Author Topic: What do artisan key cap makers use?  (Read 1391 times)

Offline Keyboardnoobb

What do artisan key cap makers use?
« on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 10:15:38 »
Hello everyone. I was curious as to what artisan key cap makers use: resin or injection molding,  and if injection molding,  can you really do that at home? I'll be honest,  I'm curious because I have a really great idea for a key cap that I think many people here would like,  but I'm not sure if anyone would like a resin key cap.
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 April 2015, 11:44:34 by Keyboardnoobb »

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Re: What do artisan key cap makers use?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 12:03:18 »
Play and experiment.  The only way to figure things out is to research and find what works best for you.  Everyone does things differently due to the resins and materials they use as well as environmental factors and tools available.  There is no easy ABC answer.

Offline BlueNalgene

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 12:13:25 »
Hello everyone. I was curious as to what artisan key cap makers use: resin or injection molding,  and if injection molding,  can you really do that at home? I'll be honest,  I'm curious because I have a really great idea for a key cap that I think many people here would like,  but I'm not sure if anyone would like a resin key cap.

Artisan makers that provide info on their process usually use an injected resin process.  Hot melt injection can be done at home, and there are some instructables out there which describe a method for making an injection oven.  This has been, as far as I know, largely unexplored by this community.

There are some great resources for beginning the casting process that I would recommend.  Particularly, I have felt these threads the most useful:

Binge's Capcraft Hub

Booper's Adventures in keycap making!

Messycap's Experiments

I also have a thread where I have been documenting my attempts and failure analysis.  You might find it useful, but modesty prevents me from including it with the above list.

BlueNalgene doing strange things

Perhaps these will answer some of your questions.  And if in doubt, ask.

Offline Keyboardnoobb

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 22:24:10 »
I really appreciate the help everyone. I just wasn't sure if there was maybe a preferred method. And I've seen some home injection mold machines,  but they're at least 500, so I didn't want to put that much into it. I'll just hope for the best with the resin. Tanks again.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 02 April 2015, 22:59:15 »
Good luck!
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline Keyboardnoobb

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 07:39:44 »