Author Topic: Help with Dead keys on Model F 122  (Read 1941 times)

Offline vivalarevolución

• Keep it real b/c any other way is too stressful
Help with Dead keys on Model F 122
« on: Wed, 18 March 2015, 20:51:29 »
Okay, I did a full refurb with new foam on my Model F 122 some time ago.  Some keys on the numpad do not register, I'm not sure why, and it's bugging me because I want all my keyboards to work smoothly.  Basically, the springs in these keys do not seem to be fully "buckling" or offering the same high-pitched click as the other keys.  With a Model F, the springs should move freely between the up and down position, but these springs are stubborn and stay in place in the up position.  I am using 1/8" foam, and I think that might be too thick or something, and bunching up in the numpad area.

Anybody experience this before and find a solution?
« Last Edit: Wed, 18 March 2015, 21:01:55 by prdlm2009 »
Wish I had some gif or quote for this space, but I got nothing

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Help with Dead keys on Model F 122
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 07:08:42 »
I would say that 1/8" is too thick for a 122-key unless it is very soft and compressible.

Also, make sure that the plates are pulled together properly over there. That end has its own edge tabs that can be bent in if need be.

My 3-bolt-mod makes it easier for me to get the center line pulled in solid and snug.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 08:16:05 »
I would say that 1/8" is too thick for a 122-key unless it is very soft and compressible.

Also, make sure that the plates are pulled together properly over there. That end has its own edge tabs that can be bent in if need be.

My 3-bolt-mod makes it easier for me to get the center line pulled in solid and snug.

Maybe I should have loosened the edge tabs over there before taking the whole thing apart.  Although a couple springs always seem to be "tight" somewhere on the board, so I'm not sure if loosening in one place would make a difference.

It's sorta soft foam, but not very soft.  It might be too tight with the 1/8" foam, and that is causing the springs to be stuck in place.  I have removed and reset the springs multiple times, but a couple in different parts of the board always seem to be too tight.  I probably will go back to the art foam for another mat, because 1/16" seems a little too thin for an F122.

Ideally, I think 3/32" would be perfect for an F122, but that seems to be an uncommon measurement for foam and not too many choices are available.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 09:05:22 »

Maybe I should have loosened the edge tabs over there before taking the whole thing apart. 

It might be too tight with the 1/8" foam, and that is causing the springs to be stuck in place. 

I probably will go back to the art foam for another mat, because 1/16" seems a little too thin for an F122.

Check the tabs and straighten them. Usually at least one was bent over in the factory.

The art foam that I bought at Michael's Art Supply http://www.michaels.com/creatology-foam-sheet-12x18/M10597609.html has always worked wonderfully for me. It is a little stiff and you have to wrestle with the parts to get them together, but I am nearly 3 years on with daily use and no problem.

I do agree, in theory, that a thicker and softer sheet might be better, that is what the originals were.
Citizens United violates the essence of what made America a great country in its political system. Now it’s just an oligarchy, with unlimited political bribery being the essence of getting the nominations for president or to elect the president.
So now we’ve just seen a complete subversion of our political system as a payoff to major contributors, who want and expect and sometimes get favors for themselves after the election’s over.”
- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 09:17:18 »
I will check those tabs.  It would be nice to be able to only adjust those tabs and solve my problem.  But I only know for sure when I have everything put back together and all the keys back on.  It's kinda annoying.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 11:02:00 »
everything put back together and all the keys back on.  It's kinda annoying.

I don't think that I have ever had one work perfectly on the first try.

Scoring by the 3rd attempt is my idea of victory.

- Jimmy Carter 2015

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 18:13:15 »
Tried swapping the hammers / springs from other barrels into those locations?  May not be the foam.  I had issues with some of the springs on my F107 - they just refused to buckle, or buckle in a useful direction.  Putting in other springs resolved the issue.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 18:24:35 »
Tried swapping the hammers / springs from other barrels into those locations?  May not be the foam.  I had issues with some of the springs on my F107 - they just refused to buckle, or buckle in a useful direction.  Putting in other springs resolved the issue.

No, I have not swap the springs or hammers.  That could work.  Although I have to put the whole thing back together and figure which springs are causing problems.  Ugh.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 19 March 2015, 18:24:48 »
Double post, oops.

Offline vivalarevolución

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 08:24:42 »
Some followup to this issue that I was having.  The problem had nothing to do with the foam, but actually a tiny bit of sticky residue where the pivot plate and barrel interact.  The sticky residue would cause the pivot plate and spring to stay in the "up" or "off" position, and would not move to register the key stroke when I would press the key.

So I change the barrel with the empty barrel on the space bar, cleaned the spring pivot plate, and everything worked.  So hopefully this could help anyone that has keys on their Model F that don't seem to register.