent me the box spam :)

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #32 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 17:34:00 »
Huh I did not realize this until today but you sent me the box spam :)
:facepalm: