Author Topic: 40%/60% boards w/ bluetooth?  (Read 5308 times)

Offline alexofthewest

40%/60% boards w/ bluetooth?
« on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 07:36:08 »
What options currently exist for 40% or 60% mechanical keyboards with bluetooth functionality?
-I am only aware of the filco minila air, and after asking around how to build one, there was basicly no response so I gave that up.

-I really like my poker 2, but its starting to bug me having to write on reeeaaaally small desks that have to share the space with my cellphone mount and this pushes my wrists at REALLY extreme angles.  It would be nice to just put the board on my lap and not have to worry about wires. 

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
Re: 40%/60% boards w/ bluetooth?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 08:01:55 »
Well the first that comes to mind would be the Gon keyboards (40% and 60%). So you could just build a Gon board and add the optional BT module to it, and there you go

Offline inanis

• Truly Literally The Cloud
  • * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 08:36:05 »
Well the first that comes to mind would be the Gon keyboards (40% and 60%). So you could just build a Gon board and add the optional BT module to it, and there you go

I second this. ^ There was also talk of a Varmilo 60%-ish board some time ago (it was the same form factor as the FC660), but that appears to be vapor at this point.
Some hearts are gallows, I'm not here for hangin' around

Offline Baron Von Clop

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 08:44:07 »
There's this guy that you can use that makes anything a bluetooth device. $60, though.

Offline MAR82

• Keyboard Addict
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 08:45:41 »
There's this guy that you can use that makes anything a bluetooth device. $60, though.

I think I remember people saying that it doesn't work with all keyboards, but it is an option

Offline alexofthewest

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 09:16:54 »
The bluetooth adapter you mentioned would be a great alternative...except that adds another thing I have to make space for or balance on my lap.n  (assuming it works with the poker2 as you mentioned it may or may not)

-the gon keyboards sound like the only real option from what I am seeing, but I have a few concerns about them

-on gon's site, the gon skinny 60, the gon ns 38, gon ns 60, all do not come with the option to add wireless on his site.
--> only the "GON NS NerD Crystal Mobik"  and "GON NS NerD Crystal MX-MINI" seem to offer this option.  I do see the adapter on his site as a separate module, but does it work with ALL his boards or only those 2?
---->I asked Gon on his site this question about a week ago but I have not heart back yet.

-what size board is the nerd crystal mobik? I could be mistaken but it APPEARS to be smaller than the crystal mx-mini which mentions something about 70 keys?

this one appears to be the best option:
http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/group-buys/130-gon-ns-nerd-crystal-mobik-complete-diy-set.html

but aside from soldering in switches I am kind of at a loss for how to assemble this.

BTW- thanks for your super fast replies guys!

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 09:30:21 »
You have to remember that to get Bluetooth capabilities you must use a case that will allow the signal, so no aluminum case will do. For 60% the Nerd60 will work, but only with the Crystal case as noted on his site. http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/pcbs-and-controllers/113-nerd-60-ver20-pcb.html. The 40% Mobik also supports the wireless module, but I would caution that typing on a 40% is no small feat. If you are using it for gaming that is one thing, but if you plan on typing up paragraphs, term papers, emails or anything of length there is an enormous learning curve with a 40% design. Punctuation will prove to be your enemy. I have one, and while it has a purpose it is not ever likely to be used as a daily driver.

Assembling one of these could be daunting if this would be your first build. Some of these components are microscopically small. You could might want to practice on something before you jump into that kind of build. You could always have him assemble it, but that is significantly more expensive, and it will not be a quick turn around.

Offline alexofthewest

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 12:22:04 »
I might be willing to do it myself, it might be an interesting learning experience. Forgive my ignorance on this but, besides bluetooth being an option, what is it about gons boards that make them sooo much more expensive? (even if I assemble it myself, 250+ w/ self assembly is a hefty price tag I need to justify) Do they have other features I am not aware of?

*and which gon setup would you reccomend I go with? I understand that only the crystal cases work with bluetooth.

Offline inanis

• * Destiny Supporter
    • SEALWoodworking
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 12:45:07 »
GON, or a similar custom, command a higher price for many reasons. Fully programmable, LEDs, both on switch and on board of colors of your choosing. This way you can customize the glow effect on the sides and under the PCB, and on the switches if you so desire. Often the custom housings are specifically designed to showcase these features. The quality of materials used tends to be very high. And of course, like any "brand name" you are paying for the name, in this case being able to have Korean custom, which can be held in high regard.

Bluetooth is great and all, but you still are going to need to plug it in to charge it. Because these modules hold a charge for hours or days vs. weeks or months like a non-mechanical keyboard, it is going to be plugged in more often that it is not. You are greatly limiting yourself if that is a necessary feature. If you are sure you want to go down that path, I would advise not to get a 40% unless you are very, very sure what that entails from a productivity stand point.

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 16:13:57 »
You have to remember that to get Bluetooth capabilities you must use a case that will allow the signal, so no aluminum case will do. For 60% the Nerd60 will work, but only with the Crystal case as noted on his site. http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/pcbs-and-controllers/113-nerd-60-ver20-pcb.html. The 40% Mobik also supports the wireless module, but I would caution that typing on a 40% is no small feat. If you are using it for gaming that is one thing, but if you plan on typing up paragraphs, term papers, emails or anything of length there is an enormous learning curve with a 40% design. Punctuation will prove to be your enemy. I have one, and while it has a purpose it is not ever likely to be used as a daily driver.

