Author Topic: Help with JIS layout bottom row  (Read 1495 times)

Offline VinnyCordeiro

Help with JIS layout bottom row
« on: Fri, 27 March 2015, 19:21:59 »
I'm designing a 60% board that will support as many layouts as possible. Right now it has support for:
  • ANSI
  • ISO
  • ABNT 2 (which is an ISO/JIS hybrid layout. Yeah, Brazilian standard is weird.)
  • Partial JIS support (continue reading)
Now I'm trying to solve a problem with JIS layout: the bottom row. I'm trying to use as much standard keycaps as possible, so I reached this configuration: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/763af5efef5f020b4251799278bbdb66

The spacebar in the link is using a 1×2 keycap, but possibly can be changed with no problems to a 1×2.25 keycap (not in the mockup, though). Japanese typers: is that bottom row layout good enough? Any suggestions for changes? Remember: I'm trying to use standard keycaps.

Offline KRKS

• Your friendly neighbourhood umbrella
Re: Help with JIS layout bottom row
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 03:50:00 »
I think JIS spacebars are 2.5u, but I'm not sure.

What I'd actually do is change right winkey to 1u and use a blank right shift as a spacebar, since JIS uses a 1.75u one anyway.
The increasing power of Massdrop WILL kill the community group buys - don't come crying to me after it happens when you're too stupid to see it now. Join me in saving the community!

MD = NO $, NO EXCEPTIONS

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 05:39:16 »

What I'd actually do is change right winkey to 1u and use a blank right shift as a spacebar, since JIS uses a 1.75u one anyway.

JIS spacebars are 3 and 4.5u depending on whether you're using standard Filco JIS, or Filco minila.

Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline VinnyCordeiro

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 28 March 2015, 09:25:10 »

JIS spacebars are 3 and 4.5u depending on whether you're using standard Filco JIS, or Filco minila.

Yeah, that's why I have doubts. It seems that there isn't a rigid standard, or I can't find one. From what I researched, spacebar isn't needed in Japanese and Chinese as we Western language users need, that's why it's so tiny.

And 1×2.5 is exactly the keycap that I want to avoid, KRKS. I can't find it for sale on the aftermarket; SP don't sell them, for example. I think your suggestion would be fine, with a 1×2.75 spacebar: http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/#/layouts/f769d80f941f5b726f11d08273602532