Assembling one of these could be daunting if this would be your first build. Some of these components are microscopically small. You could might want to practice on something before you jump into that kind of build. You could always have him assemble it, but that is significantly more expensive, and it will not be a quick turn around.

Using a 40% is really preference based. My mobik is my go to board for portable

Offline alexofthewest

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 18:09:19 »
LEDs, both on switch and on board of colors of your choosing. This way you can customize the glow effect ...

Bluetooth is great and all, but you still are going to need to plug it in to charge it. Because these modules hold a charge for hours or days vs. weeks or months like a non-mechanical keyboard, it is going to be plugged in more often that it is not. You are greatly limiting yourself if that is a necessary feature. If you are sure you want to go down that path, I would advise not to get a 40% unless you are very, very sure what that entails from a productivity stand point.

You bring up very valid points. The thing is for me: The PRIMARY reason I am considering a custom is because of the bluetooth offering.  Lights on the kb are actually something I DON'T want because they drain battery.  I like mechanical keyboards because of the switches primarily.  You bring up very strong reasons for me not to get one, which is something I need to think about.

Id like to clarify what I use my portable keyboard for:  My poker2 right now is connected to my phone to rapidly type notes in class in replace of a laptop. I dont use this keyboard at home for gaming. I have a fullsize Das keyboard on my desk at home. It will not be used for things like gaming, (and I have no intention right now to get into coding because I am in medicine, not IT) Which brings me to another point:
--> what would you suggest the ideal keyboard would be for rapid note taking  // dictation?    I never tried a 40, so perhaps I am on the fence about it. But I really do love the poker, but right now its too big to fit on most of the surfaces I use it on.

Offline GL1TCH3D

• Audiophile, tea lover and now keyboard hugger!
« Reply #11 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 18:11:59 »
LEDs, both on switch and on board of colors of your choosing. This way you can customize the glow effect ...

You bring up very valid points. The thing is for me: The PRIMARY reason I am considering a custom is because of the bluetooth offering.  Lights on the kb are actually something I DON'T want because they drain battery.  I like mechanical keyboards because of the switches primarily.  You bring up very strong reasons for me not to get one, which is something I need to think about.

Id like to clarify what I use my portable keyboard for:  My poker2 right now is connected to my phone to rapidly type notes in class in replace of a laptop. I dont use this keyboard at home for gaming. I have a fullsize Das keyboard on my desk at home. It will not be used for things like gaming, (and I have no intention right now to get into coding because I am in medicine, not IT) Which brings me to another point:
--> what would you suggest the ideal keyboard would be for rapid note taking  // dictation?    I never tried a 40, so perhaps I am on the fence about it. But I really do love the poker, but right now its too big to fit on most of the surfaces I use it on.

I recommend trying a 40% before going for a korean 40% custom.
Also the GoN software actually disables LEDs while not plugged in to conserve battery. The keyboard on a full charge will outlast the battery on my tablet

Offline alexofthewest

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 19:32:32 »
I'm not aware of what 40s are out there or what they really cost,  relates to that, have you guys ever tried non staggered layouts? I wonder how those are.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 19:38:26 »
What do you mean by build a filco minila air?  Don't you just buy them from amazon?

Offline Tiramisuu

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 19:49:35 »

I have one of these and it doesn't work with my Poker 2
Keyboard error F1 to continue.

Poker 2, Gherkin, Lets Split, Planck, Filco

Offline Tiramisuu

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 19:56:18 »
The planck is my current favourite 40% but the jd40 is nice as well.
Bluetooth module that actually works nerd60 or the manila seem like a good choice.

I used a logitech dinovo edge for years before my poker 2 and I miss blue tooth.

Offline jackiecanev2

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 19:56:44 »
I'm just going to throw this out there for reference sake: the mobik clocks in at just under 30cm (~11.8") length but 10cm in width and 5cm with dsa keycaps - this is where the real space saving is. Depending on what kind your end goal is (footprint vs overall portability), it seems to me that a 60% form factor would probably suit you just as well, but with the exception of the minila air you're going into pricey custom territory.
| HHKB2 | Viper | 356.2 | Ducati | pitties | scalpels |

Offline Tiramisuu

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 03 April 2015, 20:01:20 »
This is bluetooth :)   Textblade.

Offline dux

« Reply #18 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 04:50:24 »
2 years after the OP: is Gon still the only option?

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 05:05:01 »
pomk's Pendula.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline ctm

• Hello, world!
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 08:03:41 »
There's also Anne PRO.
TMK Alps64 w/ Matias Quiet Switches in KBP V60 case.
Infinity60 with SKCM Orange Switches w/ TMK.
CM Storm QRF w/ Frosty Flake controller, Cherry MX Blue Switches and TMK firmware.

Coming:
Ellipse Model F F62.

Offline dux

« Reply #21 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 10:06:17 »
There's also Anne PRO.
Thank you for the answers. On Reddit they say they are currently working on a ISO-DE version of Anne Pro. Is there any 60% ISO w/ Bluetooth that has dedicated arrow keys? Is there a Bluetooth implementation for GH60 or Clueboard? Is there a 40% Bluetooth board?

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 20 April 2017, 11:01:10 »
Is there any 60% ISO w/ Bluetooth that has dedicated arrow keys?
pomk's Pendula.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff